Olympic Vigore

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Olympic Vigore

Post by Allsorts » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:50 am

Having owned and used both GL and Evergreen rods, I think the price differential reflects the difference between a great mainstream car and a tuned track car. Top end Evergreen bass rods like Inspirare are developed by pros to meet specific tournament requirements. K.Imae's Imakatsu blog details this process, taking years in many cases to finalise a particular rod. Every aspect of the rod's design is considered and tweaked. My personal view is that the price premium is proportionate, it just depends on whether you want a good rod or one honed to perfection by some of the best bassers in Japan.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:05 am

Anybody pull the trigger on these and can post a review with some pics of balance?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:12 am

Chode wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:05 am
Anybody pull the trigger on these and can post a review with some pics of balance?
I was ready to pull the trigger on one or two, then decided to send my daughters $500 each instead, as their income has been effected by the Wuhan Virus. A much more rewarding expendeture. I'll get one eventually!

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:06 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:12 am
Chode wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:05 am
I was ready to pull the trigger on one or two, then decided to send my daughters $500 each instead, as their income has been effected by the Wuhan Virus. A much more rewarding expendeture. I'll get one eventually!
Where are they available?

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:03 am

Are these much different than the previous series of Vigore? Those also had T1100g blankds and in my option nicer styling.

http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/fishing/products/vigore/

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:39 am

These look awesome and that video is wonderful. =D>
I wish that 7’1H was a full grip, that would be an instant buy.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 pm

Cranky wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:43 am
Still seems too good to be true given the cost of components factored in, Ti/TZ are extremely expensive guides plus obviously the nano T1100G blanks. Certainly look legit on paper tho! Be great to see some real world TT feedback come in on these once they’re in more hands. 71H casting and 742 spinning are what I’ve got my eye on first.

The 71H weight/length is interestingly similar to the EG Super Stallion but with the Quattro only to the first guide. Ratings aren’t apples to apples though based on EG usually rating way too high.
I have the EG SS GT and the 3oz upper limit seems very correct. I do fish the old Deps Sillent killer (converted) which is a hair short of 3oz with the SS and found it to be very at ease even with full sing casts.

I have other EG rods ranging form Temujins to FACT and all seem very spot on. Just different philosophy from USDM concerning the taper. Also USDM rods are usually under rated to avoid warranty related issues.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:37 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 pm
Cranky wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:43 am
Still seems too good to be true given the cost of components factored in, Ti/TZ are extremely expensive guides plus obviously the nano T1100G blanks. Certainly look legit on paper tho! Be great to see some real world TT feedback come in on these once they’re in more hands. 71H casting and 742 spinning are what I’ve got my eye on first.

The 71H weight/length is interestingly similar to the EG Super Stallion but with the Quattro only to the first guide. Ratings aren’t apples to apples though based on EG usually rating way too high.
I have the EG SS GT and the 3oz upper limit seems very correct. I do fish the old Deps Sillent killer (converted) which is a hair short of 3oz with the SS and found it to be very at ease even with full sing casts.

I have other EG rods ranging form Temujins to FACT and all seem very spot on. Just different philosophy from USDM concerning the taper. Also USDM rods are usually under rated to avoid warranty related issues.
I’m glad you posted this because I don’t throw big baits very often. I am clearly not as comfortable throwing baits in the upper limits of the rod ratings as you are. It just goes to show everyone is going to be different when you have the rod in your hands. This is why I always say it’s good to get people’s opinions but if you really wanna know what a rod is going to fish like you have to try it for yourself.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri May 01, 2020 4:01 am

domthewon wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:37 pm
It just goes to show everyone is going to be different when you have the rod in your hands. This is why I always say it’s good to get people’s opinions but if you really wanna know what a rod is going to fish like you have to try it for yourself.
Indeed.

Another thing I notice is the effect of line.

If you have a rod with the following ratings: 3/8 - 3oz 12-30lb, you might be comfortably casting 2oz with 16lb-20lb. Once you go to a 3oz bait with the same line, the rod seems stressed. Now you change to 25-30lb and its just fine casting 3oz.

Might be a placebo effect but is my experience.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Fri May 01, 2020 5:15 am

I’ve fished the SS a lot too, we are definitely opposite opinions on USDM/JDM ratings. I think it’s just personal preference and casting style. I lean way more toward heavier powered rods for my fishing style, doesn’t matter if it’s casting or spinning, a Mother or Ned rig, I’m going to err on the more powerful side. I’m also not a lob caster and typically throw low trajectory casts with a hard/piercing launch, almost always fishing the higher power rods at the top of their line rating with fluoro or far exceeding it with braid.

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Fri May 01, 2020 2:33 pm

Where can I buy a Vigore?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat May 02, 2020 10:24 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:01 am
domthewon wrote:
It just goes to show everyone is going to be different when you have the rod in your hands. This is why I always say it’s good to get people’s opinions but if you really wanna know what a rod is going to fish like you have to try it for yourself.
Indeed.

If you have a rod with the following ratings: 3/8 - 3oz 12-30lb, you might be comfortably casting 2oz with 16lb-20lb. Once you go to a 3oz bait with the same line, the rod seems stressed. Now you change to 25-30lb and its just fine casting 3oz.

Thats interesting and makes some sense. The thicker heavier lines have less stretch on heavier baits and could make a difference. I might try that to see if I notice a difference on the same rod. Thanks

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sat May 02, 2020 5:08 pm

domthewon wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:24 am
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:01 am
domthewon wrote:
Indeed.

Thats interesting and makes some sense. The thicker heavier lines have less stretch on heavier baits and could make a difference. I might try that to see if I notice a difference on the same rod. Thanks
I'm looking forward for your results.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Sat May 02, 2020 5:20 pm

kyty wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:33 pm
Where can I buy a Vigore?
I've seen a few 2020 Vigore on Rakuten Japan, I believe they just started selling.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat May 02, 2020 6:18 pm

Are their line of rods well balanced? Someone with pics would be nice