Spool options for IP68

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
User avatar
TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:02 am
Location: Midlothian, Illinois

Spool options for IP68

Post by TommyG » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:34 am

The stock spool in the IP68 is not giving me the distance I would like. Looking for a " long bomb" spool for 6xd, 8xd etc.
Thanks in advance :D

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 12:24 pm
Location: Donkin, Nova Scotia

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by adam lancia » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:45 am

100M or HLC would be good starting points

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 543
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:59 am

adam lancia wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:45 am
100M or HLC would be good starting points
Which HLC spool is better? Dimpled spool or i'ze with holes in it?

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by MountainMan 83 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:09 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:59 am
adam lancia wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:45 am
100M or HLC would be good starting points
Which HLC spool is better? Dimpled spool or i'ze with holes in it?
I've read on here that the stock dimpled spool is a little more "wild" than the I'ze spool. I have the stock HLC spool but haven't had a chance to throw it yet. Hopefully someone who has thrown both will chime in.

The stock HLC spool weighs 15.3 grams with bearing if anyone is interested.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2263
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:42 pm

TD Zillion HLC and cast it HARD.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by MountainMan 83 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:35 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:42 pm
TD Zillion HLC and cast it HARD.
I cant wait...that's my kinda spool!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4009
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by goldrod » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:22 pm

TommyG wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:34 am
The stock spool in the IP68 is not giving me the distance I would like. Looking for a " long bomb" spool for 6xd, 8xd etc.
Thanks in advance :D
I have a dimpled Zillion HLC in my TDZ M paired with a laminglas 7'4" rod and I'm using fluorocarbon. 14lb and I can put any trap or crank in orbit no wildness or anything. IN fact I can literally cast with all my might and just hold the rod and no back lash
Sometimes in life, you are the bug and sometimes your the windshield.
Instagram is @1ncetime

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5999
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:22 pm

Zillion G1 1016SV
Steez G1 1012SV
Steez limited 105
I'm sure someone can chime in with some awesome spring and inductor mods. The Tdz Type R spool comes to mind.

User avatar
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 am
Location: Glen Carbon, Illinois

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:32 pm

I thought the IP spool was supposed to be awesome. Are the magnets in the IP extra strong?

User avatar
Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: N.E. Ohio

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by Bass Junkie » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:32 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:22 pm
Zillion G1 1016SV
Steez G1 1012SV
Steez limited 105
I'm sure someone can chime in with some awesome spring and inductor mods. The Tdz Type R spool comes to mind.
The IP68 is based off the OG Zillion frame and would need spacers to run these spools. Just a heads up O:)

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5999
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:48 am

My bad. I thought I read IS, not IP.

User avatar
TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:02 am
Location: Midlothian, Illinois

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by TommyG » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:32 pm
I thought the IP spool was supposed to be awesome. Are the magnets in the IP extra strong?
It's a good spool, just not a long caster, at least for me.

User avatar
TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:02 am
Location: Midlothian, Illinois

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by TommyG » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:51 am

Thanks Guys :D 100M or TD Zillion HLC it is.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 12:24 pm
Location: Donkin, Nova Scotia

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by adam lancia » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:10 am

TommyG wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 am
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:32 pm
I thought the IP spool was supposed to be awesome. Are the magnets in the IP extra strong?
It's a good spool, just not a long caster, at least for me.
The stock IP spool is identical to a J-Dream spool but the magnets in the IP reels are stronger than in a Zillion, that's why you're feeling like it's really choked off.

User avatar
TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:02 am
Location: Midlothian, Illinois

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by TommyG » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:55 am

adam lancia wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:10 am
TommyG wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 am
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:32 pm
I thought the IP spool was supposed to be awesome. Are the magnets in the IP extra strong?
It's a good spool, just not a long caster, at least for me.
The stock IP spool is identical to a J-Dream spool but the magnets in the IP reels are stronger than in a Zillion, that's why you're feeling like it's really choked off.
Yup, choked off for sure. It' s been on the shelf for a quite a while, time to get some use out of it. I hope a different spool will wake it up a bit.

Post Reply