Spool options for IP68

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spool options for IP68

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:40 am

TommyG wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:55 am
adam lancia wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:10 am
TommyG wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 am
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:32 pm
I thought the IP spool was supposed to be awesome. Are the magnets in the IP extra strong?
It's a good spool, just not a long caster, at least for me.
The stock IP spool is identical to a J-Dream spool but the magnets in the IP reels are stronger than in a Zillion, that's why you're feeling like it's really choked off.
Yup, choked off for sure. It' s been on the shelf for a quite a while, time to get some use out of it. I hope a different spool will wake it up a bit.
Do you have a regular Zillion? Try the spool in it or swap the magnets mechanisms between reels.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:05 am

I have an unaltered IP79. The magnets are stock and I have a PE spool in it.
I really don’t have any issues with it. It’s mounted on a power versatile rod and will flick a lure 3/8oz. I took the stock spool and dropped it in a tuned TDZ 100–M. So for clarity I have two 100M reels. One has the zillion HLC spool with dimples and the other the IP79 spool. I do like the 79 spool and cast crank baits with both set ups but I think you’ll be most pleased with the HLC spool with the simples in that platform but depending on line size a PE spool in your IP68 would be the ultimate indulgence of pleasure. IMHO
I am curious as to what rod are you using as well. The rod does play a huge roll when trying to get distance
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:05 am

I really don’t have any issues with it. It’s mounted on a power versatile rod and will flick a lure 3/8oz. I took the stock spool and dropped it in a tuned TDZ 100–M. So for clarity I have two 100M reels. One has the zillion HLC spool with dimples and the other the IP79 spool. I do like the 79 spool and cast crank baits with both set ups but I think you’ll be most pleased with the HLC spool with the simples in that platform but depending on line size a PE spool in your IP68 would be the ultimate indulgence of pleasure. IMHO
I am curious as to what rod are you using as well. The rod does play a huge roll when trying to get distance
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:26 am

I have an extra brake magnet set plate assembly for a righty OG Zillion if you want to try that route.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:25 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:40 am
TommyG wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
TommyG wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
I thought the IP spool was supposed to be awesome. Are the magnets in the IP extra strong?
The stock IP spool is identical to a J-Dream spool but the magnets in the IP reels are stronger than in a Zillion, that's why you're feeling like it's really choked off.
Yup, choked off for sure. It' s been on the shelf for a quite a while, time to get some use out of it. I hope a different spool will wake it up a bit.
Do you have a regular Zillion? Try the spool in it or swap the magnets mechanisms between reels.
I have 2 J-Dream's but I don't have an IP or an HLC spool anymore. They were just too fast for how I cast, and I modified the J-Dream spools to take the black Ray's Studio inductor

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:45 am

I have no idea what the inductor spring is like in the IP, but I would start with an R+ or HLC spring to see if that helps. They are probably stiffer, which will decrease the magnet force. Has anybody tried this?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:41 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
I think so. My stock spool is a great all arounder. Light weight and controlled enough to be almost SV like when skipping but more free and long casting than an SV when I want it to be. As a dedicated long caster of 1/2 oz and up the HLC beats it but is worse in every other way. I use my HLC spool with braid for frogs and flouro on the stock spool for jigs and plastics. Rod is a gen 1 Orochi PP.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:42 pm

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:26 am
I have an extra brake magnet set plate assembly for a righty OG Zillion if you want to try that route.
Of course I have a lefty!

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:44 pm

toddmc wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:45 am
I have no idea what the inductor spring is like in the IP, but I would start with an R+ or HLC spring to see if that helps. They are probably stiffer, which will decrease the magnet force. Has anybody tried this?
I do have a R+ spring, may be an improvement!

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:51 pm

goldrod wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:05 am
For the heavier lures i have an old Kistler 7-8 a- rig rod. Currently trying out the 7-6 hvy feel n reel.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:40 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:25 am
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:40 am
TommyG wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
TommyG wrote:

I have 2 J-Dream's but I don't have an IP or an HLC spool anymore. They were just too fast for how I cast, and I modified the J-Dream spools to take the black Ray's Studio inductor
If memory serves, I think the JDream leans the other way. I'm pretty sure it has weaker magnets than a stock Zillion, kinda like an OG Steez.

DaveJ