Show off your bigbait setups!!!

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Show off your bigbait setups!!!

Post by ogrich31 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:14 am

^^ Whoops, didn't realize this was the enthusiast section. ](*,) I don't consider those enthusiasts tackle, although some would consider the Onager to be.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:26 pm

Dude; you can post a picture of a bass that gobbled an entire 8 inch slab of hud anywhere you want as far as I’m concerned. Cool gear too.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:11 am

Rod: F5 Blacklist Microwave BLK800
Reel: Antares 18 DC MD

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:26 am

SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:11 am

Elegant and stunning. !!
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:10 am

goldrod wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:26 am
SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:

Elegant and stunning. !!
Thank you! Im not sure what im getting myself into. haha. My BFS addiction is pretty bad but then im looking at big baits and damn they are expensive and each one hard to find.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:28 pm

SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:

Wow; my daily session is over, but seeing this beast made me want to go out again. That’s a mean looking setup. Love the mad dog, as I call it, with the varial.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:08 pm

Discussion time. How does the LIN/Ryoga 1016 reel fair with big baits capacity wise? I've got my LIN 10 Black Jungle on my Hyuga 72H 1/2oz to 4oz rod and love the way it looks but thought the puny little 34mm spool is too shallow and narrow for big bait up to 3 oz use. I can already cast all the 65# braid out of a TD Zillion with a frog so a big bait is surety out of the question for a 34mm spool reel or am I off base on this? Do big baits actually cast poorly and get beat by frogs in distance? At only 7'2'' and rated up to 4 oz is the Hyuga insufficient to really bomb a 3oz bait anyways? I'm looking for a reel to do some frogging/multipurpose and dabble in 2 to 3 oz range big baits on the 72H Hyuga. The stock spool on the LIN is pretty overbraked so it should be able to control the big baits well. I was thinking going Zillion TW HD or Catalina TW and putting the LIN back on the X4 711.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:08 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:08 pm
Discussion time. How does the LIN/Ryoga 1016 reel fair with big baits capacity wise? I've got my LIN 10 Black Jungle on my Hyuga 72H 1/2oz to 4oz rod and love the way it looks but thought the puny little 34mm spool is too shallow and narrow for big bait up to 3 oz use. I can already cast all the 65# braid out of a TD Zillion with a frog so a big bait is surety out of the question for a 34mm spool reel or am I off base on this? Do big baits actually cast poorly and get beat by frogs in distance? At only 7'2'' and rated up to 4 oz is the Hyuga insufficient to really bomb a 3oz bait anyways? I'm looking for a reel to do some frogging/multipurpose and dabble in 2 to 3 oz range big baits on the 72H Hyuga. The stock spool on the LIN is pretty overbraked so it should be able to control the big baits well. I was thinking going Zillion TW HD or Catalina TW and putting the LIN back on the X4 711.

I think it depends on how you fish your big baits and 1016 should work just fine in a lot of cases. Fishing deep, open, and very clear water in CA or Arizona often comes to mind as a sort of benchmark when slinging big baits, and those guys toss them a country mile and then wind back. But, I think there are many other ways to fish a big bait depending on what’s available in your area. You look at the Japanese bank anglers and they’re tossing these huge 6 oz baits into small canals in close quarters combat. In some cases, they are almost pitching the baits and those cases, they don’t require 200 or more sized spools. Even when I’m fishing open water in FL with bigger baits, I’m usually casting the bait about 40-50 yards at most, which gives me plenty of room for .40 mm line diameter.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:08 am
LowRange wrote:

I think it depends on how you fish your big baits and 1016 should work just fine in a lot of cases. Fishing deep, open, and very clear water in CA or Arizona often comes to mind as a sort of benchmark when slinging big baits, and those guys toss them a country mile and then wind back. But, I think there are many other ways to fish a big bait depending on what’s available in your area. You look at the Japanese bank anglers and they’re tossing these huge 6 oz baits into small canals in close quarters combat. In some cases, they are almost pitching the baits and those cases, they don’t require 200 or more sized spools. Even when I’m fishing open water in FL with bigger baits, I’m usually casting the bait about 40-50 yards at most, which gives me plenty of room for .40 mm line diameter.
Thanks for the insight. I'll have to pick up some weedless soft plastic big baits to try out 1st and then make a decision from there.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:01 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:08 am
LowRange wrote:

I have a 72H Hyuga with a sv103 on it and this is is more or less how I use it, as a versatile heavy rod for short range fishing. I use 40lb PP on a Zillion SV spool and rarely cast off more then half the line. I also think the 72H tops out at 2.5oz-ish, a little more for treble hooked lures. One of the things I love about it is how well it handles a fish that hits very close to me both in terms of hooks sets and keeping them on the line.