American Blanks...is it ever going to happen?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

American Blanks...is it ever going to happen?

Post by BassKat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:54 am

It seems the blank tech of the best US builders, like Kistler (Northfork LMX-Ray), Phenix K2 (T-46 Toray), and St. Croix (SCVI), lag the latest JDM blanks (Torayca® T1100G NanoAlloy & Torayca® M40X). Although the blanks are amazing, Northfork seems content to sell flagship blanks long after their associated infrastructure must be fully depreciated. I get that the bulk of US consumers demand price over quality, but the moderate cost difference between Z-Bones / K2s and the best JDM blanks "should" make that argument at least somewhat moot.

With at least five JDM builders (Poison, Olympic, Evergreen, Steez, Luxxe) tripping over each other for the latest tech, will there likely ever be a US builder that early adopts the newest blank techs? A Shimano-Jackal or Diawa domestic offering of JDM tech would be great, but it's not what I'm talking about. It would be great to have a cutting edge US blank producer step up to directly supply quality builders like Kistler, Phenix, etc. w/ the latest tech for detail-oriented, minimalist US builds on cutting edge blanks. Ever going to happen?
My Personal Worst https://photos.app.goo.gl/hHVeZoRFzGt5s4LfA

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: American Blanks...is it ever going to happen?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:39 am

What specific part of the manufacturing process are you referring to? Aside from the actual carbon and components used, remaining processes such as resin concoctions, cutting and rolling techniques, blank structure and mandrels are proprietary. The only thing I find different are taper specific qualities, which again are attributed to processes, more so than materials. Otherwise, I don't find a whole lot of improvement in the JDM companies you mention. Even within a particular line of blanks, some can be better than others. As for actual on the water experiences, if you can feel and detect anything you need to, what more does one need. A rod doesn't always need to be feather light or perfectly balanced. I do feel that the Japanese often offer better craftsmanship and attention to detail. That being said, I would still rather design my own. If Olympic decided to make their blanks available for purchase to the public, I would most certainly add some to the custom stable.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. Since it generally means thinner walls, less weight, greater elasticity, and more strength, I was referring to the very earliest utilization of the latest carbons/resins. To utilize new materials, each manufacturer's proprietary processes have to be updated. When you look at the materials/processes turnover in the JDM market, it just seems to churn violently compared to the US market. I think that the Z-Bones are amazing and I've been wanting to try a K2. Then, when I look to the JDM market, I don't know where to start.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:50 pm

While the American market wants long no fault warranties there's not much motivation for them to make higher modulus thin walled blanks that require care in use, not being trodden on, bounced around in rod lockers and being used to boat flip 5 pounders. :lol: :lol:

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Man, Tim...now there's a big chunk of the truth! I have a St. Croix LE and I love their approach on warranty (with upgrade capability).

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:25 pm

Yeah, I don't want to fish with something I have to delicately coddle at all times. I still want to enjoy the objective of my purpose. Landing fish can be fast and furious, and constant concern for my rod can make me lose fish and focus.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:05 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:25 pm
Yeah, I don't want to fish with something I have to delicately coddle at all times. I still want to enjoy the objective of my purpose. Landing fish can be fast and furious, and constant concern for my rod can make me lose fish and focus.
this is why I don't use my aaron marten limited destroyer phase 3, great rod but im afraid ill break it and not be able to replace it! I fish the hell out of my st croixs and lesser megabass rods, but I don't take the P3 out very often

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:38 am

Well, you won't boat flip a 5lber with a same power rating rod as the AM if it was a St Croix/GLoomis right? I flip bass all the time with my expensive Evergreen rods, as long as its in the power rating. I don't see why Japanese rods cant flip or be rattled and thrown around when you would with an NRX equivalent. My buddy does it all the time with his Steez rods, some of which are imported models that doesn't cover with US warranty. Just don't be an idiot and jerk the fish in, let the rod load with a smooth lift as you would normally do with any rod. Even if my rods were all affordable Shimano Zodias, i would still take care of them and not throw them around like garbage. I guess the guy fishing with only ugly stick would feel the same comparing to expensive St Croix/Loomis/Kistler with warranty or not.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:33 am

If anything high end rods with T1100G nano are far stronger when you compare them on a weight basis.

As for the USDM vs JDM question the markets are driven by different factors and generally late(r) adoption in the USDM is just the way it is. It’s a matter of perspective though, if you took a pole of marketers at each USDM company they would of course tell you their flagship model uses all the latest state of the art materials/tech.

I think eventually some enterprising small businesses (that key on early adoption) will start building USDM small batch rods with crazy tech BUT the highest margins and logical business models are in actually building the rods, not developing “the next” blank materials; CF, resin, guides, etc. They’re PROBABLY not going to build the next nanotech CF high performance aerospace material, the next guide ring that exceeds SiC or TZ, etc out of their garage any more likely than someone is going to build the next best iPhone from scratch now.