Megabass F4-69RSDti Orochi Evolution

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Sean04
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Megabass F4-69RSDti Orochi Evolution

Post by Sean04 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:17 pm

From what I have read, both the 2015 and the Original (2006?) are regarded as top tier drop shot rods. I am wondering what the main differences between the different years are. Is there a difference in sensitivity, blanks, stinger tip? Also, to any owners, how do they stack up sensitivity wise with X7's, NRX's, etc.

jdbassman32
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Megabass F4-69RSDti Orochi Evolution

Post by jdbassman32 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:54 am

I had the 2015 and it was a great DR rod. However, I like the NRX 822 DSR much more and sold the Megabass. I felt like the sensitivity was better on the NRX and the fear of breaking the Megabass scared me a bit. With the Loomis it is still made and can be replaced if broken.

Sean04
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Sean04 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:05 am

The stinger tip does scare me a little bit. When you first made a cast with the NRX, was it like "wow I have been missing details with the Megabass" or more refined as details that the Megabass picked up were just more clear with the NRX?

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:58 am

I have both the 2015 Hedgehog and the NRX 822.

The stinger tip made me nervous at first--now, I don't worry about it, I just make sure that I don't take steep angles when fighting a fish. In fact, the rod's taper is interesting as after the hookset, it bends into some really strong backbone (more than the 822). The stinger tip feels like a spring to me and is almost like a strike indicator. Given that it is extra fast, it does allow for the quick response of lift and reel for drop shotting.

For sensitivity, I would give the nod to the NRX as its "harder" tip provides more instant feel versus the stinger tip being a "strike indicator" for me.

I think that both rods are excellent and if you like to drop shot or ned rig; either rod is terrific for those applications (as well as small senkos, light t-rigs, etc.

Perhaps, where the rods "separate" for some would be the NRX has a warranty and can be replaced where as the Hedgehog does not if you can find one.

Sean04
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Sean04 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:06 am

Thanks so much for the detailed response, seems like the hedgehog fits my needs perfectly. Considering this rod will be fighting some big smallmouth (hopefully), I think the extra backbone coupled with the price I can get the hedgehog at make it the right choice. Thank you both for the information!

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:53 am

Sean04 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:06 am
Thanks so much for the detailed response, seems like the hedgehog fits my needs perfectly. Considering this rod will be fighting some big smallmouth (hopefully), I think the extra backbone coupled with the price I can get the hedgehog at make it the right choice. Thank you both for the information!
One last thought--a smooth drag helps the stinger tip. Since the rod gets to the backbone quickly, a smooth drag helps those harder fighting fish and your putting less "pressure" on the tip. I use a Shimano Vanquish with 6 lb. flouro w/the Hedgehog setup.

Of course, a smooth drag helps you w/the fish w/any rod, but I think it matters more w/the stinger tip.

Again, I really like both rods and think both are awesome for drop shotting/ned rigs. The price for the rod and the warranty issue are what separates them for me.

Sean04
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Sean04 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:16 am

Do you think a 2500 certate would do the job? Or should I upsize to a 3000 for the better drag?

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:36 pm

Sean04 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:16 am
Do you think a 2500 certate would do the job? Or should I upsize to a 3000 for the better drag?
I use a smaller reel for the Hedgehog--the Vanquish 2500. I'm not as familiar w/the Daiwa spinning reels. I'm sure that that model has a smooth drag. I choose the smaller reel due to all that I'm doing w/the rod is drop shot, ned rig and smaller senkos, so line capacity isn't an issue and the drag is smooth enough to handle any bigger fish.

I think that the choice of reels would come down to what else you might do with it.

Sean04
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Sean04 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:55 pm

Sounds like a 2500 will get the job done. I appreciate the input! Thank you so much!