Luxxe Oltre power/action??

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Luxxe Oltre power/action??

Post by Tigerbass » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:59 pm

For those that have them, can someone describe the power and action of both the B69MH and the B70H rods? Is there a significant difference in action between the two rods? I know they are touted as jig/worm rods, so I assume they are fast action. Do they have the progressive taper of some of the other high end JDM rods? I assume they are primarily single hook bait rods?

Thanks for your help.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Luxxe Oltre power/action??

Post by domthewon » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:32 pm

Tigerbass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:59 pm
For those that have them, can someone describe the power and action of both the B69MH and the B70H rods? Is there a significant difference in action between the two rods? I know they are touted as jig/worm rods, so I assume they are fast action. Do they have the progressive taper of some of the other high end JDM rods? I assume they are primarily single hook bait rods?

Thanks for your help.
Personally I use my B70 H as a 1/2 oz jig rod and yes it definitely has a progressive taper. It's powerful enough to bury the hooks, and has the taper keep fish pinned. Both are very similar in taper to me, and feel and look like they are between a fast and mod fast. Both rod ratings start at 3/16 and the B69mh is rated to 1oz while the B70H is to 1 1/4oz. The B70h is definitely more powerful as it should be. I use my B69mh for all sorts of baits. Right now I have mono and a snap on it and keep it as a versatile rod for whatever. I throw topwater poppers and walkers, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, and also crankbaits mostly depending on whatever other rods I bring out. I always have an extra versatile rod with mono or braid and a snap so I can make quick adjustments on the fly. It's also so I can keep it at 9 rods or less that I bring out with me. The mono gives me a little stretch for treble hook baits, but the rod is powerful enough that single hook baits work excellent also. You might read this and think spinnerbaits and buzzbaits on a snap? Yes, I throw silicone/rubber jig skirt bands on the line tie of all of my SB's and BB's. It makes switching baits take a second or so and gives me the opportunity to hit a spot on top and subsurface depending on what I see. It also doesn't hinder their performance, while the snap improves the action of walking baits for me. Not that you asked, but thought I'd add that anyways. Both are great rods, and I'm happy to have them.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:56 am

Thanks for the feedback, dom. How does the B69 handle baits on the lower end of the rating? Can it handle 1/4oz (with the right reel) effectively?

As for snaps, the other day I finally ordered some 1.5 and 2 size Decoy egg snaps. Like you, wanted the ability to change out more easily without re-tying every time. Also, want to use them on my top water walking baits for more action. Have read really good things about them.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:42 am

Tigerbass wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:56 am
Thanks for the feedback, dom. How does the B69 handle baits on the lower end of the rating? Can it handle 1/4oz (with the right reel) effectively?

As for snaps, the other day I finally ordered some 1.5 and 2 size Decoy egg snaps. Like you, wanted the ability to change out more easily without re-tying every time. Also, want to use them on my top water walking baits for more action. Have read really good things about them.
To be honest I don’t think I’ve thrown a bait that light on my B69mh, or will. I throw mostly 3/8 oz blades in general because I like to keep them above submerged grass, but still need the weight to cast them a good distance. I fish the CA delta primarily and with the fluctuation of the water level and current it’s just easier to narrow my the majority of my baits to 1 or 2 sizes like 3/8-1/2. Even the walking baits I use with smaller profiles are pretty heavy. I’ve used the decoy snaps for a few years now and love them. For some baits they just don’t work for me though. The locking wire on the snap doesn’t fit through the line tie on some baits because it’s doubled over for strength. I alternate between the decoy eggs and the owner welded snaps. I’ve heard some negative feedback on the owners that the welds crack, but that hasn’t been my experience. I find the owners to be some of the most weedless snaps available. I tend to use them more on my mono and flouro lines because of the stretch in the line. They are lighter and don’t weigh down the front of my walking or popping baits too much either. I use the decoys on my rods with braid due to line strength and no stretch because they are the stronger snaps. There are a few guys on here that have a B69 that might be able to give you some insight on the weight range of baits they throw but I won’t tell you something I haven’t tried for myself.
Here’s some taper pics of both rods. I didn’t put a set weight for these pics it’s just me setting the hook on a stationary object to give you an idea. I am also trying to hold my phone which is why the heavier load pics look like slightly different angles, but they are very similar in person. Also I don’t know why my pics always come out sideways, but sorry about that. Hope this helps some.
B69 light load
BE21B61A-84A6-4E1B-99C2-B07B93FE9E0F.jpeg
BE21B61A-84A6-4E1B-99C2-B07B93FE9E0F.jpeg (34.33 KiB) Viewed 5400 times
B70 light load
F64F036D-4C96-4AFF-B6BC-52841397BDCA.jpeg
F64F036D-4C96-4AFF-B6BC-52841397BDCA.jpeg (32.27 KiB) Viewed 5400 times
B69 heavier load
3DD2E96C-1FB8-4FC6-97ED-F473845FFC20.jpeg
3DD2E96C-1FB8-4FC6-97ED-F473845FFC20.jpeg (30.91 KiB) Viewed 5400 times
B70 heavier load.
9A02FCB1-E04A-4FEA-B837-6DE1A742BFE2.jpeg
9A02FCB1-E04A-4FEA-B837-6DE1A742BFE2.jpeg (30.54 KiB) Viewed 5400 times

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:49 am

The lightest I’ve gone is a 5 in senko style weightless with the 69mh. I can launch it as far as my reel will allow.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:43 am

I think these reviews are spot on having fished the B70H a bunch too. Can’t comment on the 69MH. Dom you’re awesome for posting such great rod load pics all the time, thanks for doing that.

As an add on to this topic has anyone ever fished or handled the Oltre S63L spinning rod? I’ve looked at it so many times for Ned or similar light rigs but have never seen a single review for it anywhere, only a few YouTube Luxxe videos. My gut feel is it’s under powered for what I generally like but maybe the Ti tip is stiffer like the casting models?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:30 am

Cranky wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:43 am
I think these reviews are spot on having fished the B70H a bunch too. Can’t comment on the 69MH. Dom you’re awesome for posting such great rod load pics all the time, thanks for doing that.

As an add on to this topic has anyone ever fished or handled the Oltre S63L spinning rod? I’ve looked at it so many times for Ned or similar light rigs but have never seen a single review for it anywhere, only a few YouTube Luxxe videos. My gut feel is it’s under powered for what I generally like but maybe the Ti tip is stiffer like the casting models?
No worries a picture says a thousand words like they say.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:10 pm

domthewon wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:30 am
Cranky wrote:

dom, thank you for your feedback and your pics. You are correct, pictures are worth a thousand words. And those pics look like a pretty fast taper to me.

I pulled the trigger on the B69MH as a somewhat short single hook type rod. I have something else in the works for the longer heavy powered rod.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:20 pm

Tigerbass wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:10 pm
domthewon wrote:
Cranky wrote:

dom, thank you for your feedback and your pics. You are correct, pictures are worth a thousand words. And those pics look like a pretty fast taper to me.

I pulled the trigger on the B69MH as a somewhat short single hook type rod. I have something else in the works for the longer heavy powered rod.
Sweet! They are awesome for that, and like Polkfish mentioned senkos as well. Since they’re discontinued now it’s not gonna get any easier finding one in the future. Congrats!

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:27 pm

Cranky wrote:

Cranky, with all of the talk of the Ultimas, Steez RD, Luxxe, etc. bait casting rods I have also been poking some of the spinning rods. However, most appear to be underpowered (UL, L, or maybe ML) for what I think I want in a spinning rod, and very short as well!! Lots of 6’ to 6’6”.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:55 pm

Tigerbass wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:10 pm
domthewon wrote:
Cranky wrote:

This is a nice pickup. Although I’m sure whatever Gamakatsu luxxe has up their sleeves will be awesome, I predict the oltres will be something difficult to duplicate as they have a feel all their own. It took me a long while to land both this model and the 70h and those are two rods I don’t plan on ever letting go and can only hope I don’t break either. These just weren’t easy to find even when they were in production.