Evergreen rod for smaller swimbaits

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Evergreen rod for smaller swimbaits

Post by hungry_cow » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:57 pm

What Evergreen rod would you recommend for smaller swimbaits, mostly stuff in the 1.75 - 3 oz range? I was thinking the Super Stallion or maybe the Grand Stallion GTX since its longer. It doesn't have to be Evergreen but that would be my top choice.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Evergreen rod for smaller swimbaits

Post by Cranky » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:54 am

For me the Super Stallion is way underpowered for those weights as your bread and butter. To me that’s more of a 1/2-2oz rod. Two options would be the Grand Cobra or Grand Stallion GTX. The Grand Cobra has a softer more parabolic action than the Grand Stallion GTX. Basically you’d be fishing the Grand Cobra toward the high end of its spec and loading deeper on the cast with less overall power on the hookset (but still plenty). On the Grand Stallion GTX you’re gonna be right in its sweet spot for casting and have lots of reserve hook setting power, but be aware the rod is going to fish sharper and faster action that the Grand Cobra. So depending on your preference for Swimbaits (trebles vs single hook action) you might lean toward one or the other. Some ppl really prefer a softer more moderate/parabolic action for treble hook Swimbaits but I’m generally not one of those ppl.

For me I’m all-in with the Grand Stallion GTX.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

I have the Super Stallion GT and love it. I frequently use the Deps Slide Swimmer 175SS with it.

Another option is the Combat Stick Actaeon. Great rod and extremely powerful considering the lure weight range 1/2-4oz.

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:13 pm

hungry_cow wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:57 pm
What Evergreen rod would you recommend for smaller swimbaits, mostly stuff in the 1.75 - 3 oz range? I was thinking the Super Stallion or maybe the Grand Stallion GTX since its longer. It doesn't have to be Evergreen but that would be my top choice.
I was in the same way as you, and finally I will go with GranCobra RS , especially for hard swimbaits I prefer that parabolic action with treble hooks.

Regards