What is Daiwa doing?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What is Daiwa doing?

Post by Fran87 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 am

Hello Sirs,

It's incredible how much effort is putting Daiwa into Tatula series, The difference between Steez and Tatula nowadays are only weight, materials and ball bearings...But in terms of performance I think both are very close each other so... I think that Daiwa must do something with his Flagship...it should be much more superior to a current Tatulas , if not don't have too much sence to extrapay the huge money difference.

What do you think about this topic?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What is Daiwa doing?

Post by Slazmo » Mon May 11, 2020 1:24 am

Global platforms, global parts and easy to manufacture and keep track.

Gone are the days of the interesting and individual.

Im not a Daiwa guy myself, but I would gladly own any from the mid 2000's prior to Magseal when they lasted and lasted and were simply aesthetic and all round beautiful to own....

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:35 am

Slazmo wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:24 am
Global platforms, global parts and easy to manufacture and keep track.

Gone are the days of the interesting and individual.

Im not a Daiwa guy myself, but I would gladly own any from the mid 2000's prior to Magseal when they lasted and lasted and were simply aesthetic and all round beautiful to own....
Like my OG Zillions that I'm going to have buried with me when I die?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon May 11, 2020 11:47 am

Steez CT SV is a completely different animal than any Tatula. It's no different from other companies, Daiwa just chooses to use a single name. The Curado, Metanium, Bantam, etc , all perform well enough to make the Antares not worth the money. If they called it the Bantam Curado, or Curado MG, it'd be the same thing. I still don't understand the purpose of the Chronarch in their lineup.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon May 11, 2020 3:05 pm

The Chronarch used to be a premier reel, poor name just got cheapened to hell over time.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 11, 2020 5:22 pm

The Steez and a Tatula arent even close. The Tatula is very hollow and unrefined compared to a Steez.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Mon May 11, 2020 5:29 pm

Hence why the SV103H and 103XS are amazing reels. OG Zillion frame with 34mm spool, aluminum side plates, brass gears, etc. Too bad they discontinued them after about two years.

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:13 pm

It's clear that materials and refinement aren't equal between Tatula and Steez but in terms of performance them are very close each other, TWS, SV spool... and we are talking about one of the most cheapest reel from Daiwa compared with its flagship... that's the question.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Tue May 12, 2020 5:09 am

My alphas ct blows my tatulas away big time. I can't imagine steez being on the same level as tatulas. I think it would be interesting if someone experienced gave us down and dirty on differences between the guts of the two.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 12, 2020 5:29 am

Yeah, even a Zillion SV and Steez A are fairly different. My XH Steez A with a Zillion SV spool just flat outs works and feels better. You can tell the difference fairly easily. Now I would also say the SV105 is on a whole different level than the Taiwan factory reels. I have had great luck with my Zillion SV 1016's staying smooth and working well, but the knobs, thumb bar, etc. just aren't quite on par with the Japanese manufactured reels.

I do understand what meant though, nowadays reels are so nice, unless you fish a good bit, it is hard to tell the difference. For example, my father can pick up my old Type R (original big Tatula) and my Steez and not notice much difference, they are all smooth and much higher tolerances than what he is used to.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue May 12, 2020 7:03 am

I agree with the SV105 reels. That old Alphas/Sol platform is timeless and quality too.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Tue May 12, 2020 7:29 am

The Elite pitcheroo is anything but hollow. The SV, yeah, probably. But for a $250 difference in retail to the Steez A? I kinda get what OP is getting at. Not that I don't want a Steez A to drop a PG in.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue May 12, 2020 8:34 am

I don't see much if any performance difference between any of the daiwa reels that I own that are not a result of spool swapping shenanigans. But to me that is the greatest strength of team daiwa, the ability to swap out spools/inductor parts to tune a reel to match whatever rod I want to stick it on. But now that they are seeming to be moving away from the "standard" spool sizes, my interest in buying new reels is fading. I will pick up an Alphas CT at some point but I don't see myself being willing to pay anywhere near MSRP for any of their new higher end reels. The performance difference between a $100 reel and a $500 reel isn't that great but the difference between most $100 rods and $500 rods is a vast gulf, so I would rather spend my money there and keep hunting for deals on the old classic reels or trying new ones used once the early adopters have had their fun.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 am

Houndfish wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:34 am
I don't see much if any performance difference between any of the daiwa reels that I own that are not a result of spool swapping shenanigans. But to me that is the greatest strength of team daiwa, the ability to swap out spools/inductor parts to tune a reel to match whatever rod I want to stick it on. But now that they are seeming to be moving away from the "standard" spool sizes, my interest in buying new reels is fading. I will pick up an Alphas CT at some point but I don't see myself being willing to pay anywhere near MSRP for any of their new higher end reels. The performance difference between a $100 reel and a $500 reel isn't that great but the difference between most $100 rods and $500 rods is a vast gulf, so I would rather spend my money there and keep hunting for deals on the old classic reels or trying new ones used once the early adopters have had their fun.
Pretty much. Spool swaps and mods are where it's at. I for whatever reason, don't like non free floating spools. Rods are definitely easier to detect substantial differences.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed May 13, 2020 6:54 am

It all started here.... Product Insight : Zillion TWS a.k.a. Tatula Z?

It's nothing new. Abu Garcia, 13 Fishing, to some extent Lew's (more in the past than currently), share components of their reels throughout their lineups making incremental upgrades as you move up the line. It's just that Daiwa is doing it with already established lineups and abandoning their history.

Sort of like Shimano's move to suddenly call the Curado G a Chronarch.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"