The Megabass P3 Bearing Down f5-611x is the best

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

The Megabass P3 Bearing Down f5-611x is the best

Post by j2015 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:50 am

The Megabass P3 Bearing Down is the best small jig (3/8oz) pitching rod ever made, prove me wrong!

This rod is extremely light, beautiful and has a very unique and comfortable exposed blank grip. It is not a deep water rod, it’s only 6’11, it’s a grass or dock short range scalpel.

There is not much flex at the tip, this is not a casting rod, it is designed to be pitched. This taper sets it apart! The blank feels like they cut 4 inches off the butt section of a nautilus.

When dragging a jig, this stiff tip serves to transmit more vibrations from the structure and from bites.

There is not anything like it out there, this is my second one. Thinking of a third if I can’t find anything similar.
I’d love to hear your thoughts and/or suggestions.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4DtdJo6V87DB7qCv9

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: The Megabass P3 Bearing Down f5-611x is the best

Post by Jeep » Thu May 21, 2020 9:03 am

j2015 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:50 am
The Megabass P3 Bearing Down is the best small jig (3/8oz) pitching rod ever made, prove me wrong!

This rod is extremely light, beautiful and has a very unique and comfortable exposed blank grip. It is not a deep water rod, it’s only 6’11, it’s a grass or dock short range scalpel.

There is not much flex at the tip, this is not a casting rod, it is designed to be pitched. This taper sets it apart! The blank feels like they cut 4 inches off the butt section of a nautilus.

When dragging a jig, this stiff tip serves to transmit more vibrations from the structure and from bites.

There is not anything like it out there, this is my second one. Thinking of a third if I can’t find anything similar.
I’d love to hear your thoughts and/or suggestions.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4DtdJo6V87DB7qCv9
According to Megabass Japan website the new 5-D X-Bites rod is based off of the bearing down.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:31 am

“According to Megabass Japan website the new 5-D X-Bites rod is based off of the bearing down.”

Interesting! I was looking at that rod, I really like 7’2” jig ods

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu May 21, 2020 8:32 pm

It is kind of a love hate rod. I loved how it was so light, balanced, sensitive, and great for hooksets. But absolutely hated it for casting. With my worm / jig rods I do a mix of pitching and accurate soft roll casts. And the stiffer tip was awful for roll casting and if I am pitching I prefer something a little longer. So I got rid of mine and never have missed it once. But see how you could really love it if it fits you.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:36 pm

hungry_cow wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:32 pm
It is kind of a love hate rod. I loved how it was so light, balanced, sensitive, and great for hooksets. But absolutely hated it for casting. With my worm / jig rods I do a mix of pitching and accurate soft roll casts. And the stiffer tip was awful for roll casting and if I am pitching I prefer something a little longer. So I got rid of mine and never have missed it once. But see how you could really love it if it fits you.
Agreed, it is not a good casting rod. Flips and pitches great though!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm

I was a fan of the P3 BD myself and fished it for a few years before it found a new home. It was certainly a fine close quarters pitching rod.

I spent the day today with the X-Bites among several other new P5 rods. It and the P3 BD are nothing alike in their loading and casting characteristics. The X-Bites has a much softer, easier loading tip for roll casting, skips jigs beautifully (had mine paired with a Steez CT), is impressively sensitive, and feels like a true JDM jig rod. Despite the XF listing, it felt more like a fast action to me. Nonetheless, it was a joy to fish as were several of the others... the new P5's are very nice 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:31 am

Thanks Bronzefly!
I will be getting the x bite and probably the dark sleeper =D>

Just curious, what did you replace the P3 bearing down with for short pitching?

bronzefly wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm
I was a fan of the P3 BD myself and fished it for a few years before it found a new home. It was certainly a fine close quarters pitching rod.

I spent the day today with the X-Bites among several other new P5 rods. It and the P3 BD are nothing alike in their loading and casting characteristics. The X-Bites has a much softer, easier loading tip for roll casting, skips jigs beautifully (had mine paired with a Steez CT), is impressively sensitive, and feels like a true JDM jig rod. Despite the XF listing, it felt more like a fast action to me. Nonetheless, it was a joy to fish as were several of the others... the new P5's are very nice 8-)

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Wed May 27, 2020 1:02 pm

Have you looked at a carbon head bandersnatch?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed May 27, 2020 1:04 pm

j2015 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:31 am
Thanks Bronzefly!

You're welcome! Those are both excellent choices.

I cycle through a lot of tackle but usually keep one or two rods from various Megabass releases. I kept the Nautilus from the P3 line for example. My current go to close quarters pitching rod is the Steez Racing Design 701MH/H Hustler Technical Tune. I'll be giving the Super Destroyer in the P5 series a shot for short pitching as well.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:34 pm

Oh yeah! You got me there, those Steez RD rods are killer!

bronzefly wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:04 pm
j2015 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:31 am
Thanks Bronzefly!

You're welcome! Those are both excellent choices.

I cycle through a lot of tackle but usually keep one or two rods from various Megabass releases. I kept the Nautilus from the P3 line for example. My current go to close quarters pitching rod is the Steez Racing Design 701MH/H Hustler Technical Tune. I'll be giving the Super Destroyer in the P5 series a shot for short pitching as well.