What rods should I look for?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What rods should I look for?

Post by Jnkoepp » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:40 pm

I’ll be in Tokyo in a few weeks. What are some desirable, hard-to-find in America rods I should search for?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What rods should I look for?

Post by Cristo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:48 pm

The XJ-900 :lol:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:20 pm

Jnkoepp wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:40 pm
I’ll be in Tokyo in a few weeks. What are some desirable, hard-to-find in America rods I should search for?
For you or us?
😂
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:10 am

sedition, olympic to name a few

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:24 am

All of them

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:46 am

I’ll send you a list of what to pick up for me!! :big grin:

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:55 pm

So many awesome pro shops in Japan. I'd be more interested in some of the awesome baits you can find personally. Much easier to bring back in your checked luggage. As for rods there are a ton of rods. The best part is you will be able to handle quite a few that people who don't get to travel there will ever get the chance before buying. I'd go there with an open mind and a loaded wallet and see what catches your eye. The price tag will let you know which ones are more desirable, and your budget will help you decide which ones you really want to bring back or not. Just remember you are going to have to find a hardware store also and grab some PVC pipe, tape, and other goodies along with finding a fedex store so you can ship the rods home. I'm not sure how you will be traveling around the country, but unless you have a minivan or buying two piece rods getting them to and from might be difficult, but I can't say. I would search the area where I'm staying before going so I can plan out my options. Otherwise you can have them shipped to a local sniper, and have him ship them home. You can do that from your couch at home and it kind of defeats the purpose other than putting your hands on before buying. Either way good luck. It's much too dangerous for my account to travel there. I spend enough from my couch as it is.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:29 am

domthewon wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:55 pm
So many awesome pro shops in Japan. I'd be more interested in some of the awesome baits you can find personally. Much easier to bring back in your checked luggage. As for rods there are a ton of rods. The best part is you will be able to handle quite a few that people who don't get to travel there will ever get the chance before buying. I'd go there with an open mind and a loaded wallet and see what catches your eye. The price tag will let you know which ones are more desirable, and your budget will help you decide which ones you really want to bring back or not. Just remember you are going to have to find a hardware store also and grab some PVC pipe, tape, and other goodies along with finding a fedex store so you can ship the rods home. I'm not sure how you will be traveling around the country, but unless you have a minivan or buying two piece rods getting them to and from might be difficult, but I can't say. I would search the area where I'm staying before going so I can plan out my options. Otherwise you can have them shipped to a local sniper, and have him ship them home. You can do that from your couch at home and it kind of defeats the purpose other than putting your hands on before buying. Either way good luck. It's much too dangerous for my account to travel there. I spend enough from my couch as it is.
Oh I’m well aware of all the shops, I especially enjoy the second-hand stores. I’ve been quite often and always loaded up on reels and lures but have never really had the JDM rod bug. This may be the last opportunity I get over there before I retire. The great thing is that I fly myself and about 10 people over and back on a Boeing 707 so I don’t have “check bags” and have plenty of room to load that sucker up with bulky items! No insane shipping fees and don’t have to worry about anything breaking

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:02 am

Jnkoepp wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:29 am
domthewon wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:55 pm
Oh I’m well aware of all the shops, I especially enjoy the second-hand stores. I’ve been quite often and always loaded up on reels and lures but have never really had the JDM rod bug. This may be the last opportunity I get over there before I retire. The great thing is that I fly myself and about 10 people over and back on a Boeing 707 so I don’t have “check bags” and have plenty of room to load that sucker up with bulky items! No insane shipping fees and don’t have to worry about anything breaking
Wow! You are set. Forget everything I said except your wallet! That would be a dream trip for me except you might need a bigger plane if you brought me along. There have been a lot of extremely good rods mentioned in the enthusiast section this past year and my collection has been multiplying like some Gremlins. I can’t follow the rule of not getting them wet I guess. Some top of the line options are Daiwa Steez Racing Designs, Daiwa Heartland AGS, Shimano Poison Ultima, Evergreen Keliedo Inspirare both the GT, and RS models are amazing. Higher end Designo rods are desirable, Studio Composite X Individual Development Paradox, Sedition, anything DRT if you are into swimbaits and have no limit. Talula, Megabass Arms, Evoluzion, X7,and Valkyrie, Fragment Factory, 20 Olympic Vigore, Nories. There are many more lesser known brands out there, but I’m keeping them to myself for now, and this should point you in the right direction. I’d still keep an open mind and see what looks and feels right in your hands since you will get that experience. Good luck, and let us know what you come back with.