Flipped my yak

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Flipped my yak

Post by Schlag » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:54 am

I've been river kayak fishing for over 17 years. Out of those years, I've only flipped out of my yak two times. Yesterday, was one of them, and another time I spilled on the New River.

The gear on the float.
Poison Adrena 1610 ML / Steez CT
Poison Ultima 1610 L BFS / Aldebaran BFS w/ K.T.F spool
Dobyns Extreme 702C / Alphas CT w/ K.T.F spool

I was on a 14 mile float, and I was on the last mile. I wasn't fishing that hard, at the end, since I had to maneuver around all the tubers and rental kayakers. I reached a deeper hole where the current picks up in speed, and it has three distinct current seams. That day, I had my seat in the high position, which gets a little tippy on a Jackson Cuda. I lost my balance while having my kayak floating sideways down the flow (front and back of yak pointing twards shore), and over corrected on my balance and flipped out. The Adrena/Steez CT was in my hand and the paddle in the other. Lost two rods, was trying to grab floating tackle and swim the yak to shore. I was kind of in shock, and my heart sunk with the lose of my gear. This is a larger river, and it took a while to get to shore. To make my day, a beautiful kayaking goddess came to my rescue and handed me the Poison Ultima and some tackle! I'm guessing that carbon handle floats. It made my day getting back that rod.

I'm guessing i lost $150 in jerkbaits, one rod/reel, and my phone is drying out in a bag of rice. It sucks loosing tackle, but it could of been worse. It's the risk of fishing in current.

It's just giving me the push to purchase a wider diameter kayak, that's more stable and something I can stand up easier in. I have a few other projects I need to complete first.

Farewell, to my trusty OG Dobyns 702C and new Daiwa Alphas CT with the K.T.F. spool and Hedgehog Air brg. i wish I had some more time with the Alphas CT with the KTF spool. It could really sling out a 1/16 ned head with a TRD Ticklerz.

The fishing was great in the morning. Caught 5 medium sized brown trout in the 15" - 20" range and several smaller trout and smallmouth.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flipped my yak

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:01 am

Man... glad you made it to shore safely and got some of your gear back 😲
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:54 am

Cal wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:01 am
X2!!

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:52 am

Cal wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:01 am

X3

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:47 am

Schlag wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:54 am
I've been river kayak fishing for over 17 years. Out of those years, I've only flipped out of my yak two times. Yesterday, was one of them, and another time I spilled on the New River.

The gear on the float.
Poison Adrena 1610 ML / Steez CT
Poison Ultima 1610 L BFS / Aldebaran BFS w/ K.T.F spool
Dobyns Extreme 702C / Alphas CT w/ K.T.F spool

I was on a 14 mile float, and I was on the last mile. I wasn't fishing that hard, at the end, since I had to maneuver around all the tubers and rental kayakers. I reached a deeper hole where the current picks up in speed, and it has three distinct current seams. That day, I had my seat in the high position, which gets a little tippy on a Jackson Cuda. I lost my balance while having my kayak floating sideways down the flow (front and back of yak pointing twards shore), and over corrected on my balance and flipped out. The Adrena/Steez CT was in my hand and the paddle in the other. Lost two rods, was trying to grab floating tackle and swim the yak to shore. I was kind of in shock, and my heart sunk with the lose of my gear. This is a larger river, and it took a while to get to shore. To make my day, a beautiful kayaking goddess came to my rescue and handed me the Poison Ultima and some tackle! I'm guessing that carbon handle floats. It made my day getting back that rod.

I'm guessing i lost $150 in jerkbaits, one rod/reel, and my phone is drying out in a bag of rice. It sucks loosing tackle, but it could of been worse. It's the risk of fishing in current.

It's just giving me the push to purchase a wider diameter kayak, that's more stable and something I can stand up easier in. I have a few other projects I need to complete first.

Farewell, to my trusty OG Dobyns 702C and new Daiwa Alphas CT with the K.T.F. spool and Hedgehog Air brg. i wish I had some more time with the Alphas CT with the KTF spool. It could really sling out a 1/16 ned head with a TRD Ticklerz.

The fishing was great in the morning. Caught 5 medium sized brown trout in the 15" - 20" range and several smaller trout and smallmouth.

Glad you made it alive. Losing gear sucks but thank God Your still amongst us
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:36 pm

Glad you're OK. I also took a swim once out of a kayak, lost an OG purple Alphas and a custom Rainshadow RX-7 IMB781 rod. I sold the yak after that.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:26 pm

Probably a dumb question, but couldn't you add some sort of rubber C clips to the yak so you could snap your rods into them, and they wouldn't fall out if/when you flip? Maybe with some velcro strapping?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:12 am

Glad you made it through that!! Definitely reminds me when I flipped mine here in AZ on one of my home reservoirs some years back. Very tough loss on some equipment of course but no worse for the wear I suppose :doh: still suckstatic ](*,)

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:05 am

"Caught 5 medium sized brown trout in the 15" - 20" range...."

Sounds like the River Goddess demanded something in return. Next trip, perhaps you should tow a small water filter in appeasement for the combo retrieved for you by the competing kayak goddess.

I wish my experience in trout fishing were such that I could regard a 20" brown as within the "medium sized" range. :mrgreen:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:53 am

Is there any anti-Flip components for yaks or any yaks that simply can not be flipped ?
Just an inquiry
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:19 pm

What about putting a rod float on each rod just in case something happens?

Sorry to hear of your losses. Glad you are safe though

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Post by rollyourboat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:32 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:53 am
Is there any anti-Flip components for yaks or any yaks that simply can not be flipped ?
Just an inquiry
Only thing I can think of are outriggers but not everyone wants to deal with them every time on/off the water

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:06 pm

rollyourboat wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:32 pm
goldrod wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:53 am
Just an inquiry
Only thing I can think of are outriggers but not everyone wants to deal with them every time on/off the water
The user name checks out =D> :lol:

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:39 pm

Did you get a pic of the goddess?

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Sorry for the delay, but I've been without a phone for a couple of days.

I just finished my week of vacation, and today was the first day back working from home. I have to admit it's been one of the best stay at home vacations in a long time. Went biking, did a couple of moped trips along the shoreline of Lake Michigan, fished the river twice, broke in my parents boat (got the first 20 hrs in), fished with my wife at a local lake with the kayaks and fished from shore at my parent's house. The wife caught her first decent sized largemouth of the year on a Roboworm Zipper worm.

My Jackson Cuda and Coosa are pretty stable when you're in the low seating position. When it's not windy out I really enjoy sitting higher up, so it allows me to see the jerkbait being retrieved, but that's when things become less stable. Some of the brown trout will circle a jerkbait, on the pause, like a shark and then strike the lure.

There are bungee rod holders on the side of the yak, but I was never a fan of hanging your rod on the side of the kayak. Floating 14 mile of river, the depth and structure is changing constantly. I like having three rods handy. I just have to have it set in my mind to be more careful when being in the higher seating position. Plus, I'll need to be more proactive of putting lures away, when they're not in use.

Kayak goddess - my Moto Z3 wasn't waterproof and I had it in my shorts pocket, so I could take pictures of the fish I caught. I use to always have it in a ziplock freezer bag. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of her, since my phone got bricked. Today, I got Best Buy to price match a great price on a Pixel 3a XL.

Here's a couple of pics of an earlier trip this year. On this earlier trip, I had two brown trout grab my lure, jump up in the air, and hit me, before I even knew I had a fish on. Kind of scary with jerkbaits with three treble hooks.