Help me choose a Destroyer P5!

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Help me choose a Destroyer P5!

Post by FamKench » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:05 pm

I have a 2016 shimano aldeberan bfs xg that needs a new home. It has 150 yards of 15 lb braid on it.

I've been looking at the new destroyer p5s and can't decide which one to get to pair with the super light reel. I can only get one.

I regularly carry these on a fishing trip:

Megabass destroyer javelin with steez A as my all around rod. (3/8 to 1oz) (7ft5in long)

Daiwa elite ags long cast frog with shimano scorpion DC. (1/2 to 2oz) (7ft9in long)

two spinning combos (legend elites with stradic ci4s) (1/8 to 5/8 oz) (6'11 and 7'0)

Do I go full bait finesse and ultra light weight with the Cliff hanger thrilling (3.1oz) (lure rating: 1/8 to 1/2) (6ft long)

Bait finesse with the hein replacement (3.35 oz) (lure rating 1/4 to 5/8) (6ft10in long)

Super sensitive x-bites rod (3.8 oz) (lure rating 1/4th to 1oz) (7ft2in long)

Or

Super destroyer! (4.4 oz) (lure rating 1/4 to 1.25oz) (6ft9in long)

What do you guys think? Or any other rod recommendations for the aldeberan bfs xg?

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Help me choose a Destroyer P5!

Post by poot04 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:05 pm

DARK SLEEPER! No experience with rod. Sounds like fun.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:47 am

FamKench wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:05 pm

What do you guys think? Or any other rod recommendations for the aldeberan bfs xg?
The Dark Sleeper (I have one) is awesome. A true fast taper gives it a lot of versatility. Sensitivity is excellent for bottom contact baits as well. I don't think that a Aldeberan BFS XG reel would be a good fit for that rod. I'm using a Met 20 on it with 12 lb. flouro.

With that reel specifically though, I would be looking at either the Hein, Kasumi or Criffhanger Thrilling. I have an older Criffhanger and it is a really nice BFS type rod. Even with a "regular" taper, I found it to be fine and sensitive enough for drop shotting, and works great with small cranks, topwaters and ned rigs.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:13 am

poot04 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:05 pm
DARK SLEEPER! No experience with rod. Sounds like fun.
Yes it does.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:17 am

The reel is the limiting factor. No way I'd pair that with a Super Destroyer, X-Bites, or Dark Sleeper. On the heavier side, perhaps the super versatile medium power Cyclone, or maybe the ML Bait Finesse (Hein), or preferably lighter options below F3. Those would match much better with your reel.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:17 am

jmb27 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:47 am
FamKench wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:05 pm

The Dark Sleeper (I have one) is awesome. A true fast taper gives it a lot of versatility. Sensitivity is excellent for bottom contact baits as well. I don't think that a Aldeberan BFS XG reel would be a good fit for that rod. I'm using a Met 20 on it with 12 lb. flouro.

With that reel specifically though, I would be looking at either the Hein, Kasumi or Criffhanger Thrilling. I have an older Criffhanger and it is a really nice BFS type rod. Even with a "regular" taper, I found it to be fine and sensitive enough for drop shotting, and works great with small cranks, topwaters and ned rigs.
Yeah its pretty much a toss up between those 2. I wonder if the Hein replacement an go down to 1/8th reliably.

I had the BFS XG on a daiwa elite ags finesse (1/8 to 1 oz) but since it balanced so well with any reel, my girlfriend claimed it as her light frog/senko rod with an og zillion.

Was thinking about another daiwa elite ags finesse but I prefer not do doubles for collection's sake.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:23 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:17 am
The reel is the limiting factor. No way I'd pair that with a Super Destroyer, X-Bites, or Dark Sleeper. On the heavier side, perhaps the super versatile medium power Cyclone, or maybe the ML Bait Finesse (Hein), or preferably lighter options below F3. Those would match much better with your reel.
I'm really leaning towards the hein replacement. Have you felt the rod? I'm wondering if it can handle the occasional 1/8th bait for when i'm ned rigging with the lighter shroom heads.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:45 am

FamKench wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:23 am
I'm really leaning towards the hein replacement. Have you felt the rod? I'm wondering if it can handle the occasional 1/8th bait for when i'm ned rigging with the lighter shroom heads.
Yes, absolutely. It's more moderate and feels a shade lighter in power than the 16 Destroyer/Carbon Head version.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap