Better than the average travel rod?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Better than the average travel rod?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:36 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:48 pm
Bone Voyage are awesome rods. I currently have 8 of them from the BFS to XXH models and have no complaints. They do fish like one piece rods and don't have flat spots under load. In fact they are all I use and I no longer own any one or two piece rods. Bone Fishing World does have ties with ATC and Zerek but don't let that fool you as they are high quality. I have previously used major craft travel rods but the Bones are definitely better.
You already sold me on the Bone brother... On another forum. Waiting for a US distributor to get them back in stock. Hopefully soon, or I'll need to have one you Aussies order it for me 😉

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:39 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:36 pm
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:48 pm
Bone Voyage are awesome rods. I currently have 8 of them from the BFS to XXH models and have no complaints. They do fish like one piece rods and don't have flat spots under load. In fact they are all I use and I no longer own any one or two piece rods. Bone Fishing World does have ties with ATC and Zerek but don't let that fool you as they are high quality. I have previously used major craft travel rods but the Bones are definitely better.
You already sold me on the Bone brother... On another forum. Waiting for a US distributor to get them back in stock. Hopefully soon, or I'll need to have one you Aussies order it for me 😉
Try catchbay in Singapore. I believe they do international deliveries.

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:15 am

For travel I like 3-4 piece rods, because I can stick them in my checked bag and don't have to worry about keeping track of a rod tub.

I have a few of the Fenwick Method 3 pieces rods and they are really versital, becauce each handle comes with 2 different mid sections and 2 different tips. One rod can be a ML or and M, fast or X-fast. Another can be M or MH, fast or moderate fast. I bought a few so I have extra handles. Makes for a super versital 3-4 rods I can bring on vacations, where I often don't quite know what fishing or water I'll be up against. A lot of places go to one day may be inshore, the next a hotel pond or a creek, and always a variety of techniques and presentation. The method rods are nothing special, but I've gotten less picky on trips and appreciate packing light and having 3-4 rods setup for different presentations.

For a 2 piece, my favorite is an imported Shimano Zodias, though I wouldn't call a 2 piece a travel rod. Not something I usually think about, but it's been durable which is nice as travel rods take more abuse. I have some really nice Mudhole blank customs and while they are unthinkably light and really nice, I don't think I will go that route again. Too easy to splurge on guides, etc, and end up spending big bucks on a rod without a warranty.

I have a 4 piece Kuying thats pretty good and packs small, but I'm sure your JDM stuff is a step up.

One tip I give if traveling, is to bring a little melt glue and an extra tip top. My travel rods see some rougher handling and it's an easy fix to keep fishing.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:15 pm

Handler wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:15 am
For travel I like 3-4 piece rods, because I can stick them in my checked bag and don't have to worry about keeping track of a rod tub.

I have a few of the Fenwick Method 3 pieces rods and they are really versital, becauce each handle comes with 2 different mid sections and 2 different tips. One rod can be a ML or and M, fast or X-fast. Another can be M or MH, fast or moderate fast. I bought a few so I have extra handles. Makes for a super versital 3-4 rods I can bring on vacations, where I often don't quite know what fishing or water I'll be up against. A lot of places go to one day may be inshore, the next a hotel pond or a creek, and always a variety of techniques and presentation. The method rods are nothing special, but I've gotten less picky on trips and appreciate packing light and having 3-4 rods setup for different presentations.

For a 2 piece, my favorite is an imported Shimano Zodias, though I wouldn't call a 2 piece a travel rod. Not something I usually think about, but it's been durable which is nice as travel rods take more abuse. I have some really nice Mudhole blank customs and while they are unthinkably light and really nice, I don't think I will go that route again. Too easy to splurge on guides, etc, and end up spending big bucks on a rod without a warranty.

I have a 4 piece Kuying thats pretty good and packs small, but I'm sure your JDM stuff is a step up.

One tip I give if traveling, is to bring a little melt glue and an extra tip top. My travel rods see some rougher handling and it's an easy fix to keep fishing.
Thanks for the reply. I was considering the Fenwick Links 2 piece rod, but I think I'm pretty set on trying a Bone Voyage.

q1w2e3_89
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by q1w2e3_89 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:19 pm

I live in HK now, so I order in person at local shops or get Japanese friends to ship JDM stuff over.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:03 pm

I just ordered a Daiwa Air Edge Mobile as I was in the same boat and wanted a travel BFS-ish rod. Should pair nicely with my SV Light LTD. I think I might try the 6'3 Poison Adrena 2 piece next for my around town rod.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:40 pm

For what it's worth, I now own both the Bone Voyage 634l and 654m. Phenomenal travel rods. They have that something special with the blanks. Exactly what I was hoping for.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:44 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:40 pm
For what it's worth, I now own both the Bone Voyage 634l and 654m. Phenomenal travel rods. They have that something special with the blanks. Exactly what I was hoping for.
Where did you end up buying them?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:16 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:44 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:40 pm
Where did you end up buying them?
I got them from a dude named Scott down in Tampa. I'm going to list the 634l bfs model for sale on Saturday. If you're interested, shoot me a text 👍.

Terra Ferma
Angler
Angler

Post by Terra Ferma » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:25 pm

I've owned quite a few travel rods. In no particular order:

Daiwa Ardito - cheap and gets the job done but not for finesse applications

Phoenix Redeye - The 7 foot FW blank is pretty darn nice. I sold it but only because I'm doing more 4 and 5pc rods. I have several of their Redeye salt rods and they are fantastic for tuna and other offshore stuff.

Tulala - Very good but very expensive, and difficult to acquire

St Croix Legend Trek - I had two and they were very nice. But not as nice as they should be for the price. I don't know if they are discontinuing them or they have a supply shortage from China, but they are hard to find right now. I found my 6-12 lb spinning didn't have nearly enough power in the tip and mid section. Their cheaper travel rods used to be really good. But they changed something 5 years or so back and they feel less sensitive and less like a 1pc. I'd almost rather the cheaper Ardito, even though it feels like the 2nd and 3rd sections don't bend.

Megabass Orochi - I really like these. Price point is very appropriate; bend is almost indiscernible from a 1 pc. I wish they made them in more lengths and heavy actions. But for all around bass and light inshore they are probably my favorite of the lot.

For heavier stuff (Offshore, Jigging/Popping)

Carpenter Blue Chaser 83 Super Cobra - really sweet stick (like all Carpenters) but when in the hand it didn't give me a reassuring feeling that it would be OK if something serious got on. Biggest thing I caught with it was a 20lb Dorado. Felt fine, but wouldn't want a 100lb tuna on it and I did hear stories of the 1st section breaking. So sold it.

Fisherman - I had a 3pc 80CC (about a PE10 rating but can go lower - casting 75g sticks was no problem). Built like a tank and beautiful wraps but about 100g heavier than say a Carpenter 1 pc. Got my largest GT on it, some large sailfish...never did it feel like anything but rock solid. Of note: when casting for reefies and pelagics all day you need to check the joints every 20 casts or so. Casting big lures all day will loosen them, and you don't want to shove the sections in so tight that you can't separate them at the end of the day and pack them and get to the airport (ask me how I know that...). They make a really cool jigging rod called the Spinoza that comes in 3 sections. Never had one but people I know who own them love it.

Zenaq - Fabulous sticks. As good as it gets from PE2-3 to PE ). Their jigging rods are great too.

Ripper Fisher - They have a fantastic popping and fantastic stick bait rod. Development was troubled - they released one model and then recalled it due to breakages. They have also had issues with the section coming apart. My buddy send me their new PE3 travel rod a year ago. It was top notch...but when I went to put it together I noticed that one of the spigots as in the section that it wasn't supposed to be. Couldn't get it out with any technic so it got mailed back to Ripple Fisher. If they could get these problem free they would be best in class.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. Generally speaking you get what you pay for in travel rods. I feel like the Megabass rods punches above it's weight price wise. They put a lot of thought into these. I've always wanted to try the Loomis Escape GLX. But they only make two models nowadays, they are $700 bucks, and as far as I know the design hasn't been changed in 20 years. Will pick one up one day. The other rod that intrigues me is the Shimano Shaula World Tour. At 800 bucks I'd prefer to hold it before purchasing....

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:42 pm

Terra Ferma wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:25 pm
I've owned quite a few travel rods. In no particular order:

Daiwa Ardito - cheap and gets the job done but not for finesse applications

Phoenix Redeye - The 7 foot FW blank is pretty darn nice. I sold it but only because I'm doing more 4 and 5pc rods. I have several of their Redeye salt rods and they are fantastic for tuna and other offshore stuff.

Tulala - Very good but very expensive, and difficult to acquire

St Croix Legend Trek - I had two and they were very nice. But not as nice as they should be for the price. I don't know if they are discontinuing them or they have a supply shortage from China, but they are hard to find right now. I found my 6-12 lb spinning didn't have nearly enough power in the tip and mid section. Their cheaper travel rods used to be really good. But they changed something 5 years or so back and they feel less sensitive and less like a 1pc. I'd almost rather the cheaper Ardito, even though it feels like the 2nd and 3rd sections don't bend.

Megabass Orochi - I really like these. Price point is very appropriate; bend is almost indiscernible from a 1 pc. I wish they made them in more lengths and heavy actions. But for all around bass and light inshore they are probably my favorite of the lot.

For heavier stuff (Offshore, Jigging/Popping)

Carpenter Blue Chaser 83 Super Cobra - really sweet stick (like all Carpenters) but when in the hand it didn't give me a reassuring feeling that it would be OK if something serious got on. Biggest thing I caught with it was a 20lb Dorado. Felt fine, but wouldn't want a 100lb tuna on it and I did hear stories of the 1st section breaking. So sold it.

Fisherman - I had a 3pc 80CC (about a PE10 rating but can go lower - casting 75g sticks was no problem). Built like a tank and beautiful wraps but about 100g heavier than say a Carpenter 1 pc. Got my largest GT on it, some large sailfish...never did it feel like anything but rock solid. Of note: when casting for reefies and pelagics all day you need to check the joints every 20 casts or so. Casting big lures all day will loosen them, and you don't want to shove the sections in so tight that you can't separate them at the end of the day and pack them and get to the airport (ask me how I know that...). They make a really cool jigging rod called the Spinoza that comes in 3 sections. Never had one but people I know who own them love it.

Zenaq - Fabulous sticks. As good as it gets from PE2-3 to PE ). Their jigging rods are great too.

Ripper Fisher - They have a fantastic popping and fantastic stick bait rod. Development was troubled - they released one model and then recalled it due to breakages. They have also had issues with the section coming apart. My buddy send me their new PE3 travel rod a year ago. It was top notch...but when I went to put it together I noticed that one of the spigots as in the section that it wasn't supposed to be. Couldn't get it out with any technic so it got mailed back to Ripple Fisher. If they could get these problem free they would be best in class.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. Generally speaking you get what you pay for in travel rods. I feel like the Megabass rods punches above it's weight price wise. They put a lot of thought into these. I've always wanted to try the Loomis Escape GLX. But they only make two models nowadays, they are $700 bucks, and as far as I know the design hasn't been changed in 20 years. Will pick one up one day. The other rod that intrigues me is the Shimano Shaula World Tour. At 800 bucks I'd prefer to hold it before purchasing....
Nice post. It looks like Megabass is going to offer additional tip sections for the Triza. I wish more companies would do this. Having multiple tip sections on hand is a perfect solution imo.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:42 pm

did you see what tips?

I have a few TRIZA and wouldn't mind a few different tips!

I guess I need to reach out to Ben @ the HookUp

thx.sid