Alphas CT SV

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Alphas CT SV

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:21 am

Sufix Matrix Pro, Sufix 832, SpiderWire Stealth Smooth 8, Daiwa Morethan, Berkley Whiplash. Those I have used for baitcasters. Not anymore 832 because it worns out, and I got some line breaks. SpiderWire Stealh Smooth 8 is my favorite because of price vs. quality. It is thicker than those say it to be, but issue is smaller if using line strength (not line thickness). Strength of it is much more relative to other braids vs. thickness.

migman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by migman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:07 am

Just an update...I received my Alphas CT SV last week and took it out this morning with my son. I have it mounted on a St. Croix Triumph 6’6” M/F rod and spooled with 20lb 832. All I can say is what a sweet little reel. Very smooth and well behaved. Only caught one smallmouth but it was a ton of fun. It easily out casts my Luna 253 which was throwing heavier lures. It will probably be my go-to combo for any of my small to mid-size baits. I am so glad I picked one up. If anyone is on the fence about getting one fear not, it is a great reel. Take care all!

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:04 pm

Does it have a clicking cast control?

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:35 am

MediumHeavy wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:04 pm
No, it doesn't.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:51 am

MediumHeavy wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:04 pm
No none of the alphas line have a clicking cast control adjustment.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:59 am

Alphas ct sv is extremely good reel for light use. I have used mine for finesse, with custom spools. It's very good in that. But now I tried it first time as my lightest seatrout setup. Alphas ct sv standard spool loaded with 0.14 mm / 27 lbs Morethan 12 line and attached to St.Croix Avid AVC96MLF2 casted 15 g inline spinners and minnows like a dream. Casting was really easy and it wasn't needed to be carefully on cast direction vs. wind. I actually was amazed of casting distances: I'm not sure could it be possible for me to cast those light lures longer with my heavier setups / more capable of distance in mind (Longest casting setups was Z2020 with RCS 2014 shallow spool and sv tw Zillion with Steez 103 spool with HLC spring) ...Alphas ct sv is truly nice little reel.

That was slight disappointment that I messed my setups and I was using 15 g spinner in my sv tw Zillion setup in time when I got fish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6plPQravbc

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:58 pm

Alphas CT SV in light use is something between just perfect...Amazing good:
https://youtu.be/ZHVpq00gu8U

Only if last meters of casting is needed, then somethig else is needed to be considered.

--------------------------------------------------

Fished another days with Alphas CT SV. Actually casting distance is not bad either. I'm not sure is Morethan line performing extraordinary good in non-tws reel, but anymore I'm not sure could I cast longer with any other my reel in 1/2 oz range... (But I haven't really tried that with this rod with another reels either.)

And still zero bad backlashes in a changing (wind) situations in fishing, despite of some tries of maximum cast...

Alphas CT SV is great in everything!

---------------------------------------------------

What line to ct Alphas?

I made video of this topic: https://youtu.be/x7eH9YhOS14

In fact I don't actually need much help to make a choose, because current Morethan is the chosen one, and if I'm going to loose lures, I will change to thicker Morethan.

But I know that if 70 size reel is new for angler, there might be puzzle of which line to choose. My buddy bought reel recently and now hi tries to figure out which line to use. That actually was actually reason to make this video :)