Daiwa Saltist HRF, Alphas, Smak or SW Millionaire?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Saltist HRF, Alphas, Smak or SW Millionaire?

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun May 07, 2006 11:32 pm

tibor01 wrote:I have both the Alphas and the Millionaire SW 203, both reels are brilliant. For light saltwater work I absolutely love the SW 203, it casts like a dream and the external brake control is fantastic. I have got 30lb Yamatoyo braid on mine and I managed to get on approx. 200 meters. I love my Alphas too but I just find when I'm doing light saltwater work the SW 203 is a perfect fit (the colours are great too!!).

Aaron

what species do you fish for with those reels in victoria.or do you save them for trips to the north.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon May 08, 2006 4:17 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
just4kix wrote:The HRF is the Japan Super Tuned Version of the US Advantage HST. It has CRBBs, Corrosion Resistant Pinion, Drive Shaft, etc. It's Worm Shaft Assembly is attached to a bronze type gear (or other metal) instead of plastic like the Alphas and it has a Micro-Click Drag! :D Line Capacity is 14/165yds and it weighs 8.6oz. It also has the New MagForce Z. The only downside is that the Max. Drag Rating is @ 5lbs. like the Alphas 103. I personally don't mind the extra weight of a Saltwater Reel but that Drag should be stronger. I'd go with the Alphas 103 if you don't mind the lack of a Clicking Drag. Hope the info. helps.
are you sure the drag is only rated at 5lb and not 5kg. that seems fairly low when it has the same drag system as the coastal.
Just found some advertising info in an australian fishing magazine that states the Saltist Hrf as having 4kg of drag which translates to about 8.8lbs. weighs 245 grams has 8crbb + 1rb ,6.3 : 1 gear ratio with capacities of 12lb/180yds , 14lb/150yds , 20lb/100yds. micro click drag adjustment. titanium line guide, seven element wet drag, magforce z brake system. and an awsome colour scheme. looks to have a similar handle to the TDA super tuned.
now i`ve made my mind up I got to have one,or maybe two, ahh stuff I`ll get three!!!! 8-)

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Mon May 08, 2006 5:27 am

The only concerning thing for me regarding the drag is that the Alphas is also listed as 4kg. :? It would be great if TT could get hold of the HRF and actually test the max. drag in their lab. tests. I would hope the HRF would measure the 8.8lb. and not a max. of 5lbs. like the Alphas. :)

tibor01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tibor01 » Mon May 08, 2006 1:36 pm

Barra,
We don't have it that bad here in Vic. Both reels work well on our inland impoundments, I'ved used the SW203 casting lures for Murray Cod and Yellowbelly whilst in the salt, the snapper fishing down here starting in Oct is sensational now. So I do have plenty of opportunities to use them down here. QLD definitely has more exotic species and more options but you have to make do with what you've got.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon May 08, 2006 11:09 pm

tibor01 wrote:Barra,
We don't have it that bad here in Vic. Both reels work well on our inland impoundments, I'ved used the SW203 casting lures for Murray Cod and Yellowbelly whilst in the salt, the snapper fishing down here starting in Oct is sensational now. So I do have plenty of opportunities to use them down here. QLD definitely has more exotic species and more options but you have to make do with what you've got.
The question was serious I wasn`t taking the piss out of you for being Victorian. just I know most snapper & bream fisherman prefer to use spin gear inshore. And I forget about cod and yellow belly thinking the most common freshwater species would be the trouts. Another question for you . Do you get estuary perch anywhere near Melbourne?

manasota
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by manasota » Sun May 21, 2006 11:10 am

Hey just4kix, how would you compare the HRF to a new Chronarch?

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Sun May 21, 2006 12:09 pm

Never used the chronarch, sorry. :)