Daiwa Saltist HRF, Alphas, Smak or SW Millionaire?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Local Rookie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Saltist HRF, Alphas, Smak or SW Millionaire?

Post by Local Rookie » Sat May 06, 2006 3:15 pm

Please help me decide... which one would you get for saltwater 10-16lb line? Your opinion is greatly appreciated. :).

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Saltist HRF, Alphas, Smak or SW Millionaire?

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat May 06, 2006 6:39 pm

how much line capacity are you after, is weight an issue, and do you prefer round or low profile reels? I`m looking to get a couple new reels myself and tossing up between the saltist hrf or a td luna 203/253 but don`t know of anyone who has used the saltist hrf yet.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat May 06, 2006 7:04 pm

I can only speak to the Alphas (Sol) and the SMAK. I feel that the Alphas is too much a finesse reel and that, for saltwater, the SMAK would be a better choice for that line weight range and I've only seen the SMAK listed in the saltwater reels sections.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

SpecksReds
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SpecksReds » Sat May 06, 2006 8:01 pm

I fish with the Alpha with 20lb braid and I've caught Reds up to 10 1/2 lb's on it. If I had the money to spend to have all Alpha's to fish Specks and Reds with I would in a heartbeat. I have 2 TD Advantages HST's and they to are great for inshore saltwater.

hymsterstyle
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by hymsterstyle » Sat May 06, 2006 10:29 pm

I have the Saltist HRF and I love this reel. I would recommend it highly. Also I think they are selling them on ebay for like $160.00 or something like that.

Local Rookie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Local Rookie » Sat May 06, 2006 11:51 pm

For 15lb and 20lb line i've been using an Avet SX, and for 30Lb Line i've an MXL. I am looking for something in the lines between 10-16lb with about 12lb about 100 meters.

I am wondering if the HRF is like the Daiwa Coastal. Does anyone know? Hymsterstyle, what do you use the Saltist HRF for?

Thanks guys!

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun May 07, 2006 2:05 am

the coastal uses a centriflex cast control and the saltist hrf uses magnetic. from the specs i`ve seen the hrf holds about 180yds of 12lb line and the coastal holds 140 yds of 12lb line. I have a coastal and an alphas and both are great reels I`m looking at the HRF`s for the greater line capacity.
For the line capacity your after the alphas would be perfect provided it`s within your budget.

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Sun May 07, 2006 6:07 am

The HRF is the Japan Super Tuned Version of the US Advantage HST. It has CRBBs, Corrosion Resistant Pinion, Drive Shaft, etc. It's Worm Shaft Assembly is attached to a bronze type gear (or other metal) instead of plastic like the Alphas and it has a Micro-Click Drag! :D Line Capacity is 14/165yds and it weighs 8.6oz. It also has the New MagForce Z. The only downside is that the Max. Drag Rating is @ 5lbs. like the Alphas 103. I personally don't mind the extra weight of a Saltwater Reel but that Drag should be stronger. I'd go with the Alphas 103 if you don't mind the lack of a Clicking Drag. Hope the info. helps.

Local Rookie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Local Rookie » Sun May 07, 2006 7:54 am

Thanks for the reply guys... I am buying another alphas and an HRF :) Made it an easy decision. I wish the alphas had a micro click... is there an upgrade for it?

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Sun May 07, 2006 7:56 am

No, there's not :(

Local Rookie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Local Rookie » Sun May 07, 2006 8:20 am

I guess the new version will have... probably weight a lot more though...

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Sun May 07, 2006 11:05 am

New Version? :-k

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Sun May 07, 2006 8:27 pm

The HRF seems to be good and for a good price.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun May 07, 2006 10:48 pm

just4kix wrote:The HRF is the Japan Super Tuned Version of the US Advantage HST. It has CRBBs, Corrosion Resistant Pinion, Drive Shaft, etc. It's Worm Shaft Assembly is attached to a bronze type gear (or other metal) instead of plastic like the Alphas and it has a Micro-Click Drag! :D Line Capacity is 14/165yds and it weighs 8.6oz. It also has the New MagForce Z. The only downside is that the Max. Drag Rating is @ 5lbs. like the Alphas 103. I personally don't mind the extra weight of a Saltwater Reel but that Drag should be stronger. I'd go with the Alphas 103 if you don't mind the lack of a Clicking Drag. Hope the info. helps.
are you sure the drag is only rated at 5lb and not 5kg. that seems fairly low when it has the same drag system as the coastal.

tibor01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tibor01 » Sun May 07, 2006 11:22 pm

I have both the Alphas and the Millionaire SW 203, both reels are brilliant. For light saltwater work I absolutely love the SW 203, it casts like a dream and the external brake control is fantastic. I have got 30lb Yamatoyo braid on mine and I managed to get on approx. 200 meters. I love my Alphas too but I just find when I'm doing light saltwater work the SW 203 is a perfect fit (the colours are great too!!).

Aaron