Thinking of having a unicorn built-Poisonous AGS NRX 916 UBR?!?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
One10addict_19D
Angler
Angler

Thinking of having a unicorn built-Poisonous AGS NRX 916 UBR?!?

Post by One10addict_19D » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:41 pm

After my beloved Tour Versatile broke on me I had to get another rod. Pissed about it breaking while pulling a 1.5lb bass to shore I decided to get something new. I started looking into megabass and the NRX line. Like a dope I decided on a 893c. I say like a dope because as all of you with one know, you’re gonna get more. The whole point of the Poison Adrena was to have one rod that could do it all. The 893 was incredible as advertised but now I had to have more. After reading many posts from you all and LuckyCraftMan specifically! I now have two 916UBRs one green and one blue, an 843 MBR, the 893c and 853c both blue, and a green 852s :shock: :shock: :-$ :big grin: Big thanks for pointing me in the 916UBRs direction LuckyCraftMan. You’re posts sold me on them. Love them!!! Both have older reel seats with the Loomis logo in the rear part. The green rod’s seat cracked on me yesterday and it looks like the blue one is starting too!!! ](*,) Also both are eBay purchases so no warranty ](*,) ](*,) But instead of cry I had a devilishly wonderful idea...What if the carbon monocoque handle from the Adrena was on the 916 :-k The handle from the Adrena is 3/4” short but I think you could come up with a slick way to make up for it in the butt that could balance the rod properly as well. Then I thought about how the guides would have to come off for this to happen and that gives me a chance to update the guides. At this point the only thing that makes sense are the AGS guides from Daiwa. I don’t have a Daiwa rod with them on it but I am more than willing to buy one to cannibalize it for the guides. I have never had a custom rod built so I’m looking for suggestions for top end rod builders in the US and overall thoughts and opinions. Thanks all and cheers!!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Thinking of having a unicorn built-Poisonous AGS NRX 916 UBR?!?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:37 pm

Redlinerobert had a Loomis frog rod stripped and Frankensteined with some other rod a few years back, so go for it. I'd like to see the outcome. I think it was in excess of $1000, so let's see what you got.
(Mattman here on TT will be the one to tap for this project. He loves a challenge!).
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:46 pm

I'm not sure how you would add the monocoque handle. It's actually part of the blank, rather than a grip material epoxied onto the blank. You would essentially need to cut the Adrena above the reel seat, and and mod it into a two piece with the NRX blank. If possible, it's gonna cost ya.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:34 am

Old or current adrena? Didn’t catch that.

For the old model: I strongly believe Shimano glued the handle Part on their blanks. But it would be great if otherwise. Is there some information out there of someone who stripped the grip and reel seat off of one?

For the current: caution - Shimano uses a 26mm diameter for the grip end of their reel seats, with most manufacturers its 27mm. So if you want to keep your reel seat, you’d need to smoothen this transition somehow.
Here I’m also super curious on what lies beneath the carbon surface :D

One10addict_19D
Angler
Angler

Post by One10addict_19D » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:10 am

Current version on the Adrena. The handle is one piece that slides onto the blank I believe. Thanks for all the replies. The difference in Shimanos 26mm compared to other manufacturers is something I overlooked. Not sure if taking 1 mm out is possible. After further inspection of the PA handle I fear the diameter of the 916 blank is just too big to fit in the handle of the PA without cutting it in half and essentially making it a split grip...lots of challenges I’m thinking to make this happen. I’m going to strip the guides off the PA when I get a chance and take the heat gun to it to remove the reel seat and get a better look and what is going on with the handle and how it is attached ect.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:10 am

I wonder if one could make an NRX and some other not hideous rod into a 2pc where the rod inserts into the handle. Blank of an NRX with custom paint and guides inserted into the handle of a good looking stick.

One10addict_19D
Angler
Angler

Post by One10addict_19D » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:26 am

Update

I took the heat gun to the PA and removed the reel seat without damaging it! I can confirm that the blank runs through the monocoque handle and stops somewhere at the taper of the butt of the handle. Haven’t removed the blank from the handle yet but I don’t think it will be difficult to do without damaging it. Just gonna have to exercise patience as with the reel seat. Here’s a photo of the aftermath. Hope you enjoy! :shock: :big grin:
C32C55C7-618E-438E-96FA-B831AC788427.jpeg
Deconstruction
C32C55C7-618E-438E-96FA-B831AC788427.jpeg (48.44 KiB) Viewed 4947 times

One10addict_19D
Angler
Angler

Post by One10addict_19D » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:01 am

Also I just cut the blank near the handle as you can see as opposed to stripping the guides to save time. I will get to that but it’s not necessary for this build. The blank broke pretty much where the backbone starts so it’s useless.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:26 pm

Before you hack those Loomis rods to death and maybe you're unaware, you can send them in via the Xpeditor service. Pay $100 or so, and get a completely new rod. Also, why weren't you able to warranty the Adrena?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:11 pm

One10addict_19D wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:26 am
Update

I took the heat gun to the PA and removed the reel seat without damaging it! I can confirm that the blank runs through the monocoque handle and stops somewhere at the taper of the butt of the handle. Haven’t removed the blank from the handle yet but I don’t think it will be difficult to do without damaging it. Just gonna have to exercise patience as with the reel seat. Here’s a photo of the aftermath. Hope you enjoy! :shock: :big grin: C32C55C7-618E-438E-96FA-B831AC788427.jpeg

Wow 😳 man
Thanks for this one
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

One10addict_19D
Angler
Angler

Post by One10addict_19D » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:38 pm

I was under the impression that because the Loomis rods weren’t bought new that the warranty didn’t apply but seems as if I should look into it more. I could have with the Adrena but I had this idea and I knew that one way or another some NRX blank was going in that handle and it needs AGS guides. I just thought I would shelve the idea for another day then I broke the reel seat on the 916 and here we are lol. As far as the work I’m willing to do I’m about done. I intend to have an experienced professional strip whichever blank goes into it and everything else for that matter. I think I can remove the rod from the handle but because of the wall thickness of the handle I may leave it to the pros as well. I was comfortable cutting up the PA to see if it could be done and IMO it was worth the risk because I think I proved it can. Not sure if the 916 blank will work due to the diameter but there are so others from the NRX line that could be used as well. That handle and the Diawa guides on the 893c or 852c could be something worth trying...got a lot of thinking ahead.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:03 pm

One10addict_19D wrote:
Update

I took the heat gun to the PA and removed the reel seat without damaging it! I can confirm that the blank runs through the monocoque handle and stops somewhere at the taper of the butt of the handle. Haven’t removed the blank from the handle yet but I don’t think it will be difficult to do without damaging it. Just gonna have to exercise patience as with the reel seat. Here’s a photo of the aftermath. Hope you enjoy! :shock: :big grin: C32C55C7-618E-438E-96FA-B831AC788427.jpeg
😬😳😲

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:46 pm

I've built several rods with Daiwa AGS guides. They are ok, but Fuji Torzite is better. Also much more easier to wrap, cause AGS foot is BIG.
IMO, I wouldn't build NRX blank with heavy monocoque grip. CFX carbon grips are 2-3x lighter and then more sensitive.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:20 am

One10addict_19D wrote:
Update

Wow! How hot was the heat gun, how long did it take?
Also: is the reel seat true blank exposed or do they use an insert? Can you provide some pics of the inside of the reel seat - I’ve found some look alikes on alibaba I’d like to compare to the real deal

I love taking rods apart and see how they do things. Didn’t come across any broken poison rods so far

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:55 am

Have you seen these?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001079 ... 5392%23155

Would be easier to use. :-k I've built couple. Quality of grip is very nice.