Alphas/pixy spool options

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted

Which spool 1/4 3/8

I'ze finesse Special
33%
Alphas CT Sv 700s
67%

Total votes: 6

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Alphas/pixy spool options

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:42 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:17 pm
I use my i'ze finesse special down to 1.8g with 8lb jbraid. It can handle way under 3/8oz easily. Wish they made these spools in a ported version. They'd be killer.
Thanks for your experience with the spool. I guess I'm looking more for how much weight it can handle on the upper end. I've thrown some very light lures with it and I did like it. Didn't think it was wild unless I tried to force extra distance out of it.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:40 am

For what you're doing, I would use the Airy Red spool. It handles form to 1/8 easily as long as you have the right rod, and it handles well above 3/8 with ease. I absolutely love my I'ze spool, but I have 4# Yo-Zuri Hybrid on it and use it on the UL end of the spectrum. I found that I didn't like it with anything much over 1/4oz.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:07 am

adam lancia wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:40 am
For what you're doing, I would use the Airy Red spool. It handles form to 1/8 easily as long as you have the right rod, and it handles well above 3/8 with ease. I absolutely love my I'ze spool, but I have 4# Yo-Zuri Hybrid on it and use it on the UL end of the spectrum. I found that I didn't like it with anything much over 1/4oz.
Dang, well maybe I'll have to keep it on the light rod instead of selling it and buy a other reel

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:19 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:42 pm
SSS wrote:
I use my i'ze finesse special down to 1.8g with 8lb jbraid. It can handle way under 3/8oz easily. Wish they made these spools in a ported version. They'd be killer.
Thanks for your experience with the spool. I guess I'm looking more for how much weight it can handle on the upper end. I've thrown some very light lures with it and I did like it. Didn't think it was wild unless I tried to force extra distance out of it.
I use it for up to 1/2oz for like 4 years at this point. You shouldn't have any issues. If you're mostly sticking to 1/4oz+ and can get the airy red spool for cheaper, get that instead. Finesse special is more expensive and not exactly needed for that weight range.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:44 am

SSS wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:19 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:42 pm
SSS wrote:
I use it for up to 1/2oz for like 4 years at this point. You shouldn't have any issues. If you're mostly sticking to 1/4oz+ and can get the airy red spool for cheaper, get that instead. Finesse special is more expensive and not exactly needed for that weight range.
Well then I'll have to give it a try first since I already have the I'ze finesse spool. Thank you

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:55 am

Changed my mind and have decided to either keep the I'ze finesse or change the pinion and mag holder to use the ct sv 700s spool (with new spacers). Which one do you think could handle the 1/8 - 3/8 range the best (or even just under 1/8, but not over 3/8 total weight)?

Thanks and sorry for changing the question. Just didn't want to start a new thread.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:21 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:55 am
Changed my mind and have decided to either keep the I'ze finesse or change the pinion and mag holder to use the ct sv 700s spool (with new spacers). Which one do you think could handle the 1/8 - 3/8 range the best (or even just under 1/8, but not over 3/8 total weight)?

Thanks and sorry for changing the question. Just didn't want to start a new thread.
I have the 700S in my Alphas CT and it'll cast 1/16 rather easy but that seems to be about its lower limit. This is with factory bearings flushed and oiled with TSI 321. I could probably go lower with some Air BFS bearings. This is primarily used for trout and panfish so I can't comment much on performance past the 3/16 range. I run about 50yd of 8lb J-braid.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:14 am

tincanary wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:21 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

I have the 700S in my Alphas CT and it'll cast 1/16 rather easy but that seems to be about its lower limit. This is with factory bearings flushed and oiled with TSI 321. I could probably go lower with some Air BFS bearings. This is primarily used for trout and panfish so I can't comment much on performance past the 3/16 range. I run about 50yd of 8lb J-braid.
Thank you.

I found a good deal on an alphas CT Sv ($160) so I picked up another one. Third one but I sold my other two before I got the fish them. I'll compare it to my alphas with I'ze finesse Special spool and decide whether or not I want to change the og alphas after they.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:18 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:14 am
tincanary wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

Thank you.

I found a good deal on an alphas CT Sv ($160) so I picked up another one. Third one but I sold my other two before I got the fish them. I'll compare it to my alphas with I'ze finesse Special spool and decide whether or not I want to change the og alphas after they.
They're probably my favorite reels at the moment. I have both a 6.3 and 7.2, got them for prices I couldn't refuse. Good luck in your spool search and good fishing. If you look hard enough, you can find the 700S for ~$100.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:05 pm

tincanary wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:18 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
tincanary wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

Thank you.

They're probably my favorite reels at the moment. I have both a 6.3 and 7.2, got them for prices I couldn't refuse. Good luck in your spool search and good fishing. If you look hard enough, you can find the 700S for ~$100.
I've got one more question for you. Is there a noticeable improvement between the standard ct spool and the 700s? If you just don't fill the standard with line would it be similar? (I guess IPT could change though).

Thanks again for all your help.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:56 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:05 pm
tincanary wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
tincanary wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

Thank you.

I've got one more question for you. Is there a noticeable improvement between the standard ct spool and the 700s? If you just don't fill the standard with line would it be similar? (I guess IPT could change though).

Thanks again for all your help.
With a factory spool about half full of 20lb Power Pro I'm good down to slightly under 3g. My most productive bait this year was the 1.5" Charlie Brewer slider grub on a 1/16 head, measured out to 2.9g on my scale. I was able to cast those pretty easy and put a lot of perch, gills, and crappie in the freezer. I also hooked up with some nice smallmouth in the process, but they were released. I'd say if you're wanting to run thinner line, the shallow spool would be your guy. If you want to use something a little more beefy, the factory spool is plenty good for the weights you're wanting to throw.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:03 am

tincanary wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
tincanary wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

Thank you.

Is Daiwa discontinuing the alphas ct sv? Nobody has them in stock.
Thanks

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:58 pm

Well, just got off the water with my Alphas CT. Got skunked but had a great time just being out in the unusually warm weather. With my SV700S spool I was throwing 1.6g Eurotackle Z-Viber lipless cranks around the docks at a local marina. Swinging for the fences I was able to get the Z-Viber a good 30ft out or so, plenty good for short range fishing. Nothing was biting today but still a good time. I was hoping to bring a few perch home for dinner.