Crawler baits

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Crawler baits

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:09 am

Just bought one of the Raid Dodge crawlers. Now I'm looking at the Imakatsu Aventa Crawler and Deps NZ Crawler Jr.

This will be my first season trying them, what crawlers have you guys had success with?

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Crawler baits

Post by Cracker » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:30 am

Jackall Pompadour (and Pompadour Jr.) is the best crawler out there.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:23 am

I love the sound the 5/8 oz. Heddon Crazy Crawler makes. Haven't fished it a lot, but it caught a 5 lb. largemouth and a 5 lb. pike just minutes apart and on another occasion fooled a 5+ lb. largemouth that shook off.

I would advise against buying the Namuzu Crawler, a Japanese lure that has an elongated body shaped like a small channel catfish. I found it quite hard to get "crawling" from rest.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:42 am

The Monka FPJ is a fun crawler with some super creative patterns
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:58 am

Do most prefer non jointed or jointed crawlers styles?

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:02 pm

I mostly fish these at night but the Deka Dodge has been my most successful and is my favorite. Used a few different ones like the Deps, Attic pitch n' crawler, Imakatsu GT, TH Tackle and the Deka Dodge is definitely my favorite. Bought a Signal Lizard crawler and the Imakatsu Aventa wood crawler to try this year. Some can be a pain to "tune" ( GT CRAWLER!!!) but all the Dekas have been perfect and obviously if I had to recommend one it would be the Deka Dodge, not sure about the smaller dodge but I'd assume its pretty much the same.
Monka is next on my list, read it can be pain to tune but they have a video on their instagram on how to properly tune.
Instagram @___bradb

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:27 pm

biggs wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:02 pm
I mostly fish these at night but the Deka Dodge has been my most successful and is my favorite. Used a few different ones like the Deps, Attic pitch n' crawler, Imakatsu GT, TH Tackle and the Deka Dodge is definitely my favorite. Bought a Signal Lizard crawler and the Imakatsu Aventa wood crawler to try this year. Some can be a pain to "tune" ( GT CRAWLER!!!) but all the Dekas have been perfect and obviously if I had to recommend one it would be the Deka Dodge, not sure about the smaller dodge but I'd assume its pretty much the same.
Monka is next on my list, read it can be pain to tune but they have a video on their instagram on how to properly tune.
I also have 2 of the Fish Arrow x Raid Japan Monster Jack Crawlers and I was very impressed with it. Makes me want to get the Gan Craft Joi Crawler.
Instagram @___bradb

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:27 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:42 am
The Monka FPJ is a fun crawler with some super creative patterns
agreed!

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:41 am

jerkbait22 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:09 am
Just bought one of the Raid Dodge crawlers. Now I'm looking at the Imakatsu Aventa Crawler and Deps NZ Crawler Jr.

This will be my first season trying them, what crawlers have you guys had success with?
I won’t say which ones I use. But Your digging in the right sandbox. Keep digging :big grin:

I catch just as many fish during the day as I do at night on the crawlers. If you ever have issues getting the tuning down. Take the wings off completely and put them back on. Count and make sure the exact number of screw threads are exposed on both wings. That will solve your issue most of the time. They are notorious for getting out of tune after catching a fish. Some crawlers are designed for dead slow retrieves and others are better as faster retrieves. It’s good to have both.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun May 02, 2021 8:08 pm

Some retailers now have the new Imakatsu Aventa RSR Crawlers which was designed to cast better and perform at both slow and high speed. I got 2, and I still haven't been able to fish my raid bait yet :lol:

We're getting into topwater mode soon by me so hope to gain some on the water experience in the near future. I came close to buying a Deps NZ Crawler Jr as well but $80 is a bit steep until I get some fish on them. I got a Deps Silent Kiler wakebait instead for slightly less.