What would happen to Megabass without Yuki Ito?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What would happen to Megabass without Yuki Ito?

Post by SSS » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:41 pm

He has designed so much stuff. If he decides to leave the company, what do you think happens to MB?

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What would happen to Megabass without Yuki Ito?

Post by rando » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:52 pm

Get purchased by shimano and still sell a lot of product?

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:39 pm

You gotta figure they wouldn't go anywhere due to their name and history alone. There has to be someone in their ranks with both designing and business savvy who is hungry.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:22 pm

Probably what's already happening

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:13 am

I think they are selling some baits from other MB designers. It could be the Spark Shad. I’ll check.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:13 pm

I’m sure Megabass has a backup plan.
They said the same thing about Apple when Jobs passed away.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:49 pm

G Loomis has been doing fine since Gary sold the company. Lots of institutionalized knowledge. I'd expect Megabass to be fine for quite a while, as well.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:07 pm

Almost inconceivable that a company such as Megabass do not have a succession plan. Read recently of a Japanese company having a 400 year plan in place for future directions.

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:30 am

It’s already a fragile company. They are throwing out a lot of baits at this point just to see what sticks. I’ve heard Megabass USA is the only thing keeping Megabass going at the moment. But that might just be a rumor.

I know Megabass isn’t the “thing” in japan these days. And it’s become more of an American enthusiast brand than a Japanese one.
That being said, I imagine the company would continue, but who knows what direction they’d take in the future.

When you look at the 2021 baits being released, they are virtually just recreating a Jackall Mikey, (At least Jackall discontinued the Mikey already). Very little of the 2021 offerings look unique or interesting. Only the IxI stuff catches my eye just because collaboration bait projects between Yuki and Imae are just to cool.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:08 am

IDK about this one. Megabass seems to still have a following but, I don't see them in as many conversations about the "it" rods anymore. Maybe other companies are catching up or something. I remember the X7 being next level great. Now, some models of the new Destroyers seem to be talked about but, only a few standouts.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:32 am

G40 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:30 am
It’s already a fragile company. They are throwing out a lot of baits at this point just to see what sticks. I’ve heard Megabass USA is the only thing keeping Megabass going at the moment. But that might just be a rumor.

I know Megabass isn’t the “thing” in japan these days. And it’s become more of an American enthusiast brand than a Japanese one.
That being said, I imagine the company would continue, but who knows what direction they’d take in the future.

When you look at the 2021 baits being released, they are virtually just recreating a Jackall Mikey, (At least Jackall discontinued the Mikey already). Very little of the 2021 offerings look unique or interesting. Only the IxI stuff catches my eye just because collaboration bait projects between Yuki and Imae are just to cool.
Weren’t there rumors about Lucky Craft a couple years back?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:05 am

Megabass is doing just fine in the US and abroad. The P5 rods have sparked a tremendous amount of interest. After X7, it took a lot to get folks excited about main run type Megabass rods again, but these P5's have done just that. Their recent SV-3 spinner bait, Jamaica Boa buzz bait, Z Cranks, Dark Sleeper, and the numerous prototype baits in the pipeline (just to name a few) will keep them relevant for many years to come. I would be very surprised that once Yuki Ito decides to hand over the reins to the next generation, it isn't done carefully and in a way that will ensure future success.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:43 pm

What if Megabass becomes like ZPI and creates their Alcance 😭
Last edited by SSS on Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:11 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:05 am
The P5 rods have sparked a tremendous amount of interest.
For real. I am seeing a ton of talk about the P5 rods, way way more then I have ever seen about any higher-end rod. Even on some of the reddit fishing subs, places where "get you a ugly stick" is like every other post, there is a ton of interest in the P5 rods.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:57 am

Houndfish wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:11 am
For real. I am seeing a ton of talk about the P5 rods, way way more then I have ever seen about any higher-end rod. Even on some of the reddit fishing subs, places where "get you a ugly stick" is like every other post, there is a ton of interest in the P5 rods.
What would be interesting and perhaps more salient here is the chatter in japan about p5 or any other MB (for that matter, any JDM brand's) product.

Every now and then a bait or rod just gets completely sold out in Japan, and packs of soft plastics will hit ebay at 10x the list price. This is pre pandy and you have to figure what's actually hot is being reflected in sales.