What would happen to Megabass without Yuki Ito?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What would happen to Megabass without Yuki Ito?

Post by ftl1951 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:23 pm

Megabass follows the JDM fishing gear manufacturers model of making a “run” or “batch of rods or gear (baits) in any particular series in quantities that only they (JDM manufacturers) understand. I’m sure it follows buying patterns, market interest, etc., but they do not just mass produce the snot out of anything. Once they reach their quota for a production run, that’s it until the next batch. Many times, much of the quantities are already spoken for with the excess put in their pipeline for orders outside the standing allotments with their dealers. Almost all manufacturers will not begin a new run of production until the remaining stocks are sold and shipped. A lot of their decisions are also based on the raw materials needed to produce products. It is almost certain that they don’t over buy ahead of time making timing critical for when they want to produce a batch of stuff. If their suppliers don’t have the raw materials, everyone suffers delays down/up the line. The Japanese operate differently and do not want products, whether it’s fishing gear, culinary products, electronics or whatever to be over produced causing severe discounts on excess inventory just to get stuff out of the warehouse. This way, they also keep demand constant and create a desire in the public to want/get something that isn’t easy to obtain.

The only time they want to deal with having to unload excess product generally is when the model is being discontinued and/replaced with something new. Of course, no matter what the product is, if it doesn’t live up to what the manufacturers claim for its use, then demand will go stale quickly.

Hence, the issues with the previous version of the Levante rods breakage caused them to pull and redesign the series. It would appear, at least initially, these rods are improved in every way imaginable. I am hopeful they perform as advertised.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:45 pm

I would just like to know why all USDM Destroyers disappeared from TW. I hope nothing happened to Yuki Ito! ;)

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:00 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:32 am
G40 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:30 am
It’s already a fragile company. They are throwing out a lot of baits at this point just to see what sticks. I’ve heard Megabass USA is the only thing keeping Megabass going at the moment. But that might just be a rumor.

I know Megabass isn’t the “thing” in japan these days. And it’s become more of an American enthusiast brand than a Japanese one.
That being said, I imagine the company would continue, but who knows what direction they’d take in the future.

When you look at the 2021 baits being released, they are virtually just recreating a Jackall Mikey, (At least Jackall discontinued the Mikey already). Very little of the 2021 offerings look unique or interesting. Only the IxI stuff catches my eye just because collaboration bait projects between Yuki and Imae are just to cool.
Weren’t there rumors about Lucky Craft a couple years back?
Yes. When there is no baits on the shelf anywhere, might as well be out of business. Sieji Kato put them on the map, and they weren't the same once he left. ](*,)

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:57 pm

G40 wrote:
I know Megabass isn’t the “thing” in japan these days. And it’s become more of an American enthusiast brand than a Japanese one.
I do not know if it is true or not, but being successful in the US would bring in more money than being successful in Japan, at least the size of the market seems bigger.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:15 am

You also have to remember, the future for JDM bass tackle was cut short when the Japanese government put largemouth and smallmouth bass on the alien species list. I think that could be what started started or sped up the export boom of JDM tackle.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:19 am

Johnny A wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:15 am
You also have to remember, the future for JDM bass tackle was cut short when the Japanese government put largemouth and smallmouth bass on the alien species list. I think that could be what started started or sped up the export boom of JDM tackle.
When did that happen?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:49 am

zalan wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:19 am
Johnny A wrote:
When did that happen?

https://www.nies.go.jp/biodiversity/inv ... 0330e.html

This is why the world record tie coming from Japan was of importance

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:08 am

Johnny A wrote:
Do you know the actual policy regulating LM/SM in Japan? Are people required to kill them like some states require with snakeheads here?

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:26 am

reason162 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:08 am
Johnny A wrote:
Do you know the actual policy regulating LM/SM in Japan? Are people required to kill them like some states require with snakeheads here?
This link has some info on rules/laws

https://www.ichibantackle.com/c/alienspecies/

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:19 pm

reason162 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:08 am
Johnny A wrote:
I’ve read, you’ll have to do a search, they have garbage cans to throw the fish lakeside.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:20 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Interest in bass fishing is declining, and saltwater fishing actually getting more popular, plus one of the lowest birth rates with young generation decreasing. Some of my Japanese friends told me they all release bass back.

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:39 am

zalan wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:57 pm
G40 wrote:
I do not know if it is true or not, but being successful in the US would bring in more money than being successful in Japan, at least the size of the market seems bigger.
Not just that, At one point years ago Vison 110s sold for $1 second hand, because of oversaturation.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:14 pm

Megabass isn’t what it used to be. Mass produced, cheapened products, and the rarity and appeal is gone.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:18 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:14 pm
Megabass isn’t what it used to be. Mass produced, cheapened products, and the rarity and appeal is gone.
Have you fished with a P5 yet? I would argue that the P5 series in general is as good or better in terms of performance than any rod they've ever produced, X7 included. P5 may not be as ornate as Megabass of old, but when it comes down to pure performance, the P5's rival or exceed some of the highest end lines from some of the biggest names out there, and at a lower cost to play too. From what I've seen, the appeal is far from gone, and the rarity... good luck finding some of the most popular models anytime soon.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:37 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:14 pm
I would totally disagree. Especially about mass producing.
They just released their vision oneten +1 jr in the middle of winter and they have been sold out for months.
Most colors impossible to snag unless on eBay.

Not to mention their P5’s and their recently released Levantes that were literally almost sold out on pre sales.

I can’t speak for the Japan market but the US market is loving Megabass.

Even their respect colors sell out in minutes. And I’m mot talking just 110’s.
What Megabass is doing now with their respect color drops is changing the lineup every time as opposed to having the same baits they normally have so now they’re bringing back old school baits in that particular respect color which is cool, and they’re still selling out in minutes.

The recently released Tequila Shad color was selling for over $60 each on eBay on the same day retailers released them.

The hook up tackle released their 2021 Megabass Lucky Bag and they sold all 200 bags at $150 in less than 10 mins.

There is very high demand here in the US and Megabass is on fire lately.