Megabass Phase 3 F2 60x Cliffhanger / Criffhanger

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Megabass Phase 3 F2 60x Cliffhanger / Criffhanger

Post by Jdmbassman » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:21 pm

Hi folks,

Looking for a bottom contact bfs rod.

I like the P5 Pop X Stick for bfs moving baits as it has a more parabolic action / regular taper.

Obvious choice would be to get a carbon head or P5 Criffhanger / Cliffhanger (not sure on the translation) but I have fond memories of the P3 blank in general, always thought of it to be sensitive and a faster taper than other Megabass blanks.

I can pick one up for a fair price so interested what folks think of it in comparison to the newer models.

Thanks in advance

Matthew

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Phase 3 F2 60x Cliffhanger / Criffhanger

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:51 am

Jdmbassman wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:21 pm
Hi folks,

Looking for a bottom contact bfs rod.

I like the P5 Pop X Stick for bfs moving baits as it has a more parabolic action / regular taper.

Obvious choice would be to get a carbon head or P5 Criffhanger / Cliffhanger (not sure on the translation) but I have fond memories of the P3 blank in general, always thought of it to be sensitive and a faster taper than other Megabass blanks.

I can pick one up for a fair price so interested what folks think of it in comparison to the newer models.

Thanks in advance

Matthew
How do you like the Pop X P5? You think it has too much backbone for bluegill?

Like a deeper bend rod for bluegill and especially crappie. Casting 1/16oz plus trailer jigs most times.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:16 am

I got my hands on a P3 Criffhanger a year or three ago. It's a super super fun rod, feels like a fencing foil in hand. It's sweet spot is about 1/4oz and it's very much a fast taper with reasonably stiff tip. I use it as a jig/worm rod and love it. If I found a second one for a good price I would be tempted to buy it as a backup.

It can handle some decent bass too, this guy was landed on 7lb Sniper and I had to work him out of a little hydrilla.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:00 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:16 am
I got my hands on a P3 Criffhanger a year or three ago. It's a super super fun rod, feels like a fencing foil in hand. It's sweet spot is about 1/4oz and it's very much a fast taper with reasonably stiff tip. I use it as a jig/worm rod and love it. If I found a second one for a good price I would be tempted to buy it as a backup.

It can handle some decent bass too, this guy was landed on 7lb Sniper and I had to work him out of a little hydrilla.
How does it compare to the 65UL Volkey

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:59 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:00 pm

How does it compare to the 65UL Volkey
Stiffer tip for sure, maybe more power in the butt as well. The 65UL Volkey feels lighter overall, I have taken them both wading and with same small-smallies and big redbreasts the Volkey gives a better fight. I have never use the Volkey in ponds with cover so I can't really speak to it's real power.

With an Arie Red reel/spool the Cliffhanger gets a little wild much below 1/4oz. If I have room to make a real cast it's fine but the tip in stiff enough that for really close in stuff I want a little heavier presentation to help the tip load well. The flip side is that it gives excellent hooksets even with tiny jigs w/ brush guards and thinner t-rigged plastics. The Volkey is an mostly open-hook rod for me.