My SV Boost reels, so far...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: My SV Boost reels, so far...

Post by abbor » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:07 am

I want the best Daiwa for casting 5-15g, I'm mostly using metal spinners and spoons. I prefer using 0.20mm nylon ​monofilament. I think the SV reels (I have Steez, Steez CT TW and T3) are over braked. I also had a SS SV which was even more over braked. I use zero mechanical brake. I usually have the brake at 3.5 to 4.5. I feel the reel is over braked at the last step which don't give me backlash. So it's only one step from overbraked to backlash.

Most of my almost 40 years long baitcaster experience is with Ambassadeur reels, my favorite is a heavily tuned 6500 CS Mag where I have removed three of the magnets. This reel has both centrifugal and magnetic brakes, I'm able to fine tune the braking such that I have a slight tendency to line lift, this is what's giving the longest casts.

I've just ordered a JDM Zillon 1000H SV TW. Will this reeel be the best alternative for me for 5-15g? I want a reel which don't feel over braked and where I have more than one step between backlash and over braked.

Except from a few ball bearings and 15g what advantages does Steez 1000 SV TW have over Zillion 1000 SV TW? I first just wanted a SV Boost spool, but since Zillion 1000H SV TW has a very good price and is currently available I ended up ordering a reel.

I've also ordered a RCSB CT SV 7000S spool. I already have a Ray's spool for my Steez CT SV TW, but since ported spools are not recommended for mono I only used it for braid. Hopefully the shallow spool will improve CT SV TW at least for 5-10g, for heavier lures it probably won't hold sufficient line.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:29 am

abbor wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:07 am

...ported spools are not recommended for mono...
According to whom, and for what reason?

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:32 am

abbor wrote:
I want the best Daiwa for casting 5-15g, I'm mostly using metal spinners and spoons...
I have Steez...
I've just ordered a JDM Zillon 1000H SV TW...
Hello, Friend!
I have a little experiense with SV Boost and it very nice spool. 10 g sinker cast with it far and easily than "original" SV and Rays spool with fixed inductor.
So, i think you must try SV Boost spool in Steez for your purposes.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:52 am

Bronzeye wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:29 am
abbor wrote:

I've seen it stated from several sources, but it's a long time ago so I don't remember where. But my main source is discussions with Ulf Thingstrom, the guy behind UT Reel Technology, which designed and manufactured Ambassadeur tuning spools.

When wet mono is spooled on under high tension the forces on the spool when the line dries can be soo high the spool might get warped. It's also valid for spools made in very thin materials without porting. A thick wall spole with a few holes will of course not be affected.
Last edited by abbor on Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:57 am

Loafer wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:32 am
abbor wrote:
I want the best Daiwa for casting 5-15g, I'm mostly using metal spinners and spoons...
I have Steez...
I've just ordered a JDM Zillon 1000H SV TW...
Hello, Friend!
I have a little experiense with SV Boost and it very nice spool. 10 g sinker cast with it far and easily than "original" SV and Rays spool with fixed inductor.
So, i think you must try SV Boost spool in Steez for your purposes.
I can't see any reason why Steez should cast longer than Zillion. I would actually think T3 SV will be the reel giving the longest casts with SV Boost due to the three brake profiles and the widest T-wing.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:02 am

abbor wrote:
I want the best Daiwa for casting 5-15g, I'm mostly using metal spinners and spoons. I prefer using 0.20mm nylon ​monofilament. I think the SV reels (I have Steez, Steez CT TW and T3) are over braked. I also had a SS SV which was even more over braked. I use zero mechanical brake. I usually have the brake at 3.5 to 4.5. I feel the reel is over braked at the last step which don't give me backlash. So it's only one step from overbraked to backlash.

Most of my almost 40 years long baitcaster experience is with Ambassadeur reels, my favorite is a heavily tuned 6500 CS Mag where I have removed three of the magnets. This reel has both centrifugal and magnetic brakes, I'm able to fine tune the braking such that I have a slight tendency to line lift, this is what's giving the longest casts.

I've just ordered a JDM Zillon 1000H SV TW. Will this reeel be the best alternative for me for 5-15g? I want a reel which don't feel over braked and where I have more than one step between backlash and over braked.

Except from a few ball bearings and 15g what advantages does Steez 1000 SV TW have over Zillion 1000 SV TW? I first just wanted a SV Boost spool, but since Zillion 1000H SV TW has a very good price and is currently available I ended up ordering a reel.

I've also ordered a RCSB CT SV 7000S spool. I already have a Ray's spool for my Steez CT SV TW, but since ported spools are not recommended for mono I only used it for braid. Hopefully the shallow spool will improve CT SV TW at least for 5-10g, for heavier lures it probably won't hold sufficient line.
I initially ordered the new steez, but after considering the price difference for a while, I cancelled and got the Zillion boost. I really like the new zillion, esp. When considering the price.
I have not used the stock boost spool very much but the reel works great with Roro spools. For casting distance with light lures this spool is amazing:
DKK 334.43 51% Off | DIY New Lightweight FISHING REEL SPOOL 6.9g for DAIWA STEEZ SV SS SV TD-Z T3 MX RYOGA 1016 ZILLION SV TW CUSTOM
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNmClVh
- I use it with the cup withdrawn as far as possible (4 positions) and get better casting distance than with any other spool in a Daiwa. It should handle a fair amoun of 0.20 mm - otherwise the deeper version is worth considering.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:52 am

abbor wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:57 am
I can't see any reason why Steez should cast longer than Zillion.
I think magnets in these reels can be different and work different with same spool.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:09 am

The strength of the magnets can be compensate by changing the brake setting. T3 SV in Long cast mode is the reel I've tried with the least brake strength.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:46 am

Bronzeye wrote:
abbor wrote:

Even at Aliexpress they recommend multifilament for thin walled spools.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... t=39412407

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:59 am

abbor wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:46 am
Bronzeye wrote:
abbor wrote:

Even at Aliexpress they recommend multifilament for thin walled spools.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... t=39412407
Strangely Daiwa recommends the opposite and states that PE should not be used with their Air spools.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210419-121948_Chrome_copy_720x678.jpg
Screenshot_20210419-121948_Chrome_copy_720x678.jpg (51.12 KiB) Viewed 6003 times

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 pm

The recommendation from Daiwa not to use multifilament is probably because a very strong line can deform the spool if excessive force is used to get a stuck lure free from the bottom. This is a problem the user easily can avoid.

I understand the physics behind why nylon is not good for thin spools. Nylon is absorbing a lot of water and when saturated by water it stretches very easily. If spooled under high tension with these conditions the spool will be exposed to very high forces when the line dries up. FC and multifilament don't absorb much water due to this these lines are much better suited for thin walled spools.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:38 pm

I would think the spool would be quite strong to compressive forces acting on it. Shearing the spool base from the spool shaft with all those tiny spokes would be the fear for me and a likely point of failure from high drag pressures, hard hook sets and PE line.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:26 pm

I have read about plenty of concerns with PE and mono on shallow ported spools.
I have used all types of line on shallow spools and have not yet had any spools deform or break. Moreover, I have yet to read about or see actual issues with spool deformation.

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:11 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:08 pm
SSS wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:13 pm
If you're fishing from a boat, you really don't need much distance in most cases, but i can tell you that fishing from the bank, an R+ spool compared to the orange RCS Steez spool or the Steez SV TW stock spools (as a few examples) are so far behind. I see a lot of people praising them because you can "thumb free" SV spools. Well, if they're this overbreaked, why won't you be able to thumb free them? Outside of skipping, i really don't see the point of SV spools, personally.
I fish from a boat often, and I fish from the bank often in the ponds. There are instances where I'm boat fishing flats with a lipless, burning a spinner bait, tossing a swim bait, deep cranking, fishing a football jig, and other instances where distance is very important, and frequently. I understand the characteristics of my reels and choose accordingly, SV equipped reels included. I've never considered them "over braked" rather controlled by design, but even that is easily managed for distance with the brake dial and or cast control/zero adjuster. One can free up an SV reel enough using those two easily manipulated controls to absolutely need a trained thumb when casting, and achieve more than adequate distance. Steez A HLC or even Tatula Elite Long Cast distance with ease, no, of course not, but that's also by design.

I do agree that the orange RCS Steez spool is less than impressive as it comes, but it can be tweaked to make it palatable, even enjoyable. I couldn't stand it when I first fished it, but after the tweaks made by Bryan at TT, it's significantly improved in terms of overall performance. I'm also a big fan of the R+ platform and have a TD-Z 103ML R+ that is beat up, has landed some serious fish in its life, and is my go to bank fishing reel for both sentimental and performance reasons.

The point of SV spools lies in the basic concept that names them, "stress free versatile." Set up a 2020 Tatula SV TW with a factory zero adjuster and 15 on the brake dial and sling away thumb free, it really doesn't backlash much at all unless you slam a dock piling mid-cast. Granted, you won't get epic distance, but back off the zero adjuster, drop it down to 5 and that is an entirely different story. SV spools by design and concept are NOT made for achieving the longest distance casts possible, nor are they or will they ever be marketed as such. They are intended to offer both beginning anglers ease of use without endless backlashes, but also advanced anglers who understand the concept behind them to take advantage of tossing a jerk bait into a stiff wind, skipping a jig up under a dock, fighting a nasty cross wind with a high resistance spinner bait, and yes, tossing lighter baits with far less problems than many non-SV equipped reels. They aren't for everyone, but they are exactly what they are intended to be.

Back to the original point, SV Boost takes into consideration the concept of "stress free versatile" and adds an overall "boost" when it comes to casting distance. I am still in the early stages of playing around with this new technology, but have considerable time on the water with the previous generation of SV reels. What I'm seeing so far is that Daiwa has figured out a way to "boost" the distance, while keeping many of the attributes that have made the SV concept so popular and widely accepted among both advanced anglers, as well as new anglers. I'm looking forward to a great spring of fishing with these reels, and as stated, I'll be adding to my 2021 Zillion G SV TW arsenal as soon as supply starts to catch up, in the meantime, i"ll be working my one heavily!
This is really the perfect answer to daiwas sv spool. But as you stated earlier.. let us know more about those prototype rods when you can cause ill be one to pick some up :big grin:

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:29 am

While working on my new Zillion, I inadvertently 'lost' the little SV Boost spring. And that specific part will not be available until the end of May.

As an experiment, I tried casting without the SV Boost spring, and was total surprised. Casting distance performance was identical to with the spring, in both cases outstanding. I have a "casting park' with locations and targets marked so that I can, to a significant degree, quantify changes with different combinations, components, tuning, etc. rather experimenting when I am 'on the water'.

My preliminary observation is that there is no difference with or without the SV Boost spring in my usage. Other users/usage may have a different experience.

I have used the Zillion without the SV Boost spring in three club tournaments and casting performance at all distances has been exactly what I expected.

When I acquire a replacement SV Boost spring, I will repeat the comparison with a tad more rigor because the current comparison was not "back to back" and relied on my memory of the performance with the SV Boost spring present.

Doc