2021 shimano antares dc xg thoughts

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

2021 shimano antares dc xg thoughts

Post by tditox4 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:39 pm

Does anyone have this reel ? If so, what do you think about its performance? tia

robertjb7771
Angler
Angler

Re: 2021 shimano antares dc xg thoughts

Post by robertjb7771 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:00 pm

I do not have the xg model but the HG. They are exactly the same except for the XG’s faster gear ratio and slightly longer handle. I own the previous Antares dc 18 monster drive and the Antares 19 so I have some good context for you. The 21 Antares dc takes refinement another notch up with tighter tolerances , better cast control. Casting distance is about on par with the 18 or not a big noticeable difference. It also has a daiwa like zero adjuster tension knob on the outside and is now saltwater capable ( something the 16 was not and only the monster drive was). It has the same shape as the 19 non dc Antares but bigger ( smaller than the 16/18 dc). So it feels better in hand ( I have big hands , so either don’t bother me) . Don’t let what looks like on paper as minor differences fool you, they add up to something tight, powerful, special.