New 2021 Daiwa 月下美人 “Alphas” Air TW PE Special

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New 2021 Daiwa 月下美人 “Alphas” Air TW PE Special

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:40 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:36 am
Very good video review of Gekkabijin !

I asked for Digitaka:
Could you check that if spools are interchangeable between GekkaBijin AIR TW PE & Alphas Air TW?
They answered:
Dear sir,
Yes the spool can be compatibled each other.

Might be, might be :D

Or is this direct answer that those are interchangeable? What do you think?
(English is not mine Mother language, and it's not Mother language of Digitaka's crew...)
Youtube videos and several comments by users tell that spools are interchangeable

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:16 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:40 pm
jvelth74 wrote:
Very good video review of Gekkabijin !

I asked for Digitaka:
Could you check that if spools are interchangeable between GekkaBijin AIR TW PE & Alphas Air TW?
They answered:
Dear sir,
Yes the spool can be compatibled each other.

Might be, might be :D

Or is this direct answer that those are interchangeable? What do you think?
(English is not mine Mother language, and it's not Mother language of Digitaka's crew...)
Youtube videos and several comments by users tell that spools are interchangeable
They may be the same dimensions but, if the TWS travels less on the Gekka Bijin, that could cause line issues if trying to use the Alphas AIR TW spool in it.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:18 am

67er wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:24 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:38 pm
67er wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:45 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:00 am
You all will find out soon enough how the Gekka Bijin and the Alphas AIR TW compare. I will be posting results here. :whistle:
Wow! Thanks a bunch dude.

I suppose you will probably swap the clicker over to Air TW, Many here will be interested to know what parts to buy to transform into Exciting Drag Sound, and I suspect both the level winds are the same despite the narrower PE special spool.
I already have a drag clicker in my Alphas AIR TW (Sagisi Customs). I will swap spools and such to see how similar the reels are.
Speaking of conflict of interest... sorry to put you in a tight spot ... but surely someone will do it anyways.
It really depends on how Daiwa did the drag clicker for the Gekka Bijin. I can remove the Sagisi Customs clicker for testing. Won't do any good if the Gekka Bijin one isn't removable.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:21 am

Ray's has distance tuned SV spools in 28mm. If I could justify the cost I would get one of these, a Ray's spool, long worm shaft and then a current gen Steez rod in a ML or M power. I have no need for it though. I already have an Alphas SV on an old Steez ML Skyray Shallow Cover Finesse. I already have an Alphas SV with Ray's inductor and spring on a M/ML Orochi xXx BE2 as well as a myriad of other M and ML rigs. Just can't do it even though I have this same spool in 34mm long shaft in a Tatula and it's been one of my favorites tossing plastics on flouro.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211008-082047_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211008-082047_Gallery.jpg (36.7 KiB) Viewed 5409 times

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:26 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:21 am
Ray's has distance tuned SV spools in 28mm. If I could justify the cost I would get one of these, a Ray's spool, long worm shaft and then a current gen Steez rod in a ML or M power. I have no need for it though. I already have an Alphas SV on an old Steez ML Skyray Shallow Cover Finesse. I already have an Alphas SV with Ray's inductor and spring on a M/ML Orochi xXx BE2 as well as a myriad of other M and ML rigs. Just can't do it even though I have this same spool in 34mm long shaft in a Tatula and it's been one of my favorites tossing plastics on flouro.
Those spools definitely add depth. Outside of the added versatility of another spool, it would be worth picking up a Alphas SV TW for depth. It has a rather unique spool size though ](*,) . 32mm but, more narrow than the SS AIR, T3 AIR and SV LIGHT spools.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:39 am

The braking profile of the one I have in my Tatula Type R beats the snot out of any SV spool I have in casting distance but is worse at skipping. One of these on one of these reels solves the two main issues I have with the Alphas SV TW

1. It's not an ugly silver reel with black accents that only looks good on a Tatula Elite. It's a sexy black reel with red accents that looks good on many red trim enthusiast tier rods

2. If that spool is a 28mm version of my 34 mm Tatula Long Cast that it appears to be then it solves the choked off SV braking profile issue.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:37 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:16 am
Dalleinf wrote:
jvelth74 wrote:
They may be the same dimensions but, if the TWS travels less on the Gekka Bijin, that could cause line issues if trying to use the Alphas AIR TW spool in it.
About TWS travels, I would say that Gekkabin 'has some issue' with spooling, if this is situation from real world:

Yah, I know, it's not issue. They know what they are doing at Daiwa...

But I hope that Hobie can check that, is there difference in TWS travel lenghts.
LowRange wrote:
Ray's has distance tuned SV spools in 28mm.
Nice! More 28 mm spool options!
Last edited by jvelth74 on Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ibinsned
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ibinsned » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:44 am

I got the PE Special and I have to say that I'm kinda surprised by the somewhat "uneven" sound the spool makes when it's spinning. Don't get me wrong - I'm really excited to try it out, but it is kind of disappointing. Likely won't be able to test for a while though.
Granted, the only other Daiwa baitcaster I have to compare it to is a 2005 (?) Daiwa TD SOL, which was a pretty high-quality product at that time. Speaking of - does anybody know if there are aftermarket BFS spools for these old reels (they were sold as Alphas in Japan, correct)?

Thanks!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:34 am

ibinsned wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:44 am
I got the PE Special and I have to say that I'm kinda surprised by the somewhat "uneven" sound the spool makes when it's spinning. Don't get me wrong - I'm really excited to try it out, but it is kind of disappointing. Likely won't be able to test for a while though.
Granted, the only other Daiwa baitcaster I have to compare it to is a 2005 (?) Daiwa TD SOL, which was a pretty high-quality product at that time. Speaking of - does anybody know if there are aftermarket BFS spools for these old reels (they were sold as Alphas in Japan, correct)?

Thanks!
If it has the 33mm Alphas spool size, there are options. Roro makes some. There are also options like the Alphas SV stock spool for a mid-depth option.

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:26 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:37 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:16 am
Dalleinf wrote:
jvelth74 wrote:
About TWS travels, I would say that Gekkabin 'has some issue' with spooling, if this is situation from real world:

Yah, I know, it's not issue. They know what they are doing at Daiwa...

But I hope that Hobie can check that, is there difference in TWS travel lenghts.
LowRange wrote:
Ray's has distance tuned SV spools in 28mm.
Nice! More 28 mm spool options!
Looking at the details which cjbaguio describe on page 2, the spool has TWO steps.
This video provides the spooling line dia at 8:35 and the close up picture of the spool steps at 9:08
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leccIjqGQ8w[/youtube]

Using PE 0.6
- the 1st step is for 50m of line which shows the raised line braid
- the 2nd step allow for an additional 50m of line( max 100m) which should smooth out the line... it also suggests the travel of the TWS is the same as other Alphas.

Cheers
Trevor

P.S. if anyone speaks / reads Japanese we would be most grateful if you would translate, the manual, looks like the reel has a max lure weight of 10grams.

ibinsned
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ibinsned » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:16 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:34 am
ibinsned wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:44 am

Thanks!
If it has the 33mm Alphas spool size, there are options. Roro makes some. There are also options like the Alphas SV stock spool for a mid-depth option.
It's a 32.89 x 25.24 mm spool, so I guess that qualifies as 33 mm...
Don't the Roro's have a fixed inductor cup? Have to look to see if I can locate an SV stock spool....

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:40 pm

Roro do have a fixed inductor but, the spools aren't overbrakes for BFS casting.

67er
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 67er » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:07 pm

[/quote]

Looking at the details which cjbaguio describe on page 2, the spool has TWO steps.
This video provides the spooling line dia at 8:35 and the close up picture of the spool steps at 9:08
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leccIjqGQ8w[/youtube]

Using PE 0.6
- the 1st step is for 50m of line which shows the raised line braid
- the 2nd step allow for an additional 50m of line( max 100m) which should smooth out the line... it also suggests the travel of the TWS is the same as other Alphas.

Cheers
Trevor

P.S. if anyone speaks / reads Japanese we would be most grateful if you would translate, the manual, looks like the reel has a max lure weight of 10grams.
[/quote]

Accordingly; Mid line is recommended. The top line is the limit and nothing more above this line.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:04 am

I scanned it from screen as a text, and used Autotranslator.
Yes, it seems that heavier than 10 g (or stronger than PE1) is not recommended:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"·PE1号以上のライン、または10g以上のルァーのご使用は
このリールの適正使用条件を大きく超えますのでおやめくだ
さい"

"· When using a line of PE1 or more, or a lure of 10g or more
Please do not use this reel as it greatly exceeds the proper usage conditions."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btv, Youtube Autotranslated subtitles are usefull and sometimes those are funny:
Autotranslated subtitles.JPG
Autotranslated subtitles.JPG (27.62 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
Hmmm… Gekkabin is that much special reel that it’s mentioned in manual that line can begin to spooled wrongly…:
Special reel.JPG
Special reel.JPG (28.93 KiB) Viewed 5232 times
Theoretically, this could be used when casting over light lures, to help spool to start to rotate (and to risk the spool to be damaged) :D .

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:10 am

I got the Gekkabijin out for some testing!!! I will get right to the nerdy stuff is at TackleTour like:

Spool is compatible 100% with the Alphas AIR TW (vice versa)

I measure a few components as well with calipers:
- TWS line guide is the same size as the Alphas AIR TW
- TWS travel is the same
- All major frame components are the same
- Spool shaft length, spool diameter...all that same. Depth of Gekkabijin was less than .1mm deeper. (Should hold less line still, boxes of Alphas AIR TW and Gekkabijin somewhat conflict)

Line stacks very nice on the spool. (I used VARIVAS Infinity PE x8 in 5.6lb). There is a slight raised section on the sides of the spool (not on the "shelf"). Perhaps because of what jvelth posted above.

It is a super smooth reel and has some unique casting characteristics. The drag clicker sounds very top notch and the drag is smooth and has a very nice start/stop at various settings.

Below is my recent video stream fishing with the Gekkabijin. I used a lot of insight from the forum to make the video and hope I answered most questions. I will continue to share my results on this thread.