21 Antares DC X Mode mechanical brake settings

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
lulumink
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

21 Antares DC X Mode mechanical brake settings

Post by lulumink » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:02 pm

Hey Antares DC owner,

Has anyone tried or used the X mode (extrem long distance) yet? How tight did you set the mechanical brake?
I find that you have to tight it up quite a bit, otherwise it will backlash. Right now, it was set up in a way that the lure only drops slowly when clutch is engaged. I don't know if this is the correct way to do it. Hope someone can help me or give some hints.

If you loose up the brake just a bit, that spool will turn forever thus causes backlash. Anyone? Thanks!

MerkelHrut
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: 21 Antares DC X Mode mechanical brake settings

Post by MerkelHrut » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:00 am

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:54 am

lulumink wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:02 pm
Hey Antares DC owner,

Has anyone tried or used the X mode (extrem long distance) yet? How tight did you set the mechanical brake?
I find that you have to tight it up quite a bit, otherwise it will backlash. Right now, it was set up in a way that the lure only drops slowly when clutch is engaged. I don't know if this is the correct way to do it. Hope someone can help me or give some hints.

If you loose up the brake just a bit, that spool will turn forever thus causes backlash. Anyone? Thanks!
I don't even bother... If it had a different spool tension knob sure, but the slightest bit of wind and it's over again. That setting is only really useful for bombing 1oz traps just because, I always felt that it just doesn't have a "real world" use in every day fishing.
And then if you do want to use it on braid or whatever mode, then to get the most out of it you have to re-adjust the spool tension again.

lulumink
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lulumink » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:34 am

MerkelHrut wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:00 am
It might be helpful

http://www.tackletour.com/review16shimantaresdc.html
Thanks! That article doesn't really apply to this reel. 16 DC doesn't even have a mechanical brake control.

lulumink
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lulumink » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:35 am

Dan B wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:54 am
lulumink wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:02 pm
Hey Antares DC owner,

I don't even bother... If it had a different spool tension knob sure, but the slightest bit of wind and it's over again. That setting is only really useful for bombing 1oz traps just because, I always felt that it just doesn't have a "real world" use in every day fishing.
And then if you do want to use it on braid or whatever mode, then to get the most out of it you have to re-adjust the spool tension again.
Thanks. I'm using 1oz traps doing long distance throws. I absolutely need that X mode settings. I fish from shore, so I need to reach as far as I can.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:02 pm

lulumink wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:35 am
I fish from shore, so I need to reach as far as I can.
Perhaps you should consider reaching "as far as you can" also means without backlash... X-mode is going to do you no good if you cannot control it. Either switch to a setting that will help you control the spool, or use another reel with all the brakes off and see if you can control that reel better. That is essentially what X-mode is - no brakes. So if you're using a reel with no brakes, it won't matter what the braking system is, only what kind of control the cast control knob gives you. If the Antares DC doesn't give you enough adjustment in that area, try a different reel. Otherwise, get off of X-Mode and try the least amount of force the braid setting will give you.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:00 pm

So whats the verdict? Is X mode really a mode where DC braking occurs or is it an off switch? Would any Antares DC owner recommend X mode with deep diving cranks and long casts or is it worthless when cast into the wind? My next reel will be a Shimano DC reel. Looking to either get one of these reels as the ultimate deep crank and 30# braid reel or a Scorpion DC for a spinnerbait rod. Currently I have a reel that can do either or depending on what spool is on it.