MB Zcrank Elseil or something else?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
swimbaitrookie
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

MB Zcrank Elseil or something else?

Post by swimbaitrookie » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:11 am

Sorry for the Epistle but I think the more info I can put into the question, the better the responses can be.

I recently moved from N. Texas to Phoenix and am having to retool my tackle due to going 100% big baits / swimbaits several years ago. While the big baits have their place in some of the AZ waters, I am dusting off my old crankbaits box and need a rod to throw them on. I'm primarily looking for a rod that will handle small wake / shallow cranks, maybe up to a 5-7' deep, medium size crankbait. In my previous days (before swimbaits) I would use a Dobyns 704 for these baits but want to feed my enthusiast side with something nicer. The Zcrank seems to be well recommended for these baits but I'd like to see what the tribe thinks or if there's another MB model or another brand to think about. This rod will be used primarily for cranks but if it's useable for topwater poppers / prop baits and the like that would be a plus too. And I'm staying under $500 for this if possible.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: MB Zcrank Elseil or something else?

Post by Phippy » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:06 pm

I'm loving my XX Swingfire can handle smaller profile cranks up to 15ft if needed. Examples are a Duo Realis 11a, OSP Blitz EX DR and Blitz Max DR. Much cheaper as well.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: MB Zcrank Elseil or something else?

Post by jmb27 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:29 am

swimbaitrookie wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:11 am

I'm primarily looking for a rod that will handle small wake / shallow cranks, maybe up to a 5-7' deep, medium size crankbait. In my previous days (before swimbaits)

And I'm staying under $500 for this if possible.
I have not fished the Zcrank rod. I have fished previous MB Elseil iterations and in my view, all of them handle what you have outlined quite nicely. I am current using the X7 Super Elseil for those techniques and I love it. I don't "need" another crank rod right now, but will still probably end up with the Zcrank at some point. :lol: ;)