Digitaka and parts

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Digitaka and parts

Post by y2k88 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:57 pm

Interested in hearing people's experiences with this.

I recently ordered a main gear and pinion gear (conquest gears to go into Aldebaran) from digitaka but after installing notice there was a tick that is likely as a result of something to do with the main gear.

I contacted digitaka about this, and to no surprise, response was

Sorry, it is out of support in case of parts supply as it must be done by own responsibility

I can understand where theyre coming from. Interested to hear if people have been able to convince them otherwise.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Digitaka and parts

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:16 pm

Welcome to the tick crew :D

They won't replace anything. Ordered a gear set for the pixy from an alphas sv, and got a tick in about two months of usage.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:18 pm

I've never ordered parts from Digitaka but I have from Plat numerous time including a Conquest gearset for an Aldebaran and haven't had any issues fortunately. I've had ticks from gearsets before and its usually been a chunk of crud on the gear that caused it. Usually the crud comes from me when I'm greasing the gears or set them on my work mat for assembly. MM gears, especially the Conquest and Antares type with the really tiny teeth are very sensitive to meshing so even a little piece of hair can give a noticeable bump when reeling, especially once a light load is applied.

I've only had one manufacturing defect of the dozens of gearsets I've ordered both JDM and domestically and that was spotted instantly once i got them out of the package.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:15 pm

That'll give you a tick...
Think I'm done with micro module gear reels.
Attachments
micro module gear problem - Copy.jpg
micro module gear problem - Copy.jpg (23.92 KiB) Viewed 2548 times

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:38 am

Yes that absolutely would be a tick maker.

I have 2 MM gear reels but I concur, me and MMs do not get along well. Cool concept but I think there’s too little room for error to make them function well in a reel with any long term durability.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:05 am

ss30378 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:38 am

I have 2 MM gear reels but I concur, me and MMs do not get along well. Cool concept but I think there’s too little room for error to make them function well in a reel with any long term durability.
Its a cool concept, but Daiwa has proven to us that its a worthless concept for fishing. Their newer gear sets (zillion100, steez ct, etc) are at least as smooth, and i'd argue that they're smoother under load, especially when all the bushing are upgraded to quality bearings. You get as much/more smoothness and they're very strong, including the duralumin sets.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:40 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:05 am
ss30378 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:38 am

Its a cool concept, but Daiwa has proven to us that its a worthless concept for fishing. Their newer gear sets (zillion100, steez ct, etc) are at least as smooth, and i'd argue that they're smoother under load, especially when all the bushing are upgraded to quality bearings. You get as much/more smoothness and they're very strong, including the duralumin sets.
I would wholeheartedly agree, the new daiwa gears are very impressive and they have been very durable for me in both the aluminum and brass versions. A much better solution for long term smoothness vs MM.

My 21 conquest is my smoothest reel but I believe that would also be because of it being a solid hunk of aluminum that shields noise and vibration better than the lighter reels. How long that lasts who knows? The new daiwa gears mesh just as smooth as the conquest antares level MM gears (super fine teeth).

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:56 pm

Well... in a somewhat of a 'haven't got anything to lose' gamble,
I mixed some Meguiars Mag and Aluminium polish with grease, and applied to the main and pinion gears like normal grease.
Thinking was that the polish will knock off any uneven points of contact at a quicker rate than normal gear wear.

Fished the dodgy main gear for a quick session, got home and removed the polish/grease mix, and regreased using normal grease, and the tick is very much less noticeable now...

Still, Daiwa hyper-whatever is much better than this Sh!tmano micro module.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:00 am

What's the verdict on the Daiwa hyper mesh micro mod gears? Theh used them on the Ryogas and then stopped.