JDM Jig rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

JDM Jig rods

Post by jprice92 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:49 am

Looking for info on some jdm jigs rods, I want to try something other than megabass, I throw mostly 3/8 ounce jigs and it’s going to replace my nrx 893c, any have experience with some rods that are more sensitive than the nrx?

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: JDM Jig rods

Post by jpmoney » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:22 am

Yes I do have some suggestions. Jig rods more sensitive than 893C NRX? Sensitivity is subjective but here are a few that I have that in my opinion are more sensitive. BTW I still have an NRX893C but these JDM options are excellent if you want to shell out the BIG BUCKS:

1). Daiwa Steez Racing Design 701MH/HXB-ST. Solid tipped Steez racing design hustler finesse tune. This one is an incredible 3/8oz jig rod.

2) Shimano poison Ultima 172H. Don’t let the “H” throw you off. This rod fishes like a MH or MH+ And does amazingly well with 3/8oz jigs and T-rigs.

3) Evergreen Kaleido Black Raven Extreme RS. This is a shorter rod at 6-6” but has epic level sensitivity. If you’re looking for a shorter rod this is the GOAT for bottom contact.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:56 am

jpmoney wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:22 am
Yes I do have some suggestions. Jig rods more sensitive than 893C NRX? Sensitivity is subjective but here are a few that I have that in my opinion are more sensitive. BTW I still have an NRX893C but these JDM options are excellent if you want to shell out the BIG BUCKS:

1). Daiwa Steez Racing Design 701MH/HXB-ST. Solid tipped Steez racing design hustler finesse tune. This one is an incredible 3/8oz jig rod.

2) Shimano poison Ultima 172H. Don’t let the “H” throw you off. This rod fishes like a MH or MH+ And does amazingly well with 3/8oz jigs and T-rigs.

3) Evergreen Kaleido Black Raven Extreme RS. This is a shorter rod at 6-6” but has epic level sensitivity. If you’re looking for a shorter rod this is the GOAT for bottom contact.
I’ve been looking at the black raven, where is the best place to buy the rod?

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:15 am

The NRX's sensitivity is hard to beat because of the build. The NRX doesn't just have a small swatch of exposed blank, it is a large section of exposed blank that I can wrap 3 fingers around. Then there is the ringless guides. Every rod I can remember that came out with recoils is noted for how sensitive it is (BCR GLX, NRX, gen 1 Envy). The high-end JDM rods have more blank technology than the '08 NRX, but when you are only plugging in 1.5" or so of the blank into the handle, it is seemingly a large disadvantage. The above mentioned rods may challenge the NRX, but have limited models and most are out of stock.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:53 am

KP Duty wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:15 am
The NRX's sensitivity is hard to beat because of the build. The NRX doesn't just have a small swatch of exposed blank, it is a large section of exposed blank that I can wrap 3 fingers around. Then there is the ringless guides. Every rod I can remember that came out with recoils is noted for how sensitive it is (BCR GLX, NRX, gen 1 Envy). The high-end JDM rods have more blank technology than the '08 NRX, but when you are only plugging in 1.5" or so of the blank into the handle, it is seemingly a large disadvantage. The above mentioned rods may challenge the NRX, but have limited models and most are out of stock.
Yeah that makes sense, I’ve had my nrx for a long time now and want to try a jdm rod outside of megabass. I just something on par or better sensitivity wise.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:34 am

Can't tell a lick of difference between rods with exposed blank in the reel seat and those without sensitivity wise. Palming the reel doesn't help either or seem to hurt? :-k If it did all bottom contact would be done on spinning reels I would think.
Last edited by LowRange on Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:43 am

jprice92 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:53 am
KP Duty wrote:
Yeah that makes sense, I’ve had my nrx for a long time now and want to try a jdm rod outside of megabass. I just something on par or better sensitivity wise.

Finding JDM rods can be a challenge, but you can also think of the search as part of the fun.

Some deep cuts to consider:

1) Any heavy powered Designo rod such as DLT-C71H + R2

2) Sedition Hooligan. You can actually find these new online.

There are some super deep cut JDM specials in the classifieds section right now. Those two examples of Unlimited rods would make excellent jig rods and I think those are made on Designo blanks. Also, you won’t get such easy access to an Outlaw Blow or Fragment Factory Beserker anytime soon.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:43 am

I guess I misunderstood I thought he meant less material on the blank itself makes the nrx more sensitive.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:44 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:43 am
jprice92 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:53 am
KP Duty wrote:

Finding JDM rods can be a challenge, but you can also think of the search as part of the fun.

Some deep cuts to consider:

1) Any heavy powered Designo rod such as DLT-C71H + R2

2) Sedition Hooligan. You can actually find these new online.

There are some super deep cut JDM specials in the classifieds section right now. Those two examples of Unlimited rods would make excellent jig rods and I think those are made on Designo blanks. Also, you won’t get such easy access to an Outlaw Blow or Fragment Factory Beserker anytime soon.

Thanks I’ll look into those!

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:03 am

KP Duty wrote:
The high-end JDM rods have more blank technology than the '08 NRX, but when you are only plugging in 1.5" or so of the blank into the handle, it is seemingly a large disadvantage.
1.5" ? Where are you getting your numbers for measurements? I have all of the aforementioned rods and in reality it's about 4-4.5" of blank sliding very tightly into the handle. You also mention it is "seemingly a large disadvantage"..... :-k Again, if you haven't fished the ultima or the steez racing design how on earth would you know if it's a disadvantage, or better yet a large disadvantage?? Not trying to start something, but I give every rod a fair chance. I'm not a G loomis schill, nor am I a JDM rod schill. There's lots of rods on both domestic and JDM that have top notch sensitivity, but I just can't understand how thinking a handle connection reduces sensitivity? I can take it a step further and take shots at the NRX, yes they do have a very nice piece of exposed blank but how do you explain the NRX models (ie. 854C, 916C) that are wayyyy less sensitive than the 893C? That crushes the exposed blank theory of making a rod "more sensitive".

Moral of the story is unless you have fished a particular JDM rod model, you can't accurately judge the sensitivity level or perceived sensitivity based off design features like an exposed blank (NRX) vs blank connection (JDM) and not blank performance/design....and of course real life accounts from users who have used them. Just my $0.02

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:19 am

jpmoney wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:22 am
Yes I do have some suggestions.

+1 on these suggestions. I have both and they are great rods.

The Ultima/Kaleido rods are incredible. Lots of good choices that anyone would be happy with within the respective series.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:18 am

Have to echo the same comments, especially if you’re coming from a 893 for 3/8oz. Keep in mind the vast majority of JDM “jig” rods are shorter and fish differently with way better balance. If you’re looking for a night and day difference in sensitivity, you’re probably being overly optimistic.

Steez Racing Design 701MH/H or Evergreen Black Raven Extreme 66MH would be my top picks personally. The gap between the JDM racing design and the US-market Steez AGS has really narrowed a lot with the 2021 AGS update. Haven’t fished the Black Raven Extreme myself yet but others could comment if it’s capable of heavy cover. As stated above, the Black Raven Extreme is probably the most “current” with the latest and greatest materials out right now. I prefer stout jig rods so the MH rating has been holding me back from that one though.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:48 pm

Cranky wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:18 am
Have to echo the same comments, especially if you’re coming from a 893 for 3/8oz. Keep in mind the vast majority of JDM “jig” rods are shorter and fish differently with way better balance. If you’re looking for a night and day difference in sensitivity, you’re probably being overly optimistic.

Steez Racing Design 701MH/H or Evergreen Black Raven Extreme 66MH would be my top picks personally. The gap between the JDM racing design and the US-market Steez AGS has really narrowed a lot with the 2021 AGS update. Haven’t fished the Black Raven Extreme myself yet but others could comment if it’s capable of heavy cover. As stated above, the Black Raven Extreme is probably the most “current” with the latest and greatest materials out right now. I prefer stout jig rods so the MH rating has been holding me back from that one though.
I’m not looking for night and day difference in sensitivity, just want it to be Atleast on par with my 893. I’m looking at the ultima and black raven now. The steez rods never really intrigued me too much but I’ve heard they were awesome rods.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:21 pm

You don’t have to search very hard to find lots of fans of the Steez Racing Design rods. It’s ok if they’re not your style though.

Between the Ultima 72H and Black Raven Extreme the action is quite a bit different. The Ultima is a much more moderate, deeper bend and as others have stated fishes more like a MH+. It’s very very different from an 893 action wise. The Black Raven Extreme is more similar to the 893 but lots shorter. If you want a faster action and longer length, the Ultima 74MH+ 5-piece is closer to the 893 but you’re out on the edge of exotics with the 5-piece Ultima. Not many of them in the wild and depends what your comfort level with multi piece rods is. They are incredible though, I do think they’re actually a step up from a standard Ultima and I like the improved action due to the stepped length design. I get that they’re not appealing to lots of people though.

Evergreen Rapid Gunner is another great 3/8 jig rod, very very similar action to an 893 but more power in the lower 3/4 of the rod whenever you need it. Certainly a rod that could drive someone to put an 893 in the wood chipper. Luxxe Oltre B70H is a cult classic that’s incredible in its true uniqueness but no longer made and hard to find.

They’re all very very nice rods and getting to the point where they’re almost functional art in some cases. Quite a few smaller production companies and/or boutique makers but those JDM large production rods like Ultima, Evergreen, Steez RD, etc are as good of starting points as any and usually easy to find.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:45 pm

The NRX 893 was my first top of the food chain type jig rod and while I loved the sensitivity the soft tip didn't seem to match up right with the backbone. It felt like I had too much backbone or too soft of a tip to match well with any baits and I seemed to loose allot of fish with it. My first replacement was a Megabass PIII Nautilus. It is close in sensitivity and wonderful if you like a longer jig rod. I lose less fish and don't feel I lose enough sensitivity to miss out on any bites. It is nicer to cast and handle and works great for 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs and texas rigs.

Now I usually use a Steez Jigga Stick or the Designo Leben DLT-C71 + R2. They are both more sensitive than the Nautilus and in the same class as the NRX 893. I could see people saying they are either more or less sensitive as it can be an objective thing but they are both as sensative as it gets. The Jigga Stick is a true heavy and you really need at least a 1/2 oz jig to be in its sweet spot. It is phenomenal especially if you are going a bit over 1/2 oz.

I end up using the DLT-C71H + R2 for almost all of my jig and worm fishing however. To me its just a hair less sensitive than the Racing Design Jigga stick but I prefer its ergonomics. It is perfect with a 1/2 oz jig but also works great with 3/8 oz or 1/4 oz texas rig. It feels like your fishing a medium power rod with its weight and balance, loads up perfectly to cast, yet has loads of power and I rarely lose a fish. I cannot recommend this rod enough. If I could have any rod for bottom contact I would pick this one with no hesitation.