2022 Aldebaran BFS

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

2022 Aldebaran BFS

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:00 pm

Anyone got one?

I got mine in and it is a gem. Looks are what they are but, the reel is actually smaller than most people thought. I took the calipers and the width is about the same and the 2022 is slightly shorter than the 2016 version.

Did some casting as well. Braking is more sensitive (in a good way) than the 2016. I am super impressed and want more time with it before I make any more comments.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2022 Aldebaran BFS

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:51 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:00 pm
Anyone got one?

I got mine in and it is a gem. Looks are what they are but, the reel is actually smaller than most people thought. I took the calipers and the width is about the same and the 2022 is slightly shorter than the 2016 version.

Did some casting as well. Braking is more sensitive (in a good way) than the 2016. I am super impressed and want more time with it before I make any more comments.
Glad someone finally got one in to test. I saw one youtuber mention he had not received his yet. I really want to hear how it compares to the other big ones right now, the Alphas AIR and its 2 variants. I am closer to buying an actual BFS reel and now is a great time with so many choices. I agree looks can be overcome, but do you think the brake dial will be an issue now that the reel is actually in hand? How about the 80mm handle? Last question I wondered about the new Aldebaran BFS was if they added dual mainshaft bearings, the count of 11 would tell you yes (2 pinion, 2 spool, 2 main shaft, 1 anti reverse, 4 handle). Just wasn't sure if the reel had levelwind bearings or not. Looking forward to a review on here and youtube.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:09 am

Yes, nowadays there's good options for true BFS from Daiwa and Shimano. (Plus more chinese reels from Aliexpress.) That's really nice because UL baitcasting fishing is so fun. Gasoline prices are currently sky high and it's really nice that I have nice enough streams near to me. In my opinion limiting diameter of spool is good in BFS and now also Shimano has really small diameter spool. I'm wondering is it now there or will Shimano or Daiwa (or Aliexpress) introduce smaller spools than today.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:01 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:09 am
Yes, nowadays there's good options for true BFS from Daiwa and Shimano. (Plus more chinese reels from Aliexpress.) That's really nice because UL baitcasting fishing is so fun. Gasoline prices are currently sky high and it's really nice that I have nice enough streams near to me. In my opinion limiting diameter of spool is good in BFS and now also Shimano has really small diameter spool. I'm wondering is it now there or will Shimano or Daiwa (or Aliexpress) introduce smaller spools than today.
I wonder where spool size will plateau. I would assume you don't want to go too small for obvious issues like line management. Also the Alphas Air variants with narrow designed spools added something new. I enjoy the Aliexpress BFS rod I own and like UL baitcasting, but I also like fishing that way with a spinning reel. UL-Light powered rods are just always fun.

I wondered a while back if you could build a BFS reel into the tiny little round reels you see. The junker style ones you see on crappie rods or telescopic rod gag gifts. If a company used that style frame, a decent spool/brakes, and workable gears I think it would make an awesome reel. Wouldn't have to be top tier refinement, but if it was freakish tiny and worked I think people would use them.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:11 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:01 pm
jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:09 am
I wonder where spool size will plateau. I would assume you don't want to go too small for obvious issues like line management. Also the Alphas Air variants with narrow designed spools added something new. I enjoy the Aliexpress BFS rod I own and like UL baitcasting, but I also like fishing that way with a spinning reel. UL-Light powered rods are just always fun.

I wondered a while back if you could build a BFS reel into the tiny little round reels you see. The junker style ones you see on crappie rods or telescopic rod gag gifts. If a company used that style frame, a decent spool/brakes, and workable gears I think it would make an awesome reel. Wouldn't have to be top tier refinement, but if it was freakish tiny and worked I think people would use them.
Hahaha...that would be great to have a tiny round reel like that.

For spool size, I think some specialized reels may come out that are smaller but, I agree with a functional limit.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:15 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:51 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Anyone got one?

Glad someone finally got one in to test. I saw one youtuber mention he had not received his yet. I really want to hear how it compares to the other big ones right now, the Alphas AIR and its 2 variants. I am closer to buying an actual BFS reel and now is a great time with so many choices. I agree looks can be overcome, but do you think the brake dial will be an issue now that the reel is actually in hand? How about the 80mm handle? Last question I wondered about the new Aldebaran BFS was if they added dual mainshaft bearings, the count of 11 would tell you yes (2 pinion, 2 spool, 2 main shaft, 1 anti reverse, 4 handle). Just wasn't sure if the reel had levelwind bearings or not. Looking forward to a review on here and youtube.
Brake dial isn't as bad as people think. It is apparent when palming but, nothing too unusual from the Daiwa brake dial like the OG Zillion, SS SV and other reels with the brake dial on top.

80mm handle is pretty typical for BFS and feels nice.

I will check into the bearings and such in a little bit. I will be taking the reel apart so, that can prove things.

What do you plan on using with the eventual BFS reel? Can narrow things down with that info.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:17 pm

Link to first video below. I will be posting some "first access" information here before other places so, stay tuned for updates. Reply with what info you want to see!!!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:23 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:15 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:51 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Anyone got one?

Brake dial isn't as bad as people think. It is apparent when palming but, nothing too unusual from the Daiwa brake dial like the OG Zillion, SS SV and other reels with the brake dial on top.

80mm handle is pretty typical for BFS and feels nice.

I will check into the bearings and such in a little bit. I will be taking the reel apart so, that can prove things.

What do you plan on using with the eventual BFS reel? Can narrow things down with that info.
Meant to ask on the youtube comments, does the new Aldebaran have aluminum gears? I thought the Alphas SV TW had brass, but the BFS variants (Air, Gekka, and Silver Creek) had aluminum gears. I know the Aldebaran has a tiny 29mm spool, but super high ratios and aluminum micro gears seem like a bad mix. Same goes for the new shallow Metanium, wonder how the newly deigned aluminum micros hold up.

I will put an eventual true BFS reel on my Proflex 2 UL. It is as light as I ever need to go here. As long as I can throw a 1/16 and Bobby Garland Baby Shad, I am golden. My current Ray's 1016 spool does a fair job, just raspy and not much control. I will eventually pick up a better BFS rod, probably on par with the Proflex 2 or even a tad stronger, maybe a good Light power. They used to make the Proflex 2 in a Light but I cannot find them now (missed a chance at one for $60 before Ali rods went up). The other thing that has kept me from buying a true BFS reel is I get plenty distance on 1/8oz range dropshots/finesse lures with an SV105 running 7lb Sniper.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:28 pm

Aluminum gears. You are correct with the Daiwa gears you speak of. My 2016 Aldebaran BFS been used A LOT and the gears are still great. Routine maintenance helps with that. BFS reels also do not get the same abuse of conventional bass reels so, maybe that has something to do with it.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:08 am

Very nice video Hobie-wan,
I love my current Aldebaran, but if the new model is a better caster, I would probably get it. Have you been able to test that yet?

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:55 am

I've been tested a bit,with 5'5" glass rod + 2lb Nanofil new Ald 22 able to cast 1g micro crankbait.Spool starts light and easy,brakes have a long adjustment...what's not good for light lures,is how ftb works,I mean doesn't work well ,imo,- those mini springs need to be changed by magnets for better work in light short casts...also,spool brake is too strong,compare to daiwa steez air,on minimum brakes it's will be good for bass only,not for panfish. Just waiting fon microspools showing up :P

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:03 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:28 pm
Aluminum gears. You are correct with the Daiwa gears you speak of. My 2016 Aldebaran BFS been used A LOT and the gears are still great. Routine maintenance helps with that. BFS reels also do not get the same abuse of conventional bass reels so, maybe that has something to do with it.
I assume at the Aldebaran price point they are the tier 2 micro module gears. I also still wonder if they will make a general finesse version of this Aldebaran. An Aldebaran with a deeper SVS braked spool could be interesting. I would love that reel if it had brass gears, recessed brake dial, and the extra bearing support the previous model did not. Like a tiny lightweight magnesium reel with gears strong enough to make it a tank of a finesse caster. I would be more interested in that reel than a Steez CT for the price difference, even without brass gears.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:58 pm

Rodster14 wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:08 am
Very nice video Hobie-wan,
I love my current Aldebaran, but if the new model is a better caster, I would probably get it. Have you been able to test that yet?
I think it casts better than the 2016. Most of my testing has been stream fishing but, I did get some time casting bass lures on the Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse 700c. I do like that the brakes have a wider range. I am usually around 2 or so on the 2016. With the 22, the brake dial was between 4 and 3 depending on the lure. I didn't need to adjust the brakes transitioning from short range, mid range, long casting and pitching. That was a gripe I had with the 2016.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:05 pm

This reel is so ugly that even if it was the best performing bfs reel on the market, i wouldn't even consider getting it. The redesign, DAT side plate, plastic star drag, aliexpress looking paint, etc is just too much for me.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:39 pm

Who else has got there 22 Aldebaran BFS out? I have a little time in various settings and rods. Very versatile so far. I will type more tomorrow. Giving the TT forum the "first access" to my findings when I type here before video releases.