JDM Expride B 6'10 Casting

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

JDM Expride B 6'10 Casting

Post by Mang » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:19 pm

2 piece rod pretty cool. We didn't read the description good enough and order the 2 piece. Lol
Attachments
received_337518241690253.jpeg
received_337518241690253.jpeg (60.2 KiB) Viewed 4169 times

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: JDM Expride B 6'10 Casting

Post by StymoDe » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:27 pm

all JDM new Expride come with 2 pieces, grip connection or center cut
and they don't have hook keeper. to me no hook keeper is better than hook keeper in the wrong place

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:46 pm

I don’t get the grip connection. Disconnected only makes the rod marginally shorter.
I think the real reason is manufacturing. Probably saves some money to manufacture separately.

I like 1 piece rods.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:51 pm

Also I was under the impression that monocoque handle is supposed to be part of the blank?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:37 pm

All Exprides, PAs and PGs have been two-piece as far as I've been able to tell. On one-piece rods the blank is just glued in instead of it being removable. I read an old Expride review that mentioned where you can see the blank connect with the handle. I got a Poison Glorious recently that was similarly divided as the Expride B shown above.

The official Shimano explanation at https://fish.shimano.com.sg/content/fis ... ogies.html
Carbon-Monocoque
High sensitivity from a hollow rod butt made using a mould. A rod's rear grip has an important role to play in transferring subtle information coming from beneath the water surface.
Carbon Monocoque grip is a hollow structure that is both light and sensitive, transferring even the smallest vibration to your hand.
That might not apply to every rod series, of course. It's just an informed guess on my part.

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:15 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:37 pm
All Exprides, PAs and PGs have been two-piece as far as I've been able to tell. On one-piece rods the blank is just glued in instead of it being removable. I read an old Expride review that mentioned where you can see the blank connect with the handle. I got a Poison Glorious recently that was similarly divided as the Expride B shown above.

The official Shimano explanation at https://fish.shimano.com.sg/content/fis ... ogies.html
Carbon-Monocoque
High sensitivity from a hollow rod butt made using a mould. A rod's rear grip has an important role to play in transferring subtle information coming from beneath the water surface.
Carbon Monocoque grip is a hollow structure that is both light and sensitive, transferring even the smallest vibration to your hand.
That might not apply to every rod series, of course. It's just an informed guess on my part.
My 6'6 medium poison glorius is 1 piece 😁

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:14 am

Drakestar wrote:
On one-piece rods the blank is just glued in instead of it being removable.
Is that confirmed? If so I'll just order my exprides from Japan instead of waiting for Shimano USA to get fully stocked.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:33 pm

Jbc88 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:15 pm
Drakestar wrote:

Carbon-Monocoque
My 6'6 medium poison glorius is 1 piece 😁
Is it a continuous blank, though? Or is the blank glued into the handle? I think that's the question we're trying to answer. I think there's reason to believe that the monocoques are molded separately and then connected to the blank.

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:34 pm

@TackleTour dissect one for us and find out. \:D/

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:01 am

I would think the US version is the same but just glued into the handle. Has anyone confirmed this? I am about to order a couple from Japan. Do not want to wait until the fall and coukd save some money.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:26 am

rando wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:46 pm

I like 1 piece rods.
I used to be the same now I’m 5 rods in the 2 piece
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:10 pm

rando wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:51 pm
Also I was under the impression that monocoque handle is supposed to be part of the blank?
I highly doubt it. It's just the new thing.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:15 pm

I would go even further and suggest that many rods that have "exposed blank" reel seats are in fact an insert between the blank and seat. On some other the "exposed blank" in the split grip section may be an insert or separate piece as well. I know on my gen 1 Zodias the blank between the grips on the handle is rather large. Much more so if it was just a continuation of the blank. Its like it is something slid over the blank.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:38 pm

I'll triple down on this and say that the "carbon handle" on the Posion Adreanas is probably Ci4+ plastic and basically the same stuff the reel seat is made from. Maybe I am wrong and they are rolling the handles from carbon cloth then fitting them to the reel seat but it seems much more likely that they are plastic handle glued to the rod. Not a negative to me at all.