ZPI back to making spools?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: ZPI back to making spools?

Post by SSS » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:57 pm

About time. You looked at their page, and its like seeing an Aliexpress ad, what the hell.

Seing them go back to what they're known for is great news, but their stuff better be made in Japan, and if it isn't, and they're selling Chinese made handles for $120 :laugh1: I kinda don't trust a brand that began selling some $70 noname reels for $300.

If their manufacturing is in China, but the quality control and attention to detail is like what it is with Megabass, then it'd be fine, but they must lower the price of their custom parts, or i won't even pay attention to them when hedgehog ,ktf, slp, studio composite are a thing.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:41 pm

SSS wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:57 pm
I kinda don't trust a brand that began selling some $70 noname reels for $300.
It'll be happening even if you don't believe it, most likely raw product made there and packed in J-a-Pan and it gets a "Made In Japan" sticker and pricetag to boot.

How else are they to stay viable in today's climate?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:24 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:41 pm
SSS wrote:
They made a huge mistake by going away from spools to begin with. Every spool they have ever made still brings a premium. Unfortunately, their absense from that niche for a few years will likely be detrimental to their brand identity.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:40 am

Slazmo wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:41 pm
SSS wrote:
It'll be happening even if you don't believe it, most likely raw product made there and packed in J-a-Pan and it gets a "Made In Japan" sticker and pricetag to boot.

I don't think they can make these parts in China, pack it in Japan, and have Made in Japan written on the package. If they could, Megabass would be doing this on all their higher end items.

And you survive in the current climate by creating quality products. Enthusiats are there (more so than before), so selling a quality product shouldn't be an issue. But that's the key, it has to be quality, not the Zpi Alcance. Look at SLP Works, their cork knobs are only $16/per, but still made in Japan. Companies such as Livre are also making all their stuff in Japan. As a company, you simply need to understand that by creating custom parts, you will never be printing as much money as Shimano or Daiwa, and something tells me the higher ups at ZPI didn't get it, and tried to chase what they're simply incapable of achieving. Now they've learned it the hard way.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:29 am

I sure wouldn't want to enter the spool game right now. Extremely competitive. I have 8 zpi pg/m spools, and while nice...so are my Rays/KKR spools, and for less money. However, the 'cheap' spools are getting more expensive.