21 Luvias Airity vs 18 Exist

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 21 Luvias Airity vs 18 Exist

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:32 am

Canga- wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:22 am
Datbasstho wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:52 am
Canga- wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:19 pm
Datbasstho wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:55 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:56 am
If you’re not stuck on size and are putting it on the Flyssa, I’d highly recommend getting a 4000 size reel. The larger spool diameter will help with casting distance. It will also have a smoother drag since there’s more surface area to contact on the drag washers.
Im trying stay on the lighter side for the reel but it’s still around 7 oz so I’ll take a look at it.

Thanks.
i run a 2500 on my flyssa with no issues with casting distance, i have a 2019 certate on it right now and love it. as for the original question i would probably get the luvias since its brand new, but finding one in stock at the moment might be a challenge!
Nice.
I’m going with the Airity but stuck on either the FC model or the regular one.
There’s a bunch of them on eBay for sale.

Which one do you have?
Also, since you have the Certate, how do the 2 compare?

Thanks
my airity is a fc lt 2000-p, i used it on my P5 baby plugging last season but its on a major craft msx limited 6'5" light this year, love the reel, super smooth and solid while being light at the same time. certates are just as solid, just a little heavier, both are good choices. if i had to choose 1 it would be the airity but its very close.
I already have a Certate. I’m still going to get a Airity but I’m stuck between the FC model and the regular one.

I know the FC model is for lighter applications but how light we talking?
Also, more shallow spool, do you ever find yourself running out of line?

I’m going to be using it for okashira/spark Shads on the Flyssa or drop shotting hazedongs etc on the Whipsnake so I’m trying to figure out if the FC would be better than the regular one.

Thanks again

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:43 am

For what you’re going to use it for I’d prefer the FC. Better drag control for that range of baits, lighter overall weight, and line-roller better suited for light line and light winding.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:07 am

Cranky wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:43 am
For what you’re going to use it for I’d prefer the FC. Better drag control for that range of baits, lighter overall weight, and line-roller better suited for light line and light winding.
I use 15-20 lb braid with a 8 or 10 lb leader.
That ok for the fc?

Thanks!

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:07 pm

Yep, perfect for the FC models especially if you’re fishing relatively lighter leaders like that. I’d recommend the FC 2500S size spool personally and pick whichever gear ratio you prefer. You’re probably borderline with 15-20# for spool capacity and I’d recommend something under 15# when combined with leaders that light anyway. I fish a lot of 0.8 or 0.6 size braid and you’ll typically see that around 6-8# rating in the USDM sizes. You’ll see a much bigger casting benefit than what some ppl reason for going to a 3000 or even 4000 size spool for. USDM 15-20# is way too thick of line for the 1000 or 2000 size spools and in the FC models you’re not really seeing much weight reduction benefit once you get below the 2500 size. It’s mostly a reduction in handle length plus just a tiny amount of spool/rotor weight between the FC 1000/2000/2500 sizes.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:17 pm

smoothness wise I can't really tell any noticeable difference between my Certate LT2500S-XH and Luvias Airity LT2500-XH. but I'd definitely go with Airity for the lighter feel, especially for a light and well balanced rod. I would only prefer Certate for fishing in areas with vegetations.

if throwing lighter baits or more finesse style, FC models are better choice.

and in my experience JDM #0.8 PE is more than enough for open water bass fishing for anything under 5lbs, just make sure you set the drag right.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:45 pm

Cranky wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:07 pm
Yep, perfect for the FC models especially if you’re fishing relatively lighter leaders like that. I’d recommend the FC 2500S size spool personally and pick whichever gear ratio you prefer. You’re probably borderline with 15-20# for spool capacity and I’d recommend something under 15# when combined with leaders that light anyway. I fish a lot of 0.8 or 0.6 size braid and you’ll typically see that around 6-8# rating in the USDM sizes. You’ll see a much bigger casting benefit than what some ppl reason for going to a 3000 or even 4000 size spool for. USDM 15-20# is way too thick of line for the 1000 or 2000 size spools and in the FC models you’re not really seeing much weight reduction benefit once you get below the 2500 size. It’s mostly a reduction in handle length plus just a tiny amount of spool/rotor weight between the FC 1000/2000/2500 sizes.
I’ll do #15 braid and the leader on the Airity, I never thought about that.

I wonder if that was the reason I had a hard time casting okashira/spark Shad’s far with the Certate on the Flyssa.

I think I even made a thread about how the casting wasn’t as far as my Tatula LT2500.

Now back to the Airity, I know it’s better to have the higher speed for drop shot and slower speed for swimbaits so which one would you take to play it safe?

If you had to pick one, which speed will work fine for both applications seeing that I don’t know exactly what setup I want my Airity to be on yet?

Thanks!

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:51 pm

StymoDe wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:17 pm
smoothness wise I can't really tell any noticeable difference between my Certate LT2500S-XH and Luvias Airity LT2500-XH. but I'd definitely go with Airity for the lighter feel, especially for a light and well balanced rod. I would only prefer Certate for fishing in areas with vegetations.

and in my experience JDM #0.8 PE is more than enough for open water bass fishing for anything under 5lbs, just make sure you set the drag right.
Ok so I should go with the FC version for sure.

And I don’t know why but I like the power pro v2 over the Daiwa j braid for some reason. I know I know, most of the people here hate it but for some reason I just find it better for some reason.
This is on baitcasters. I haven’t tried it on a spinning reel though.

The power pro v2 super slick 20lb is 0.009 and I dunno, I just feel safer using that as opposed to the 15lb when fishing for smallies on Lake St Clair where 5+ lbers are always possible.

It’s probably more mental than anything

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:01 am

Datbasstho wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:51 pm
StymoDe wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:17 pm

And I don’t know why but I like the power pro v2 over the Daiwa j braid for some reason. I know I know, most of the people here hate it but for some reason I just find it better for some reason.

The power pro v2 super slick 20lb is 0.009 and I dunno, I just feel safer using that as opposed to the 15lb when fishing for smallies on Lake St Clair where 5+ lbers are always possible.

I would definitely recommend going with the 10lb super slick v2. You can get away with 15lb, but 20lb is just way overkill for what your using it for. The 10lb breaking strength realistically breaks at more like 20lb, it will handle 5+ lb smallies all day long.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:11 am

Datbasstho wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:51 pm

I find it more difficult to slow down a steady retrieve on a swimbait/spybait with a high gear ratio reel than the other way around, so I opted for the 2500 which is 5.2:1.

Highly recommend YGK Upgrade X8 in 16lb (that's PE 0.8). Best braid I've used by far...and that's all you need for any smallmouth in open water. Did I mention how amazingly smooth the Airity's drag is? :lol:

Here's a 5lber on YGK 16lb to 5lb leader - zero issues. I'll bump it up to 6 and 7lb leader in the summer when they're pulling harder.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:28 am

Bbrotz wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:01 am

I would definitely recommend going with the 10lb super slick v2. You can get away with 15lb, but 20lb is just way overkill for what your using it for. The 10lb breaking strength realistically breaks at more like 20lb, it will handle 5+ lb smallies all day long.
Ok awesome, ill try the 10lb. Appreciate the help.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:32 am

reason162 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:11 am

I find it more difficult to slow down a steady retrieve on a swimbait/spybait with a high gear ratio reel than the other way around, so I opted for the 2500 which is 5.2:1.

Highly recommend YGK Upgrade X8 in 16lb (that's PE 0.8). Best braid I've used by far...and that's all you need for any smallmouth in open water. Did I mention how amazingly smooth the Airity's drag is? :lol:

Here's a 5lber on YGK 16lb to 5lb leader - zero issues. I'll bump it up to 6 and 7lb leader in the summer when they're pulling harder.

Nice catch!
I’ve never heard of YGK braid, I’ll check them out.
I’m always up to try new lines.

I’ll be going with the 5.1 gear ratio like you advised.
The problem is finding one now, all the good priced ones on eBay for $460ish are the XH models.

However I found one on a Japanese site called plat.co.jp
I’ve never heard of them but there’s a thread on their reviews here and it’s nothing but good feedback so I’ll order it from there.

This is the one I want right?

Thanks again !

Update * placed the order on plat only to be emailed the reel is out of stock.

The other place I found it on is fishingshop.kiwi but don’t know if it’s actually in stock now.

Anybody use or heard of them before?

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:07 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:32 am
reason162 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:11 am

Nice catch!
I’ve never heard of YGK braid, I’ll check them out.
I’m always up to try new lines.

I’ll be going with the 5.1 gear ratio like you advised.
The problem is finding one now, all the good priced ones on eBay for $460ish are the XH models.

However I found one on a Japanese site called plat.co.jp
I’ve never heard of them but there’s a thread on their reviews here and it’s nothing but good feedback so I’ll order it from there.

This is the one I want right?

Thanks again !

Update * placed the order on plat only to be emailed the reel is out of stock.

The other place I found it on is fishingshop.kiwi but don’t know if it’s actually in stock now.

Anybody use or heard of them before?
Jdmtackleheaven has one in stock. Reputable shop that I’ve ordered from before

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:08 pm

Bbrotz wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:07 pm

Jdmtackleheaven has one in stock. Reputable shop that I’ve ordered from before
Awesome, just ordered it.

Thank you!

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:28 am

Anybody know how long it takes for jdmtackleheaven to process an order?

I placed the order Tuesday night and haven’t heard anything back.

I sent a couple emails with no response.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:28 am

Datbasstho wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:28 am
Anybody know how long it takes for jdmtackleheaven to process an order?

I placed the order Tuesday night and haven’t heard anything back.

I sent a couple emails with no response.
They're a little slower than some of the other Japanese shops. I wouldn't worry about getting your reel though.