21 Luvias Airity vs 18 Exist

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

21 Luvias Airity vs 18 Exist

Post by Datbasstho » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:36 pm

Hey guys,

In need of another spinning reel and want to upgrade.

Currently I have:

Tatula LT 2500 XH which I love

Certate LT 3000 CXH which is amazing but I had trouble launching okashira/spark shads as far as the Tatula LT and I don’t like the extra weight of the reel as much.

Shimano Vanford 2500 HG which I hate because of way the foot is angled, my knuckles always get in the way so this is what I’m replacing.

This new reel is either going on a Flyssa for small swim baits or a Whipsnake for drop shots.

Would you guys buy a new 21 Luvias Airity 2500 or a used 18 Exist 2500 for around the same price?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 21 Luvias Airity vs 18 Exist

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:41 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:36 pm
Hey guys,

Currently I have:

Certate LT 3000 CXH which is amazing but I had trouble launching okashira/spark shads as far as the Tatula LT and I don’t like the extra weight of the reel as much.

Shimano Vanford 2500 HG which I hate because of way the foot is angled, my knuckles always get in the way so this is what I’m replacing.

This new reel is either going on a Flyssa for small swim baits or a Whipsnake for drop shots.

Would you guys buy a new 21 Luvias Airity 2500 or a used 18 Exist 2500 for around the same price?

Thanks!
I have both and they’re similar. I’d say it would depend on how ‘used’ the exist is if you’ve already found both of these for sale. If it’s a minty fresh exist that’s well taken care of, why not? Most users of these reels don’t beat them ragged and respect them. If want to or like to back reel, the switch on the exist is the main feature that separates the two in my mind. The bearing count difference makes little difference to me, performance wise and it’s easy to upgrade on the airity, if you’re chasing smooth. I find the drag similar enough for all practical purposes.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:50 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:41 pm

I have both and they’re similar. I’d say it would depend on how ‘used’ the exist is if you’ve already found both of these for sale. If it’s a minty fresh exist that’s well taken care of, why not? Most users of these reels don’t beat them ragged and respect them. If want to or like to back reel, the switch on the exist is the main feature that separates the two in my mind. The bearing count difference makes little difference to me, performance wise and it’s easy to upgrade on the airity, if you’re chasing smooth. I find the drag similar enough for all practical purposes.
Appreciate the feedback!
Glad I found someone who has both.
I never back reel so not looking for that option.

As for how used the Exist is, I haven’t found one yet but there are a couple sellers available that say they’re in good condition but I would never actually know how good.

Definitely not as good as the new Luvias Airity but what you’re saying is if I can find one in good condition, then go with the Exist?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:04 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:50 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:

Appreciate the feedback!

As for how used the Exist is, I haven’t found one yet but there are a couple sellers available that say they’re in good condition but I would never actually know how good.

Definitely not as good as the new Luvias Airity but what you’re saying is if I can find one in good condition, then go with the Exist?
I’d definitely make sure the exist was in excellent condition. Don’t want to drop 500 on a clunker with no warranty. You can’t beat new if anti reverse makes no difference to you. Those airitys are getting harder to find and they are excellent reels, imo.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:40 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:36 pm
Hey guys,

Currently I have:

Thanks!
My Airity has a smoother drag than my 18 Exist.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:08 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:04 pm
Datbasstho wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:50 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:

Appreciate the feedback!

I’d definitely make sure the exist was in excellent condition. Don’t want to drop 500 on a clunker with no warranty. You can’t beat new if anti reverse makes no difference to you. Those airitys are getting harder to find and they are excellent reels, imo.

Ok sell me one of yours that way I’m safe. :lol:
I’m assuming I have to look in the Japan market for an airity right?

Which model do you have?

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:09 pm

reason162 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:40 pm

My Airity has a smoother drag than my 18 Exist.
Interesting.
I mainly fish smallies so the smoother drag is key for me.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:53 pm

Oh and I forgot to ask, FC or LT on the Airity?

From what I’ve read the FC is Finesse Custom and better for lighter applications which I would be using it for like the okashira/spark shad or hazedong drop shots.

Also, slower retrieve would be ideal for the swimbaits but a faster retrieve for the drop shot to pick up slack?

What would be the best option for me?

Thanks again guys!

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:56 am

If you’re not stuck on size and are putting it on the Flyssa, I’d highly recommend getting a 4000 size reel. The larger spool diameter will help with casting distance. It will also have a smoother drag since there’s more surface area to contact on the drag washers.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:55 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:56 am
If you’re not stuck on size and are putting it on the Flyssa, I’d highly recommend getting a 4000 size reel. The larger spool diameter will help with casting distance. It will also have a smoother drag since there’s more surface area to contact on the drag washers.
Im trying stay on the lighter side for the reel but it’s still around 7 oz so I’ll take a look at it.

Thanks.

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:14 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
In my experience 1000 size reels have the smoothest drags and there is only one felt washer in the drag stack. I personally don’t think more surface area creates a smoother drag, I think it just creates more pounds of drag.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:19 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:55 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Im trying stay on the lighter side for the reel but it’s still around 7 oz so I’ll take a look at it.

Thanks.
i run a 2500 on my flyssa with no issues with casting distance, i have a 2019 certate on it right now and love it. as for the original question i would probably get the luvias since its brand new, but finding one in stock at the moment might be a challenge!

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:14 pm

I've never gotten on board with 4k size spinners for freshwater bass fishing - 2500 and compact body 3k sizes are perfect.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:52 am

Canga- wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:19 pm
Datbasstho wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:

Thanks.
i run a 2500 on my flyssa with no issues with casting distance, i have a 2019 certate on it right now and love it. as for the original question i would probably get the luvias since its brand new, but finding one in stock at the moment might be a challenge!
Nice.
I’m going with the Airity but stuck on either the FC model or the regular one.
There’s a bunch of them on eBay for sale.

Which one do you have?
Also, since you have the Certate, how do the 2 compare?

Thanks

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:22 am

Datbasstho wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:52 am
Canga- wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:19 pm
Datbasstho wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:

Thanks.
Nice.
I’m going with the Airity but stuck on either the FC model or the regular one.
There’s a bunch of them on eBay for sale.

Which one do you have?
Also, since you have the Certate, how do the 2 compare?

Thanks
my airity is a fc lt 2000-p, i used it on my P5 baby plugging last season but its on a major craft msx limited 6'5" light this year, love the reel, super smooth and solid while being light at the same time. certates are just as solid, just a little heavier, both are good choices. if i had to choose 1 it would be the airity but its very close.