Daiwa IMZ HD introduced

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa IMZ HD introduced

Post by Johnny A » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:51 pm

Just saw the video on that video interwebz channel

https://youtu.be/ZxF6Vkeu0bs

Ever Forward

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa IMZ HD introduced

Post by goldrod » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:00 pm

i heard of additon by subtraction but this is subtraction by addition for me.. I dont want to make these decisions when fishing
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:57 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:00 pm
i heard of additon by subtraction but this is subtraction by addition for me.. I dont want to make these decisions when fishing
Yeppers...
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:45 pm

This is like a beta stage reel. I am certain that in the near future they will make one of these without the need of charging the battery or connecting it to a phone. Not about to pay over 1k for a beta reel.

But i do hope that its well received and is not yet another T3. These kind of brakes are a great thing to have, just like DC.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 am

SSS wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:45 pm
This is like a beta stage reel. I am certain that in the near future they will make one of these without the need of charging the battery or connecting it to a phone. Not about to pay over 1k for a beta reel.

But i do hope that its well received and is not yet another T3. These kind of brakes are a great thing to have, just like DC.
I have my doubts about the future "batteryless" version of this reel. I believe Shimano has the rights for self-energizing systems in fishing reels or a better claim on them.

More or less like the dual bearing pinion support that Daiwa was using for decades. Although clearly superior, it took Shimano a long time to use it and I believe it was due to legal rights Daiwa might had.

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:09 am

My wife swung into the local tackle shop here and sent me a pic of the price tag. Street price here is $775 for the IMZ and $350 for the Steez AII. The IMZ had already sold out and the Steez AII is only orderable in 6.3:1 based on stock with Daiwa JP. I’m curious what she was doing in there though…she said she’s getting me the new black SLP Zillion and a rod for Father’s Day but the rod currently isn’t orderable either. I’m hoping it rhymes with Evergreen Black Raven, that would make a beautiful, incredible combo. Back to the topic…I’d like to put my hands on an IMZ soon although I have no intention of buying one currently.

Joe

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:27 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 am
SSS wrote:

I have my doubts about the future "batteryless" version of this reel. I believe Shimano has the rights for self-energizing systems in fishing reels or a better claim on them.

More or less like the dual bearing pinion support that Daiwa was using for decades. Although clearly superior, it took Shimano a long time to use it and I believe it was due to legal rights Daiwa might had.
Self energizing battery from revolutions of an object is not something Shimano has invented. Unless there's proof of them trademarking it, its hard for me to believe that its their own tech now.

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PKN8 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:51 pm

The price is still absurd to me. I get that this is in the higher echelon of Daiwa reels aka not a tatula but if Shimano can pump out $700 or lower "digital" reels, why can't Daiwa?
Always learning...

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:31 pm

SSS wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:27 am
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
SSS wrote:

Self energizing battery from revolutions of an object is not something Shimano has invented. Unless there's proof of them trademarking it, its hard for me to believe that its their own tech now.
Wasn't there a wrist watch that was self-winding by motion?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:33 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:31 pm
SSS wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
SSS wrote:

Yes, automatic watches. There are also auto quartz watches that have the same self winding mechanism that charges a battery, so essentially a DC system, and they've been around for decades prior to shimano releasing their dc module.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:38 pm

SSS wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:33 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:31 pm
SSS wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
SSS wrote:

Yes, automatic watches. There are also auto quartz watches that have the same self winding mechanism that charges a battery, so essentially a DC system, and they've been around for decades prior to shimano releasing their dc module.
funny you should mention watches i have two watches.. one is a citizen and one is a seiko
i love them but hands down the citizen just needs less attention and charging and the charge last longer the exact faces are here. So I say that to say the same is often similar but not the same
Attachments
9bbef58700d78a776b0065fba26c34fa--citizen-eco-perpetual-calendar.jpg
9bbef58700d78a776b0065fba26c34fa--citizen-eco-perpetual-calendar.jpg (53.61 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
seiko.jpg
seiko.jpg (6.27 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:13 am

SSS wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
SSS wrote:

Let me state first my ignorance about patent law and my laziness to go and check it.

Indeed self energizing is an old concept. What is novel here is the implementation and that in my opinion might be the key point.

Just an example: Extracting energy from wind using a turbine. Nothing new there unless you come up with a new design for the turbine blades that is superior to the existent technology. Now you can patent it and other people have either to license it, come up with their own design that must be significantly different or improve on your design significantly so they can challenge the current patent.
This is my understanding of the general idea of patent excluding the expiration of the patent's validity.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:08 pm

SSS wrote:
Seiko automatic's are mechanical winding, solar are capacitor battery and are now starting to fail en mass after a decade or so of natural entropy.

The DC system Shimano employs is one of use and loss, no charge is stored after the cast from all I know.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:25 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:08 pm
SSS wrote:
Seiko automatic's are mechanical winding, solar are capacitor battery and are now starting to fail en mass after a decade or so of natural entropy.

The DC system Shimano employs is one of use and loss, no charge is stored after the cast from all I know.
Entropy is the way of the World. #ChaosRules

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:16 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:08 pm
SSS wrote:

I have a Citizen Eco-Drive gifted to me for my 30th Birthday...that was 22 1/2 years ago...still works pretty much as accurately as when it was new. FWIW.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."