ZPI Spool / Inductor rub

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

ZPI Spool / Inductor rub

Post by 78Staff » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:57 am

So, I have an older ZPI RC series 34mm Spool for Diawa, and I've noticed the inductor rubs on pretty much any reel I tried it in, ie several TD-Z and Steez variants. I also have an older Diawa/RCS Spool that does the same. Then I ran across the below statement on a JDM auction listing...
It can be installed on the current models of Steez and Zillion, but the brake side of the shaft is a little short in the old standard, so if you adjust it with some kind of thin spacer in the bearing hole where the brake side shaft goes, or polish the brake rotor a little, it seems like it can be used without interference. . (If left as is, it will interfere to the extent that the rotor will be scratched)
Of course, there is no problem with old standard models such as TD-Z if you attach it with a pop.
So, it appears I need some sort of spacer installed on the brake side, if I am reading this correctly? Not sure what a "pop" is in in the last sentence.

Any idea what can be used as a spacer, or is it a specific ZPI or Daiwa or other part?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ZPI Spool / Inductor rub

Post by dragon1 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:03 pm

Dang, first I have read of this...sorry to not be of any help, however I'm following this thread to see what remedy is provided.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:11 am

Are you sure it's inductor rub? I have seen the spool not sit centered in certain reels and when the side plate is installed the spool becomes very stiff even with the tension knob removed. It happened with my LIN10. The issue was that the purple spools bearing struck out too far. The removal of a shim under the palm side spool bearing (there are a bunch of shims in there by default) is usually the fix to this issue. The problem is that the spool isn't centered so too much spool shaft sticks out on the palm side and once the side plate is fitted it pinches down on the spool shaft and produces the effect of high spool tension even with the knob is removed. It's a spool shaft length issue due to the spool not being centered. You need to make the palming side plate "wider" by removing spacers under the spool bearing in the side plate. The inductor is not rubbing.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200801-235116_Gallery_copy_677x556.jpg
Screenshot_20200801-235116_Gallery_copy_677x556.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
Screenshot_20200801-235141_Gallery_copy_720x664.jpg
Screenshot_20200801-235141_Gallery_copy_720x664.jpg (30.77 KiB) Viewed 2254 times

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:32 am

Thanks, will check it out! Does seem more likely :)

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:00 pm

Using these spools a bunch, and it is indeed the inductor that is rubbing on the RC spools. From my understand, ZPI made two generations of the same spools. The first gen were specially made for the tdz/tdx. Second gen was made for the millionaire103, but is of course compatible with the tdz. You will see the exact same spools, sold under the same color, but some (gen 2) will be compabile with newer 34mm reels like the steez tw/21 zillion, and some will have the inductor rub inside the magnets on the palming side plate (gen 1). I have tried to make the gen 1 work on my 21 zillion, and you do need to add some shims underneath the bearing on the palming side plate. The spool will spin with the zero adjuster backed off, but the side plate can't be locked, so you can't use it still. This might work on some older models that have the locking screw on the side plate, but since these spools are already compatible with the og steez, i haven't tried it on other reels.

Yours shouldn't be rubbing on any of the tdz. Shouldn't rub on the old steez (pre TW) neither. If it does, you might be missing a shim under the bearing on the palming side plate.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:16 am

SSS wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:00 pm
Yours shouldn't be rubbing on any of the tdz. Shouldn't rub on the old steez (pre TW) neither. If it does, you might be missing a shim under the bearing on the palming side plate.
I believe this is the issue - the bearing had been replaced by a previous user. I have fiddled with the brake side and got it to where it just barely "sings" a bit when casting - much better than before. But the spool is clearly still not "centered" in the frame, so will have to try and find/figure out what I can use to replace the missing shim...

Thanks all

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:02 am

78Staff wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:16 am
SSS wrote:
I believe this is the issue - the bearing had been replaced by a previous user. I have fiddled with the brake side and got it to where it just barely "sings" a bit when casting - much better than before. But the spool is clearly still not "centered" in the frame, so will have to try and find/figure out what I can use to replace the missing shim...

Thanks all
How many shims is there? Normally, there's a meta shim, a thicker plastic one and a felt-like ring.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:32 pm

SSS wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:02 am
78Staff wrote:
SSS wrote:

Thanks all
How many shims is there? Normally, there's a meta shim, a thicker plastic one and a felt-like ring.
That's what I have in there now, brass shim, plastic shim, and felt ring.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:53 pm

78Staff wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:32 pm
SSS wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:02 am
78Staff wrote:
SSS wrote:

Thanks all
That's what I have in there now, brass shim, plastic shim, and felt ring.
And its still rubbing on all the reels you've tried it in? That is not normal. You should never have any issues with the reels they were specially made for, which is the tdx/tdz.