Evergreen Spider Spin

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Evergreen Spider Spin

Post by Cranky » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:32 am

Received the new 611MH Spider Spin and it’s gorgeous and perfect finish as expected from EG. Balances best with a reel in the 175+ gram range.

For anyone interested in the rod, it’s a bit lighter power than I had originally pictured since it’s marketed as a heavy cover rod (shore and “hanging” both). 611MH and it’s almost identical to the action of the NRX852S but it’s one step up in power so basically between a 3 to 3.5 power rod. (I would call the Steez Real Control 68MH a true 4-power in comparison to NRX models).

I wouldn’t consider it a heavy cover rod myself but it’ll be a great performer with some muscle over the typical NRX options a lot of guys are fishing.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Evergreen Spider Spin

Post by Johnny A » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:48 am

That rod has been around for a long time, almost 20 years. I went with the Spin Cobra at the time. Had I known, I would have picked up a Spider Spin

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:42 am

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:09 am

Cranky wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:32 am
Received the new 611MH Spider Spin and it’s gorgeous and perfect finish as expected from EG. Balances best with a reel in the 175+ gram range.

For anyone interested in the rod, it’s a bit lighter power than I had originally pictured since it’s marketed as a heavy cover rod (shore and “hanging” both). 611MH and it’s almost identical to the action of the NRX852S but it’s one step up in power so basically between a 3 to 3.5 power rod. (I would call the Steez Real Control 68MH a true 4-power in comparison to NRX models).

I wouldn’t consider it a heavy cover rod myself but it’ll be a great performer with some muscle over the typical NRX options a lot of guys are fishing.
bravo =D>
can't wait for your feedback on this thing - imae himself claims it is the best power finesse rod of this era

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:57 am

Looking forward to hearing more about how the rod performs. I don’t use spinning rods a lot, but was considering the spider spin as an upgrade to my current all around spinning rod. (First gen addermine) Have you mounted a reel on it yet? Thinking whether a 2500 or 3000 may be a better fit

I think the only thing currently holding me back is the fact that I’ve grown so accustomed to the “grip forward” type handle configuration

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:49 am

The new grip is wicked. With 3 fingers in front of the reel foot my pointer finger rests perfectly on the front metal pipe that acts as a resonator. Very clever design and fit. This is how I hold a spinning rod (and apparently how Imae must too) but your mileage may vary.

Reel size is a personal preference and people hold spinning rods differently too, just depends on what you’re going to use the combo for, line type and sizes etc etc etc, but for rod review purposes I focus on weight. With 160g Exist 2500S it’s very very slightly tip heavy but with a 175g Stella C2500S it’s absolutely perfectly balanced and anything heavier than that is perfect too (205g Exist 4000 and Stella 2500).

For those familiar with St Croix spinning rods I did compare it to a Legend Elite 7’0” MH spinning and it’s almost identical rod power and action.

The rod balance is lightyears better than any NRX or St Croix though!

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:39 am

with the weight of spider spin being 105 gram vs. RC S68MH 84 gram, curious if you feel some noticeable difference between the 2 caused by weight on the water? after playing with a number of higher end gears I have come to conclusion that the weight of a rod doesn't dictate how it fishes, and from what I read, the heavier weight of some EG Kaleido series is a result of making the blank more durable...

also how is the level of sensitivity between the 2?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:50 pm

Cranky wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:49 am
The new grip is wicked. With 3 fingers in front of the reel foot my pointer finger rests perfectly on the front metal pipe that acts as a resonator. Very clever design and fit. This is how I hold a spinning rod (and apparently how Imae must too) but your mileage may vary.

Reel size is a personal preference and people hold spinning rods differently too, just depends on what you’re going to use the combo for, line type and sizes etc etc etc, but for rod review purposes I focus on weight. With 160g Exist 2500S it’s very very slightly tip heavy but with a 175g Stella C2500S it’s absolutely perfectly balanced and anything heavier than that is perfect too (205g Exist 4000 and Stella 2500).

For those familiar with St Croix spinning rods I did compare it to a Legend Elite 7’0” MH spinning and it’s almost identical rod power and action.

The rod balance is lightyears better than any NRX or St Croix though!
"Resonator" on Spin Cobra
IMG_1238.jpeg
IMG_1238.jpeg (42.38 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
Attachments
IMG_1239.jpeg
IMG_1239.jpeg (35.79 KiB) Viewed 5826 times

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:02 pm

I really want this rod. I have been checking all the usual places for evergreen rods for the past several weeks and no one has these in stock. Was wondering if someone here could maybe help me hunt one down? Maybe I am not looking in the right places. I wanted to have one before next spring but with the way the exchange rate with the YEN is going currently I would like to get it ASAP. Any help would be appreciated.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:58 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:02 pm
I really want this rod. I have been checking all the usual places for evergreen rods for the past several weeks and no one has these in stock. Was wondering if someone here could maybe help me hunt one down? Maybe I am not looking in the right places. I wanted to have one before next spring but with the way the exchange rate with the YEN is going currently I would like to get it ASAP. Any help would be appreciated.
https://weed.shop-pro.jp/?pid=178214644

87K Yen

I was going to say you would have to get JDMTH to snipe it, but they show one for sale on thier site @107K yen :shock:

https://jdmtackleheaven.com/products/ev ... 11mh-tg40x

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:53 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:58 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:02 pm
https://weed.shop-pro.jp/?pid=178214644

87K Yen

I was going to say you would have to get JDMTH to snipe it, but they show one for sale on thier site @107K yen :shock:

https://jdmtackleheaven.com/products/ev ... 11mh-tg40x
Yeah I saw that come up on jdm tackle heaven. I used to buy from them all the time but their prices have gotten absolutely ridiculous. On average they are 10-20% more on average than the other popular international japanese retailers. Plus I think their shipping is the highest of anyone as well other than asianportalfishing.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:57 pm

Cranky wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:32 am

Where did you find yours and what did you pay if you dont mind me asking

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:40 pm

After months of checking twice a day backlast finally got one or some in stock by the time I was able to make it to my computer to place the order it was sold out(within 30 minutes) I wonder if these are being bought and resold by bots in japan. Oh well my search continues. :crying: