Conquest 843C MBR vs Poison Ultima PU1610MA (Medium Power)

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Conquest 843C MBR vs Poison Ultima PU1610MA (Medium Power)

Post by BassKat » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:36 am

I'd appreciate your help picking an extremely versatile medium-heavy power (in Loomis terms) between the Conquest 843C MBR & Poison Ultima PU1610MA (Medium Power). In looking at the Ulimas, the medium-heavy 3/8-1oz range seems like a heavy in Loomis terms, so I'm hoping the medium-powered Ultima is the candidate to fish like a Loomis medium-heavy. I'd greatly appreciate those with both rods letting me know if the Poison Ultima PU1610MA (Medium) in fact fishes more like a Loomis medium-heavy, whether the Ultima PU1610MA has enough tip for skipping/pitching (doesn't have to be the best), if the Ultima PU1610MA is versatile overall and what it excels at, and how the two rods compare overall. Thanks for thoughts on this!
My Personal Worst https://photos.app.goo.gl/hHVeZoRFzGt5s4LfA

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Conquest 843C MBR vs Poison Ultima PU1610MA (Medium Power)

Post by Drakestar » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:50 am

The PU 6'10" Medium feels like it fishes heavier than the same rod in lower Shimano rod lines (I've compared it to the 6'10" M Poison Glorious, Poison Adrena and Expride A rods). Part of that is simply how crisp (if not to say stiff) that rod is compared to the lower-segment rods. Once you have a fish on (up to 7lbs largemouth for me), the PU 6'10" M behaves more like a Medium+ rod.

I wouldn't call it a true MH power rod, but it can fish finesse jigs (1/4oz or 5/16oz), 3/8oz t-rigs etc. Versatile isn't a word I would use for the rod: it's so crisp and stiff that it feels like a bottom-contact only rod in my hands. I tried throwing jerkbaits on it (something the 6'10" Expride excels at) and... no. Not on the PU. I've thrown topwater on it and it does okay, but not great. The PU tip doesn't load up as well, and it doesn't easily bend as deeply into the blank, as the lower-segment Shimano rods, which IMO kills it for treble hook applications. Haven't skipped with it, but I'd be wary because of the stuff tip.

I don't have a direct comparison to the Conquest 843 MBR, I only have a GLX 843 MBR (which, but all accounts, is softer and fishes a 1/2 power lower than the Conquests). I think that the GLX 843 feels a small bit heavier than the PU, but it's kind of a wash.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:56 pm

Drakestar, I sure appreciate your time in this. Your thought process is exactly what I needed.

I'm okay with spending 4 - $650 for technique-specific rods, but the only way for me to justify $875 is versatility. Given the stiffness doesn't make it well suited for jerkbaits, topwater, etc, it seems stepping up to the PU170MH and selling out for jigs and bottom contact work would make more sense. I just can't justify $875 for that, especially if the tip wasn't good for pitching. It sounds like that 843C MBR taper on the Conquest will offer more versatility.

Another high-end versatile Shimano option might be the Poison Glorius 1610MH. I'm going to search for discussions on it. If anyone has Poison Glorius 1610MH and Conquest 843C MBR, please let me know any thoughts on comparison.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:47 am

I'd get a Poison Glorious. A vast array of models, with no discernable diffetence in blank performance. I purchased the PU because I wanted the most exquisite lockdown nut ever made (imo of course). I'm speaking of the nut on the 6'3"mh, 7'4"mh-g, and 7'm.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:27 pm

The Ultima does have some additional tech built into some of the blanks, not all models. How much of it is just nonsense literature, and how much is actually beneficial in some way I have no idea. Here's the tech differences not found on the Glorious, and most of it is limited to specific models.
M40X
Spiral X
Nanopitch
Ultimate blank design
Hi power X
I love my Glorious sticks, both the latest generation. I definitely don't feel like I need any more sensitivity feedback. The blanks are incredibly light, crisp yet pliable. I was strongly considering grabbing a medium heavy Ultima, but I worry that the blank will be far more stiff and shut off too fast. I don't necessarily dislike these characteristics, so long as the rod still loads up nicely, similar to my Black Raven Extreme or Glorious. I'd grab the Glorious before the Conquest myself.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:45 pm

Thanks guys...with the PGs shipped in the $575 range and including enough of the halo Shimano tech to feel top tier (carbon handle etc), this looks like a really great option. At the PG's price, I don't have to seek max versatility and can pick a model that speaks to me in a more dialed in way. I'm going to look the PG offerings over closely. Thanks again!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:04 pm

BassKat wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:45 pm
Thanks guys...with the PGs shipped in the $575 range and including enough of the halo Shimano tech to feel top tier (carbon handle etc), this looks like a really great option. At the PG's price, I don't have to seek max versatility and can pick a model that speaks to me in a more dialed in way. I'm going to look the PG offerings over closely. Thanks again!
Shimanos blanks are top notch and some of the best production blanks available imo.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:00 am

The Poison Glorious is indeed more versatile. I have the 6’10” M and it’s a great fluke rod on top of everything else. Can even do 110-size jerkbaits. It loads up more similarly to the Adrena even according to Shimano. I’d give the nod to the Ultima in terms of sensitivity, but it’s plenty sensitive itself.
IMG_6130.gif
IMG_6130.gif (108.87 KiB) Viewed 8745 times

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:25 pm

So you guys are saying the PG is much closer to the PU than the adrena in sensitivity? Might have to give the PG a try if that's the case.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:01 pm

That's a great chart, Drakestar - thanks! That illustrates exactly what your on-the-water experiences ratified. If the Glorius is 90 or so percent as sensitive, I'd choose its apparent edge in taper (for my purposes), forgiveness, and versatility at the same price, not to mention $300 cheaper.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:43 pm

BassKat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:01 pm
That's a great chart, Drakestar - thanks! That illustrates exactly what your on-the-water experiences ratified. If the Glorius is 90 or so percent as sensitive, I'd choose its apparent edge in taper (for my purposes), forgiveness, and versatility at the same price, not to mention $300 cheaper.
Exactly

Shru
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shru » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:02 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:43 pm
BassKat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:01 pm
Exactly
the price of the ultima rods were reduced when the rod sale was going on and ended last monday.
it was not revealed until checkout and after tbe reduction from my e-certificates.
this is what i did and the outcome, i purchased e-certificates on tackle warehouse site at 10 percent off.
the ultima rods are listed for 879.99 w/tax total was going to be around 944.00 for me, so i bought e-certificates to the amount of 950.00 to cover the rod cost, thiis cost me 855.00 so i was happy that i was already saving money on yhe rod this way.
after i did the purchase and went to pay using the e-certificate, it did say total was 944 roughly, but than recieved an e-mail couple hours later saying that i was charged 751.00 tax and all for the rod when the order was confirmed.
so now i have almost 200 bucks worth of certificate left 😁😁😁.
i later found out from a you tube video that ALL rods were on sale but not all were advertised on sale because of map prices tw could not display them on sale.
bottom line, my medium light ultima spin rod costed me almost 200 dollars less than normal price.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:02 am

That's an outstanding deal compounding the 10% off gift cards with the 20% off rod sale!