WHY are there no short enthusiast pitching sticks?!?!

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: WHY are there no short enthusiast pitching sticks?!?!

Post by BassKat » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:14 pm

Thanks Hella...I really shouldn't talk bad about the SM and IM blanks because I'm not sure how they relate to the production rods. I love the GLX and higher NFC stuff. I've been underwhelmed by blanks under GLX as far as hyper bottom-contact-level sensitivity. Hogstciker2 does a lot of custom building and he was speaking highly of Point Blanks too. There's some discussion here viewtopic.php?f=57&t=90218
My Personal Worst https://photos.app.goo.gl/hHVeZoRFzGt5s4LfA

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:50 pm

BassKat wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:29 pm
Where are the fast to extra-fast enthusiast-level heavy pitching sticks less than 7'? Preferably 6'8" to 6'10" for tip-down frog walking with very high sensitivity to detect light jig pickups.

Prior threads mentioned Fuego, Tatula, and Mojo Bass, but I'm looking for far more sensitivity. Also, options like the Legit Wild Side, Mat Bucker Type L, and P5 Super Destroyer were mentioned, but I want a true fast to extra-fast (no fast-moderates).

The Steez Frogger C67MH-FR was suggested, and I thought that was it! Then, I saw it was a medium-heavy. Power-wise, I'm looking for a traditional heavy rated to throw up to 1.5ozs and turn large fish away from heavy cover. I won't use this rod for fishing deep in the slop so I want to stay away from extra-heavys with swimbait-like weight ratings.

There's an Orochi XXX Cover Hacking, but some have said it's a bit light powered. Plus, I'm not sure if it's a "US" fast and it would be a settle-for in the sensitivity department assuming it's similar to XX.

Really, the P5 Super Destroyer would be perfect if it was a US fast action.

It's baffling that such a stick doesn't seem to exist in any line. I'm very afraid to go JDM because typically the actions are fast-moderate at the fastest.

It's been a couple of years since those old short frog rod threads, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts. My gut tells me if someone would make an enthusiast-grade 6'9" Heavy to Heavy+ with a US fast to x-fast action and a pitching tip it would sell extremely well.

i have been waiting to get this thread but couldnt

steez harrier 610
and its two pieces but dont feel like it.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:51 pm

Super Rakki x7
and previous gen megabass super destroyer.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:36 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:50 pm
BassKat wrote:
Where are the fast to extra-fast enthusiast-level heavy pitching sticks less than 7'? Preferably 6'8" to 6'10" for tip-down frog walking with very high sensitivity to detect light jig pickups.

Prior threads mentioned Fuego, Tatula, and Mojo Bass, but I'm looking for far more sensitivity. Also, options like the Legit Wild Side, Mat Bucker Type L, and P5 Super Destroyer were mentioned, but I want a true fast to extra-fast (no fast-moderates).

The Steez Frogger C67MH-FR was suggested, and I thought that was it! Then, I saw it was a medium-heavy. Power-wise, I'm looking for a traditional heavy rated to throw up to 1.5ozs and turn large fish away from heavy cover. I won't use this rod for fishing deep in the slop so I want to stay away from extra-heavys with swimbait-like weight ratings.

There's an Orochi XXX Cover Hacking, but some have said it's a bit light powered. Plus, I'm not sure if it's a "US" fast and it would be a settle-for in the sensitivity department assuming it's similar to XX.

It's baffling that such a stick doesn't seem to exist in any line. I'm very afraid to go JDM because typically the actions are fast-moderate at the fastest.

It's been a couple of years since those old short frog rod threads, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts. My gut tells me if someone would make an enthusiast-grade 6'9" Heavy to Heavy+ with a US fast to x-fast action and a pitching tip it would sell extremely well.

steez harrier 610
I was going to recommend the Harrier 610 but he didn't want the fast to slow taper. It's a true utility stick. I've used it for frogs, flukes, big RAID baits and jigs.
Mine is up for sale but I can't put it here because of issues with pix.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:23 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:36 pm
goldrod wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:50 pm
BassKat wrote:

oh, well back to the lab i go..lol
i was thinking this thread would BLow up .. a lot of options out there but i didnt read the specifics.

steez harrier 610
I was going to recommend the Harrier 610 but he didn't want the fast to slow taper. It's a true utility stick. I've used it for frogs, flukes, big RAID baits and jigs.
Mine is up for sale but I can't put it here because of issues with pix.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:32 pm

Thanks for the great input! I'm looking for fast to x-fast (US) because, although I'll go to braid at the height of frog season, I'll often use something with more stretch (fluoro or Defier Armilo) to throw jigs "and frogs". For frog strikes a long way away with a line that's not optimal, I need to get to the backbone quickly. Also, often in a kayak limiting my ability to cross their eyes on the set.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:06 am

Would the P5 Tachyon Shaft F6.5-67X be a player in this scenario? Sounds like it. Also check out the Raid Japan's Gladiator Anti Frog Rod. I don't have experience with either so I'm just going off of what I read. Just some more options to mill over.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:16 am

It says "regular" taper and I'm looking for at least a US fast. Kudos to Megabass for at least offering some shorter lengths though.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:48 am

xXx super orochi? It's a JDM fast so certainly slower than a Loomis or whatever XF. I like the slower taper for pitching myself. It loads the rod better and seems to shoot a jig well. I like my gen 1 orochi xx PP with its XF taper but really only use that soft tip to pitch weightless 3/8 plastics on a H rod like a 5" senko. For jigs that XF does nothing for me I feel.

If you're on a quest for a sub 7 foot enthusiast XF H rod then this one requires a look imo. Don't let the age fool you, the x7 line is regarded as some of the finest megabass rods even to this day.
https://www.tackletour.com/reviewmbbear ... typex.html

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:51 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:48 am
xXx super orochi? It's a JDM fast so certainly slower than a Loomis or whatever XF. I like the slower taper for pitching myself. It loads the rod better and seems to shoot a jig well. I like my gen 1 orochi xx PP with its XF taper but really only use that soft tip to pitch weightless 3/8 plastics on a H rod like a 5" senko. For jigs that XF does nothing for me I feel.

If you're on a quest for a sub 7 foot enthusiast XF H rod then this one requires a look imo. Don't let the age fool you, the x7 line is regarded as some of the finest megabass rods even to this day.
https://www.tackletour.com/reviewmbbear ... typex.html
That rod is an “xf” because of the solid tip. Solid tip isn’t for everyone, the entire tip is like a L/UL that very quickly goes straight into a MH/H backbone. I personally own a bearing down type x and while I absolutely love it most people i know that have never used a solid tipped rod hate it when i let them try it. We don’t see a whole lot of them in the states for a reason they just aren’t popular here for our fishing style. Feels really wonky when you first try one but after a while you either absolutely hate it or love it with no in between

Also a lot of the x7 lineup is almost unobtanium at this point. I was lucky enough to get mine at mint condition with the sleeve for $230 but you don’t see a whole lot of them coming up anymore.
Attachments
IMG_3761.jpeg
IMG_3761.jpeg (188.58 KiB) Viewed 18624 times
Last edited by HellaBread on Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:57 pm

Thanks! I'm definitely open to older model used sticks at this point. My desire for US fast isn't related to pitchability or sensitivity, but rather getting to the backbone quickly on distance frog hooksets, sometimes without braid.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:07 pm

BassKat wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:57 pm
Thanks! I'm definitely open to older model used sticks at this point. My desire for US fast isn't related to pitchability or sensitivity, but rather getting to the backbone quickly on distance frog hooksets, sometimes without braid.
If you can find one a shimano cumulus 610mh it’s a unicorn stick but it’s a good one 😂

BrettTRay
Angler
Angler

Post by BrettTRay » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:25 pm

The Daiwa black label sg 6’3 heavy is your rod. It’s rated up to 4oz but the most I’d use with this rod is 1.5oz. JDM rods are always overrated for their style of short pitching instead of bombing baits like in the states. It’s a 2 piece rod but don’t let that turn you away, I’ve caught a 15lb striper on this rod in current. I pretty much use this rod now exclusively for 1oz walking baits and it is flat out awesome for that.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:03 pm

Thanks, Brett...although I'd like to avoid swimbait level top-end weights, at least this stick is sub-7'. Thanks for letting me know about this option!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:29 pm

There's an Evergreen Grand Cobra GT for sale on BBC... hopefully it's acceptable for me to post the link here.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1247390
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."