Tuning Isuzu reel

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tuning Isuzu reel

Post by ras » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 am

Hello,

I came across the recently released Isuzu BC441SSS and ordered one. I always wanted to try a classic round reel but did not want to hunt for a left-handed Ambassadeur in 1500 or 2500 size, for various reasons. The new Isuzu model appears to be aimed at mountain stream fishing, according to the website, but it also seems to need upgrades for those purposes. I plan to get the Tri-Angle Tough Light spool for it and, hopefully, an aftermarket line guide set from the same maker. I plan to use the reel with 5 g heavy sinking minnows. Does anything else need attention/ modification? What type of oil is best used for the spool/ line guide? Any additional advice from the connoisseurs of round reels, of which I know there are few on this forum, would be appreciated.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Tuning Isuzu reel

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:02 pm

Awesome pickup. There are considerable upgrades to the 441 in comparison to the 421, I'm sure you have read about them. I've got the 421 and have upgraded everything except the line guide. They sold out quickly and Try-Angle says they are not sure when they will make more. Best to set an email notification of when they get back in stock at HH.I've done, the handle, double BB cog, spool bearings, and toughlight spool. I'll be honest, I really struggled with mine to get it to function as I would have expected. Turns out, it was tuner error. I had one of the bearing retainers in cockeyed and I believe it was rubbing. There was also some issue with the Avail spool that was included in the purchase (this was a wide spread problem) . Additionally, I never could get consistancy with the toughlight spool and the brake that comes with it. I actually just sorted all that out after months. I run the avail mag brake with the toughlight spool and it works excellent. To be honest, the reel is spectacular now. Casts as well as my fully tuned Abu. Had it out today for a full test run and managed to catch a Virginia Tiger Trout! That's a 25mm 2.5 gram balsa I am using, casts like a bullet.
I'm sure you will enjoy yours. I'd suggest the double bb cog (if it's not standard now), the lineguide and the toughlight spool. Stock bearings should be great, just flush and then run with a small drop of very light oil. I use IOS 007.
IMG_0391 (1).jpg
IMG_0391 (1).jpg (66.76 KiB) Viewed 897 times

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:58 pm

Thanks, Aquaftm45. I really appreciate your notes. I'll add the Avail brake block to the list. You're right, the line guide set seems to be sold out everywhere. I might just get the Try-Angle spool and the cogwheel set and the Avail brake block for now. I read a few comments on Japanese sites that the Try-Angle spool seems to work better than the Avail option.

Any additional advice is appreciated.

PS. Gorgeous catch, I've been eyeing those bags for photography for a while.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:04 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:02 pm
Awesome pickup. There are considerable upgrades to the 441 in comparison to the 421, I'm sure you have read about them. I've got the 421 and have upgraded everything except the line guide. They sold out quickly and Try-Angle says they are not sure when they will make more. Best to set an email notification of when they get back in stock at HH.I've done, the handle, double BB cog, spool bearings, and toughlight spool. I'll be honest, I really struggled with mine to get it to function as I would have expected. Turns out, it was tuner error. I had one of the bearing retainers in cockeyed and I believe it was rubbing. There was also some issue with the Avail spool that was included in the purchase (this was a wide spread problem) . Additionally, I never could get consistancy with the toughlight spool and the brake that comes with it. I actually just sorted all that out after months. I run the avail mag brake with the toughlight spool and it works excellent. To be honest, the reel is spectacular now. Casts as well as my fully tuned Abu. Had it out today for a full test run and managed to catch a Virginia Tiger Trout! That's a 25mm 2.5 gram balsa I am using, casts like a bullet.
I'm sure you will enjoy yours. I'd suggest the double bb cog (if it's not standard now), the lineguide and the toughlight spool. Stock bearings should be great, just flush and then run with a small drop of very light oil. I use IOS 007. IMG_0391 (1).jpg

That swim bait seems awfully big for that rod :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:22 pm

Pretty sure you got a fish in that bag. My version would be a bream in a Wal-Mart bag.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:35 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:04 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
I'm sure you will enjoy yours. I'd suggest the double bb cog (if it's not standard now), the lineguide and the toughlight spool. Stock bearings should be great, just flush and then run with a small drop of very light oil. I use IOS 007. IMG_0391 (1).jpg

:lol: :lol: It's all in the swing!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:08 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:04 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:

ROTFLMAO. :lol: :laugh1:
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

bulldog1935
Angler
Angler

Post by bulldog1935 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:59 am

Inaugural post for me - only disappointed that I can't upload my normal avatar, which is the lacquer foil on my Pflueger Golden West (c. 1915 Leonard Fairy Catskill and Rio Chama brown)

to our OP - ooh, Ooh, OOH - congratulations on scoring BC441SSS. Kudos.
Regarding design improvements, they actually backed this reel up to '20 SSS design, increased drive ratio, alloy parts remove 1/2 oz (shares w/ '21 Smith Plugger), and the one design improvement is better placement of the IAR roller bearing that doesn't infringe on centrifugal brake and spool capacity, letting this reel use TryAngle spool - different than on previous 530X Chimera, 420 Pescador, and Pagani 100. Still, all changes that make the reel acceptable to a wider audience.
Here's my '20 BC420SSS
Image Image

Yes, I'm a threadline braid junkie, and made the TryAngle mods on my 4 isuzu reels, but I go back to the '70s fishing weightless on Ambassadeur. If you have never cast one of these with stock spool, a pair of centrifugal blocks, light mono and 100% thumb, you owe it to yourself. It's a rush, a feeling of power, and my first back-acre trial was casting 1/8 oz beyond 100' on 5'2" 1-power rod - comparable result to a new Steez out of the box.
The swap to TryAngle + PE#1 result was just nutso - synchro reels aren't supposed to do this, and the result compares to Steez with Roro-X spool and PE#0.8.

They're not just for trout anymore - my '21 Plugger w/ TryAngle spool, PE#1, on Smith FO-56 S-glass is go-to for me in river kayak, fisshes killer finesse lures, and the rod has butt power to keep big bass out of watercress stalks and from going under the boat.
ImageImage

I'll save my Ambassadeur mods for another time, but my mid-frame Isuzu reels are on topic, and they're aimed at inshore.
To show you just how nuts you can take this round reel + braid thing, my Headhunters BC620SSS is matched with Glaflex 1603 S-glass on Bright River 2-hand grip (6'4" OL) for skip-casting 1/8-oz bunny shrimp under mangroves to redfish backs.
Stacked spool w/ PE#1.2 working line.

and my BC720SSS is on 6' Headhunters 1800 (Tenyru IM6) for drift-fishing TSL Grasswalker on the flats.
Stacked spool w/ PE#1.5 working line.

Both my mid-frame Isuzus have the Try-Angle dual-BB level-wind pawl, and the LW rider literally bounces through the direction change at each end of the worm gear.
Image Image
Last edited by bulldog1935 on Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:44 pm

bulldog1935 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:59 am
Inaugural post for me - only disappointed that I can't upload my normal avatar, which is the lacquer foil on my Pflueger Golden West (c. 1915 Leonard Fairy Catskill and Rio Chama brown)

to our OP - ooh, Ooh, OOH - congratulations on scoring BC441SSS. Kudos.
Regarding design improvements, they actually backed this reel up to '20 SSS design, increased drive ratio, alloy parts remove 1/2 oz (shares w/ '21 Smith Plugger), and the one design improvement is better placement of the IAR roller bearing that doesn't infringe on centrifugal brake and spool capacity, letting this reel use TryAngle spool - different than on previous 530X Chimera, 420 Piscator, and Pagani 100. Still, all changes that make the reel acceptable to a wider audience.
Here's my '20 BC420SSS
Image Image

Yes, I'm a threadline braid junkie, and made the TryAngle mods on my 4 isuzu reels, but I go back to the '70s fishing weightless on Ambassadeur. If you have never cast one of these with stock spool, a pair of centrifugal blocks, light mono and 100% thumb, you owe it to yourself. It's a rush, a feeling of power, and my first back-acre trial was casting 1/8 oz beyond 100' on 5'2" 1-power rod - comparable result to a new Steez out of the box.
The swap to TryAngle + PE#1 result was just nutso - synchro reels aren't supposed to do this, and the result compares to Steez with Roro-X spool and PE#0.8.

They're not just for trout anymore - my '21 Plugger w/ TryAngle spool, PE#1, on Smith FO-56 S-glass is go-to for me in river kayak, fisshes killer finesse lures, and the rod has butt power to keep big bass out of watercress stalks and from going under the boat.
ImageImage

I'll save my Ambassadeur mods for another time, but my mid-frame Isuzu reels are on topic, and they're aimed at inshore.
To show you just how nuts you can take this round reel + braid thing, my Headhunters BC620SSS is matched with Glaflex 1603 S-glass on Bright River 2-hand grip (6'4" OL) for skip-casting 1/8-oz bunny shrimp under mangroves to redfish backs.
Stacked spool w/ PE#1.2 working line.

and my BC720SSS is on 6' Headhunters 1800 (Tenyru IM6) for drift-fishing TSL Grasswalker on the flats.
Stacked spool w/ PE#1.5 working line.

Both my mid-frame Isuzus have the Try-Angle dual-BB level-wind pawl, and the LW rider literally bounces through the direction change at each end of the worm gear.
Image Image
=D> =D> That is a whole bunch of magic right there! Saltwater be damned! Thanks for telling us about your arsenal, hope to hear more.

bulldog1935
Angler
Angler

Post by bulldog1935 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:22 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:44 pm
=D> =D> That is a whole bunch of magic right there! Saltwater be damned! Thanks for telling us about your arsenal, hope to hear more.
Thanks for the welcome.
I will show my favorite Ambassadeur result, '77 4500C with full-BB LW race, Avail AMB4530R-EF spool.
I took it a step up with full-zirconia bearing swap in the LW upgrades, and full silicon-nitride spool bearings.
Avail internal mag, no centrifugal blocks on this one. Setting the internal mag to avoid mid-cast backlash (setting at 2 g for my target 3 g) was a bit tricky, because the tiny spool flange required each individual magnet to be turned inward about 1-1/8 turn.
Image Image

Fishing this with Varivas Si-X PE#1 on Smith 66SPX, two-hand grip.

At last month new moon, took this combo to fish dock nite-lites along the barge navigation channel, Arroyo Colorado, in the far-S Texas tropics.
The fish come to you all night - sit on the dock, chat, smoke cigars, watch for fish sign - somebody stands up, catches a fish, and sits back down. Imitating tiny winter bait - balls of glass minnows are drawn to the sodium lamps on the docks that line the barge channel.
Japanese rods tend to perform well even below their low-end rating. It was casting 3-g metal microjigs to surface slashes 150' out - yes, prevailing wind was behind me.

You can get an Ambassadeur very close, but still not quite Isuzu bench result.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:19 am

bulldog1935 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:22 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:44 pm
Thanks for the welcome.
I will show my favorite Ambassadeur result, '77 4500C with full-BB LW race, Avail AMB4530R-EF spool.
I took it a step up with full-zirconia bearing swap in the LW upgrades, and full silicon-nitride spool bearings.
Avail internal mag, no centrifugal blocks on this one. Setting the internal mag to avoid mid-cast backlash (setting at 2 g for my target 3 g) was a bit tricky, because the tiny spool flange required each individual magnet to be turned inward about 1-1/8 turn.
Image Image

Fishing this with Varivas Si-X PE#1 on Smith 66SPX, two-hand grip.

At last month new moon, took this combo to fish dock nite-lites along the barge navigation channel, Arroyo Colorado, in the far-S Texas tropics.
The fish come to you all night - sit on the dock, chat, smoke cigars, watch for fish sign - somebody stands up, catches a fish, and sits back down. Imitating tiny winter bait - balls of glass minnows are drawn to the sodium lamps on the docks that line the barge channel.
Japanese rods tend to perform well even below their low-end rating. It was casting 3-g metal microjigs to surface slashes 150' out - yes, prevailing wind was behind me.

You can get an Ambassadeur very close, but still not quite Isuzu bench result.
Welcome to TT Ron! Nice seeing you post here and your collection of awesome reels.

bulldog1935
Angler
Angler

Post by bulldog1935 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:30 am

Thank you Robert, I believe more people here think like we do than on some other forums.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:03 pm

Thanks to all for posting and keep 'em coming please. I received my Isuzu, and it's a beauty. Any idea when the Try-Angle line guides for the 400 size are going to become available again? Was there only one production run in the past or multiple?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:26 pm

ras wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:03 pm
Thanks to all for posting and keep 'em coming please. I received my Isuzu, and it's a beauty. Any idea when the Try-Angle line guides for the 400 size are going to become available again? Was there only one production run in the past or multiple?
I DM'd Try-Angle on Insta and they responded that they don't have a set date yet. I haven't even seen any come up on Yahoo Auction in the past couple of months.

bulldog1935
Angler
Angler

Post by bulldog1935 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:27 pm

Hi ras,
I have 2 reels that are without them, too - both small frame, 420 spool.

When Light Friction Line Guide Set are available again, I will buy them for my two small-frame reels.
I'm not sure I miss them on these reels, but won't know until I try them.
As I suggested, even before you swap in TryAngle spool, load some small mono on the stock spool and cast with 100% thumb, just for grins.

When you do get around to the TryAngle spool, set the mag by casting something smaller than your light-end target for the reel.
But even before you line it, you set the starting point on the empty spool, free-spooling it until you can register a difference in the spin duration because of the mag proximity - that's where you begin the mag stand-off before you line the spool.

I have the BB LW guides on my 2 medium-frame reels, and I think they're more important here.
The 620 and 720 TryAngle braid spools are heavier and deeper.

As long as I'm here, random Isuzu porn.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImage

oops, how'd that get in there? - my 4600C3 Express frogger, which I call my Black Cherry