The Hedgehog Chronicles

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The Hedgehog Chronicles

Post by GamblerHydra » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:54 pm

I am sure everyone’s has read Cal’s review with fear. Maybe you have read about me breaking a hedgehog stinger tip before too. I broke mine while under a load and for some stupid reason grabbed my tip. I have since repaired the tip and have used it as a beater for the past year and a half. I have pushed it to all limits since, and it has never failed again.

Then there is a guy in New Jersey, (not JA) that has broken 2 Hogs. Of course that gentleman was using braid and was theoretically outside the line recommendation. The rumor goes that first rod was warranted 100%, but the second was not at all.

Fast forward to my last big trip to the White River for some trout and smallie fishing. The trip showed a different side of a hedgehog rod and the stinger.

For anybody that has ever fished in moving water you know how hard boat positioning can be. You’re constantly cranking and moving. You’re also frequently tilting the engine out of the water as you navigate rapids and shallow water.

I am navigating some rapids and had one of my hogs hanging out the back. With a river boat you’re sitting on the rear of the boat with the engine throttle to your left. You manually tilt the engine out of the water if it gets to shallow to run.

So I have tilted the engine out and unknown to me a hog had slipped under the motor between the brackets. I adjust the engine back down and the weight of the 15 hp Merc falls on the Hog between guide and the locking head. Now this was a gentle movement, but I was sure the weight did some damage. I bring the motor back and up and free it. I inspect it and I do have a battle scar. However, no big visual damage. Nevertheless, I am stressing.

That night I am giving the Hog a real thorough inspection. However, I am so absorbed I do not realize I am under the ceiling fan. My mom walks in and turns on the ceiling fan. The stinger tip just takes a beating. I am screaming and manage to get the Hog away. I begin inspecting the tip now. I have a small loss of sliver paint from one of the blows.

At this point I have the butt in the floor and am inspecting the tip with my hands. In runs my little niece. She puts her foot and weight near the reel seat while the tip is firmly in my right hand. The rods bends double in the opposite direction. The stinger tip once again is tested to the limit. Once again I get lucky because there appears to be no damage. There are no breaks or hairline cracks apparent. I am still worried however.

Last day out everything is gong great. I am catching a lot of fish and the Hog is really shining, The water is really moving. I get hung up and motor over to get it lose. I realize I am actually hung up about 10 yards up, and it was just wrapped around a rock. So I hit the throttle and manage to run over my line. Now I have the rod in my right hand
And it gets rammed backwards as the line wraps around the prop. The rod is doubled over like the old UGLY STICK commercials. I manage to come to me senses and shut down the engine with my heart racing. I had all put chalked up the rod to breaking, but the Hedge Hog and its fragile stinger tip had a different idea. For those of you wondering about the abrasion resistance of 5 lb Sunline Shooter Metan never fear. The line is just flat out tough.

So I am really worried at this point that the Hog has just taken to much punishment and will surely fail me soon. That night I am drifting down river and working a Countdown CD7 for big browns. I had worked the bait to the boat when a brown almost breaks my arm. Once again the shooter and the Hog takes the impact. The rod doubles and the fight is on. Minutes later I catch and release a 6-7 lb brown trout. A great way to end the trip and solidify the Hedgehog is still alive and kicking.

GH

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: The Hedgehog Chronicles

Post by ShoreBound » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:55 am

That's what I'd call a real torture test, GH :lol:

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:44 am

GH... That rod was just not meant to break! That's amazing.

The ceiling fan test? Did that with a rod...ONCE! (Won't be doing that again, leastways not with THAT particular rod... :oops: )

The motor-tilt thing? BTDT! :roll:

I've even subjected a rod the tried and true "car door test" :P

I'm just curious what kind of tests the US Postal Service uses to test 7' heavy cardboard mailing tubes? They snapped that sucker clean in HALF! :evil:

Gadget

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:05 am

GH,

Thanks for your post. That's one more rod I have to consider for my light caster :roll: . Oh well! its's good to have choices.

Mike

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:16 am

Gr8 Hog Tale GH, thanks. Was this the Hog with the repaired tip that you tortured? I wonder if your repair might have corrected something fragile about the "stock" Stinger tip? Please elaborate on how you repaired your broken Stinger tip.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:30 am

mhood wrote:Gr8 Hog Tale GH, thanks. Was this the Hog with the repaired tip that you tortured? I wonder if your repair might have corrected something fragile about the "stock" Stinger tip? Please elaborate on how you repaired your broken Stinger tip.
No.... the one I repaired was on the F5ST-60XS BlackOut and I have many more stories about the abuse it has taken since it became a beater. It lost only about a half inch of the tip. It was a clean break and real easy to put another fuji cermet gold tip top on it. However, quite an expensive little tip.

The rod in the post was a F3ST-63X Hedgehog . 8-)

However, you may be on to something. The F5ST-60XS Hedgehog stinger section is about a quarter inch longer than on my F3ST-63X Hedgehog even since it has been shortened. :lol: :idea: Since the F3ST-63X Hedgehog has less stinger I am sure that makes it a little stronger.
Last edited by GamblerHydra on Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:48 am

OK...you're getting to me here. I want to toss finesse plastics and 1/8 - 1/4 oz jigs. MBUSA talks in terms of short bites on small cranks and such. Will the Hog handle very light little T-rigs, grubs and split shot rigs?

I did catch a chunk on the CR722 last night with a 1/16oz bullet pegged to a 4" black tube but was very disappointed that the CR722 will not load up on that light a weight. I assume the Stinger tip would have no problems with 1/8 oz...right? Would 10# Power Pro exceed the line weight limits of the Hog?

I sure appreciate your help. :D
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:16 pm

mhood wrote:OK...you're getting to me here. I want to toss finesse plastics and 1/8 - 1/4 oz jigs. MBUSA talks in terms of short bites on small cranks and such. Will the Hog handle very light little T-rigs, grubs and split shot rigs?

I did catch a chunk on the CR722 last night with a 1/16oz bullet pegged to a 4" black tube but was very disappointed that the CR722 will not load up on that light a weight. I assume the Stinger tip would have no problems with 1/8 oz...right? Would 10# Power Pro exceed the line weight limits of the Hog?

I sure appreciate your help. :D
MB USA just translated what they could I suspect on most of their recommendations. The rod was equally designed for lite t-rigs, small jigs and you can translate as such off the japan site. I have seen some sites like Jun's old site that even recommended it for drop shot as well jerk baits, small cranks(<1/4) . It is really just a multi purpose finesse stick with the 3 power cayones. The stinger tip with the 3 backbone makes it ideal for lite plastics and power finesse. I have used it with lite plastics with 1/16oz jighead and 4 inch finesse worms with good success. A matter of fact in cold front situations when the bite shuts down , or in a panic situation it is the rod I turn to. It is a real comfortable rod to fish with as well. The size of the coke bottle handle just fits in your hand perfectly with a presso, or a pixy. It also is not so long that you can not make pinpoint accurate cast. It makes the rod mobile, as well as equally functional with different species. It is a phenomenal rainbow/brown/smallie small river/stream stick.

I think the 2-10 power pro would be fine. The rod is rated up to 16lb. As the story goes the guy in NJ was using 8-30 .

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:48 pm

OK...you have officially convinced me. I'm saving the mad money for my next MB purchase. Thank you *very* much GH! :D
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

SoCal_LMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SoCal_LMB » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:05 pm

hey GH,
me and mhood have been waiting for you to post your "Hog Tales". thanks for taking the time to post 'em up. :big grin: sounds more like a cat with 9 lives than a Hog IMO :lol: i am still really nervous about the stinger tips though. it seems that most owners who fish them alot end up breaking them. i have also read about them breaking in various Japanese blogs as well so i just feel that the are too fragile. i do bet they fish nice though. i just know i will end up breaking one if i get one so i think i'll wait and see what the next generation or 2 of stinger tip technology brings

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:17 pm

SoCal, my take is the stronger the backbone, the weaker the Stinger tip (or the more abrupt the change in power from the tip to the backbone). I'm specifically interested only in the F3ST-63X Hedgehog and that was the survivor GH was describing.

I'm going to take a chance because I'm not a tournament fisherman (ever) and the rod sounds absolutely perfect for my application. I've gambled more than $376 and lost before, so why not? I sure hope you're not saying "I told you so Marc." a year from now. :lol:

I'll keep ya'll posted...
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:23 pm

mhood wrote: I've gambled more than $376 and lost before, so why not?
:OO [-o< :worried:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:15 pm

Cal wrote:
Oh...and you haven't!?!?!? :big grin:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:11 pm

mhood wrote:
Cal wrote:
Oh...and you haven't!?!?!? :big grin:
If my F3ST-63X Hedgehog broke tomorrow I would buy another one. It has given me a lifetime of memories in the last few years.

MH....I wish you used a spinning reel I would send you my F5ST-60XS BlackOut out on a loan to see the amount of damage that has been inflicted upon it. :lol: A few times I have thought about just selling it for like $100 bucks. However, I just can not bring myself to do it.

The F3ST-63X use to be a $400 plus rod. I guess all the fear has dragged the price down.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:26 pm

I have used both the F4st-61XS and the F5st-60XS and even though I sold both of them, it was my personal hooksetting style, as in crossing their eyes, that put them on the auction block. It must be stated, this occurred early in my MB experience. 3+ years later, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the HedgeHog with confidence it could handle my style of fishing.
On another note, I'm working on an "action matrix" where prospective purchasers can get an idea.