8/23/07--New bait, hot weather--5 lber

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

8/23/07--New bait, hot weather--5 lber

Post by Lightninrod » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:02 pm

I bought some Jackall lures from ExtremeLures.com and they came in yesterday. One of them was the TN70, a rat-l-trap type bait. It has a very tight wiggle and some great colors.

I threw it yesterday and had a big(?) one on for a few seconds but I lost her to a poor hookup. I did catch several keepers off of it too. Went back to the same pond today and fished it from 11:30 AM to 2 PM, in the heat(100 F) of the day and I fished it FAST.

I'm on the bank, about 20' from the water and I'm ripping it back to me. As the TN70 gets near the bank, in about 2' of water, this 5 lber races in and grabs it right in front of me. She ran with it but I got her back in a few seconds. Yes, Bass will bite in the heat of a hot summer and they will chase a fast running bait if the bait has what it takes. Caught 3 dinks and a 2 lber off it too today.

Click directly on the pics for clearer pics:

Jackall TN70

5 lbs, 15 ozs--24"

Again

2 lber

Dan

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 8/23/07--New bait, hot weather--5 lber

Post by Tigerbass » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:28 pm

Nice fish Dan!! I bought three Jackall lures a couple of weeks ago. Got the squadminnow, shallow aragon, and a crankbait (DD cherry I believe). I looked at the TN70 and thought about getting one but decided not to, might have to go back and pick one up!

Looks like you threw the helium today instead of the megabass?

Bait
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bait » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:00 pm

Dan-

Nice catch! But could you please put that gun away (last picture)!! :)
Oh, and do you mind putting me in your will? I would sure hate to see all of your tackle go to waste or even worse...get sold by your wife for what you told her you bought it for :shock: !!

Retirement must be nice...to bad I've only got about 30 years to go.

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:32 pm

Thanks y'all. 8-)

Tb: I almost always use a Helium. Just happened to have the TN70 on it today. Those baits are very good!

Bait: No matter how long I look at that pic, I have no idea where the "gun" is :| ? She's going to have a big garage sale if I pass away before she does. ;)

Dan

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:22 pm

in the vernacular, "gun" = "arm".

nice fish, btw.

arbogastjunkie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by arbogastjunkie » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:56 pm

Nice fish Dan!!

kingsriverrat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kingsriverrat » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:58 pm

That looks like the 'ghost minnow' color. That right? Also looks like the sky was clear. How would you describe the water color/clarity? Depth?

I've caught many, many, fish on flat, lipless cranks (Rat-L-Traps, etc.); but I don't know that I've ever had a 5 lber 'chase' after one on a summer dog day. Wow.

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:28 am

Got it brokeneye and thanks Bait...I think? :D

krr: Yes, it was the GM color but I also had a big(?) one on the Aurora Black in that same area the day before but I didn't get a good hookup and she got off after making some large lunges near the surface :oops: .

The water was clear. The depth was only about 6'(have been in that pond only once a few weeks ago in my little boat with the depth finder so I'm going by my memory...) way out at the beginning of the retrieve and on that side of the pond, the bottom slopes upward rather rapidly so the majority of the retrieve, that bait was in very shallow water. The weather was sunny, hot, with a few clouds so she must have had a good view of the bait and she was in just a foot or two of water and I saw her suck the bait in. 8-) D/k when she started after it?

I have rarely thrown a trap type bait in the past as most of the time, I'm in 'woody' water but man, that bait has changed my mind.

Dan

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:58 am

Dan,

:clap:

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle