White Sea Bass from the Surf

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
baluga
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

White Sea Bass from the Surf

Post by baluga » Sun May 20, 2012 2:43 am

Southern California Report:

The Condition:

Incoming tide, cloudy, water is a tad murky with 2 – 3 ft of swell and it looks just right.

The Lure:

Beaten up LC FM 110 comes out with 3 broken hooks after the fight, one in the tail and two in the front plus bent hook considering it was already 2X owner hooks. Good thing the middle hook kept it from unbuttoning.

The Story:

Got to the sand around 7 am and checked out the water to see what lures would suit the condition. It looks good but a tad shallow so I started with Magic Swimmer 95. No hits for half an hour then I bump into another guy whose fishing LC and he said he got one short halibut. I replied; that's good they are around. I kept going North and He goes the other direction. After another 30 Minutes I switch to LC FM110 and got a shorty after half an hour. I was thinking, this must be what the other guy caught. After releasing the short halibut, I continued casting on the same spot until I got a thump! :shock: Set the hook and it gave me a couple of head shakes, I said to myself..hmmnn this could the right kind, a halibut but could be a little bit under 22", a short one since it's not giving a fight. Gave it a couple of jerk to secure the hook and it started peeling of drag and I was :shock: what! it could be a monster Halibut. I was grinning at this point since it keeps on giving me a good heavy fight with that familiar head shake. After 10 minutes of fight and it's not still giving up. Then my drag started peeling some more..It took out 70 yards and after another 10 minutes I said to myself this could be a foul hooked shovel nose shark but at any rate I want to get my lure back. I started putting some more drags to gain some line before I fish get tangled to the guys soaking bait 40 yards to my right. Finally I started gaining line but it still putting in some more good fight. I got him pretty close but still could not see colors until...

OH MY....

The Gear:

Conquest 100 on 6’6” Phenix UMBX Heavy with 20# PP S8S Braid plus #15 FC Leader.

The Prize:

The Length:

The Lucky Guy:.... :mrgreen:
Last edited by baluga on Tue May 22, 2012 11:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: White Sea Bass from the Surf

Post by l2yan » Sun May 20, 2012 9:10 am

Wow bro, congrats!! I can't wait to catch one of those!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

ens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ens » Sun May 20, 2012 6:05 pm

Who needs to go to Catalina when you can catch them from shore.....

QuitLookinAtMyItos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by QuitLookinAtMyItos » Sun May 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Congrats! I'm glad the reel has served you well! Cheers to many more of these great catches! ;)
JDM quality is unsurpassed. Period.

even26
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by even26 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:52 pm

whata pig from shore...

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Mon May 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Great story & a great fish. Congrats.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Mon May 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Very nice! Great story. =D>

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Mon May 21, 2012 8:32 pm

Great way to unfold the story =D>

Tm Customs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tm Customs » Mon May 21, 2012 10:46 pm

Great catch that dosent happen too often!
Please check out my YouTube Videos Tmcustoms87

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:13 am

thats crazy on a 6'6" rod. I wouldnt imagine anything that large would be in reach of a cast without at least a 9' rod. Very nice job.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed May 23, 2012 6:56 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:thats crazy on a 6'6" rod. I wouldnt imagine anything that large would be in reach of a cast without at least a 9' rod. Very nice job.
I caught a 38" kingfish in the surf 2 years ago in Gulf Shores, Alabama. :shock: Glad I had 40# braid in instead of 10# mono! He was following a school of smaller spanish mackerel that had a ball of bait hemmed up in a cut. I cast out a little past the school and he slammed the X-Rap as quick as it hit the water. Sometimes, you can find sardines or pinfish in the curls. And where there's bait.... :big grin:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.