Falcon Lake & A Tackle Workout...

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Falcon Lake & A Tackle Workout...

Post by bronzefly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:06 pm

I recently made a trip to Falcon Lake with the intention of having a great time, catching a few fish, and giving some tackle a heavy duty workout in some nasty cover. I had no illusions that I'd repeat the one day 5 10lb plus fish 53lb bag from a year ago, but prepared and hoped for a few quality bites. My combo pairings were as follows:

Megabass F10-76XBJ Super Red Demon/Daiwa Z200HL/70lb Daiwa Samurai Braid
Megabass F6.5-74XBJ Power Versatile/Daiwa Z200HL/55lb Daiwa Samurai Braid
Megabass F5-76X Nautilus/Megabass IS71HL/55lb Daiwa Samurai Braid
Megabass F6-72X4 Destruction/Original Deps Zillion/55lb Daiwa Samurai Braid
Evergreen Super Stallion/Daiwa Z200HL/55lb Daiwa Samurai Braid
Megabass F6-68X4 Cover Hacking/TD-Z 103ML Type R+/30lb Daiwa Samurai Braid

These combos may seem like overkill, but if you've ever been on Falcon and know what lurks there, how powerful these fish really are, and the likelihood that they may get off in all the nasty heavy cover there, it might make more sense. After last year, I wanted to be prepared to do battle with big fish around heavy cover!

The Super Red Demon was used for flipping, pitching, and casting 3/4 to 1oz jigs with oversized trailers from shallow, extremely heavy cover (standing timber, etc.) to 30' rocky humps and ledges. Fortunately, a few decent fish decided to play, but nothing over 8lbs. This stick is properly named and it handled everything Falcon Lake had to dish out and then some. The hookset power both shallow to deep is amazing and the sensitivity left nothing to be desired either. I only wish I could have stuck a true giant in the thick stuff because I have no doubt, it would have come out!

The Power Versatile was used for everything from the Strike King 10XD to large squarebills to swim jigs to swimbaits to mag flukes and 7" senkos. It's hard to imagine a rod that can do all of those things and do them as well as the Power Versatile! I would have liked a longer handle for the 10XD, but the blank made casting and retrieving the almost 2 oz mega crankbait much easier than anticipated.

The Nautilus was used for spinnerbaits from 1/2 to 1oz, mag flukes, 1/2 to 3/4 oz jigs in open water, DD22's, 6XD's, 5" senkos, and a few other baits. Again, the range of capabilities of this rod and it's impressive sensitivity make fishing it an absolute joy. Even in strong winds, I was easily able to detect jig bites and drive home solid hook sets on some quality fish. This rod is a real winner.

The Destruction was used more than anything as a mid depth cranking rod. There was a decent bite in the 8' to 12' range around the outside edges of some very heavy cover and the fish would usually head straight into it once hooked. The Destruction has the perfect mix of flex and power to keep them out of the nasty stuff, but if they did get in there, it did a great job of turning them the other way.

The Super Stallion spent most of it's time tossing swim jigs back into the nasty thorny weeds, standing timber, and small cedar trees that were flooded from the rising waters. Time and again, it's sensitivity telegraphed strikes with ease and it's power got the fish out of there in a hurry.

The Cover Hacking was my dedicated squarebill rod. This was my shortest available, lighter powered rod and it ended up being the one that brought the big fish of the trip to the boat.

I was tossing a big squarebill back in and around a bunch of standing timber when she inhaled the bait. Instantly, I knew it was a beast. She made a hard run under the boat pulling drag on the R+ (thank you Carbontex!) and headed for the trees. I added pressure and she turned, running back around the boat tangling the line in the trolling motor (thank you Samurai Braid!). I held pressure on her as she ran back toward more standing timber. My fishing partner was freaking out holding the net when he saw her surface while wrapped around the trolling motor and I had no choice but to drop the rod down under the motor, momentarily releasing pressure on this giant. It was a risky move, but the only way I had a chance to stop her from wrapping around the trees. Fortunately, the gear held up and she was hooked securely. Shortly thereafter, I brought her back to the boat and she was netted, weighed, photographed, and released unharmed to make more giant Falcon Lake bass! 11.8lbs

We were bid farewell by a beautiful sunset over the shores of Mexico after several days of hard fishing before daylight till dark. It's no secret that Falcon Lake is a special fishery and a place I hope to visit again sooner rather than later!

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Falcon Lake & A Tackle Workout...

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Great photos, captions, and explanations! Sounds like another great trip to Falcon. =D>

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Not sure whether to cuss you or congratulate you (for the fish, not the beard).

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Not guna lie... I'm SUPER jealous ! :lol:

But congrats on a awesome trip !!! =D>

nuocmam1222
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nuocmam1222 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:43 pm

you are the man sir! add another one for your fish of a lifetime!! =D> =D> =D>

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Monsters !!

What was your favorite setup'?

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:23 am

Sounds like an excellent trip Gary. Great review on the rods and their capabilities. 11.8 is a very nice fish =D>

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:32 am

Excellent Gary! Congrats on the 11.8. =D>

BTW - what is your PB?

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:43 am

is falcon lake = international falcon reservoir?

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:54 am

Nice job gary!!!! =D> \:D/

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:57 am

Another excellent post. =D>

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:03 am

haoz wrote:is falcon lake = international falcon reservoir?
Yes as stated and discussed in this months "Field & Stream."

pobigred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pobigred » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:29 am

A truly stunning display of tackle utilized with great explanation as to the uses. This will really help a lot of people, even if they are not fishing Falcon. Fishing Falcon is on my bucket list.

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:49 am

Great fish, great gear, awesome trip!!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 am

Wow...what little kids like us endeavor to do someday Gary! :mrgreen: 8-) :big grin: