Snook, and others...

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Snook, and others...

Post by PCSnooker » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:33 pm

I believe I may have found a weakness in the reel seat hood foregrip assembly in the omen green casting rod, though most likely user error. I must have considerably over tightened the seat when putting the tatula on the rod and when attempting to remove it tonight for a spool bearing clean and re-lube the for grip separated from the hood. I was able to get the hood down after a good bit of effort and popped the fore grip back Into it, but it seems that I will now have to repeat this same process every time I need to remove the reel. Soooooo... If you pick up an omen green, be sure not to cave man the locking down of the seat and get the hood stuck on the rod/reel. Live and learn. It is still a fantastic rod however.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:51 am

Would you rate the Omen green over the tatula as an all around rod? Still on the fence fr a do it all rod for fishing down here in the salt.

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:27 pm

white84z wrote:Would you rate the Omen green over the tatula as an all around rod? Still on the fence fr a do it all rod for fishing down here in the salt.
I think if I had to choose one rod and one only it would be the omen for sure. It limber tip and ample backbone just lend themselves to the majority f the techniques one would encounter in the salt.

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:59 am

Picked up a few more fish on the t3, tatula rod combos including the first bass that I've caught in a while... I don't do much freshwater fishing as the nearest lake is lake O', and I don't have a boat set up to fish it.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:33 am

I miss fishing for trout in Florida, those things are monsters compared to the run of the mill trouser trout down here. Trout are so over fished its crazy, I have yet to land one over 20" since I moved. However, we have some monster reds down here, except I can never convince one to take a lure. Great looking pics as usual.

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:08 am

Caught five of these guys yesterday evening ranging from this lil' guy to one approx seven lbs. Jerkbaits have really been producing for me lately, especially the glass ghost x-rap. I do have a few lc pointers and a few of the yo-zuri 3ds on the way and hope to get similar, or better results on those, though the x-rap is really hard to beat so far.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:19 am

PCSnooker wrote:Caught five of these guys yesterday evening ranging from this lil' guy to one approx seven lbs. Jerkbaits have really been producing for me lately, especially the glass ghost x-rap. I do have a few lc pointers and a few of the yo-zuri 3ds on the way and hope to get similar, or better results on those, though the x-rap is really hard to beat so far.
Yeah man, jerkbaits are the best lure out there in the salt in my opinion, and its nice to not have to re-rig constantly after catches.They catch basically every fish that swims. Something about that erratic action really triggers these predators to strike. The X-rap is one of the best at that. Usually only bring three rods in the salt these days with a topwater, hard jerk and soft jerk.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:53 pm

What make/model is that spinning rod with the Stradic?

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:12 pm

dragon1 wrote:What make/model is that spinning rod with the Stradic?
It's a 7'6" star rods seagis 8-17lb. They're pretty light/robust rods. I had a couple of the 10-20 lb spinning rods with a 3000 sized penn and pulled in a 33' cobia on it. I've since given them away as I tend to favor longer rods these days.
http://www.seastriker.com/starrods/styled-40/index.html

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:36 pm

PCSnooker wrote:
dragon1 wrote:What make/model is that spinning rod with the Stradic?
It's a 7'6" star rods seagis 8-17lb. They're pretty light/robust rods. I had a couple of the 10-20 lb spinning rods with a 3000 sized penn and pulled in a 33' cobia on it. I've since given them away as I tend to favor longer rods these days.
http://www.seastriker.com/starrods/styled-40/index.html
Nice looking rods...thanks for the info!

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:46 am

Picked up a little snook within the first few casts on the yo-zuri 3db jerkbait and another smaller one shortly there after.

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:00 am

The 3db jerkbait seems to draw strikes well at night too.

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:19 am

And the Zillion coastal has finally found a home on a dobyns 706cb. Talk about looking/feeling like they were made for eachother.

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:54 am

And a couple fish on the pointer100

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:08 am

Which is more sensitive for bottom contact between the 13 omen and tatula?