Show off your BFS Casting Reels

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Show off your BFS Casting Reels

Post by Thor » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:36 am

The magnets in the Avail system do take some serious tweaking, depending on your baits and casting style. Even when you determine how many, you can play with polarity combinations and position along the circumference of the magnet holder. My casting is almost always small baits and to get the distance I wanted, the magnets had to go. Yes, a little magnetic control would be nice but it keeps me on my toes and makes me pay attention. No, it doesn't backlash on me, I've done this a time or two.

Now, the SS Air is a completely different matter.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:46 am

Thor wrote:The magnets in the Avail system do take some serious tweaking, depending on your baits and casting style. Even when you determine how many, you can play with polarity combinations and position along the circumference of the magnet holder. My casting is almost always small baits and to get the distance I wanted, the magnets had to go. Yes, a little magnetic control would be nice but it keeps me on my toes and makes me pay attention. No, it doesn't backlash on me, I've done this a time or two.

So you dont use any mags at all ?

Maybe im not as skilled, but ive done my best with centrifugal braking. 2-4 pins on with 6lb line and i tend to get the best results. I get the most distance and less overruns/backlash...

Theres so many options with the avail mag systems its almost overwhelming. Ive played with the mag system now on my conquest and bfs xg and keep going back to the centrifugal braking, lol.

I honestly need a better thumb, i cant imagine fishing with no brakes on...

I havent used the abus yet, "ltz/ltx" but i have a decent amount of experience now with centrifugal and avail mag brake systems. I have used the ss air, and stock alphas platforms. I have considered trying a megabass hedgehog, but its a big investment if i end up not liking it. The reel that has my attention right now is the ktf pixy... :big grin:

http://www.karil.co.jp/online_shop/sys/ ... p=PXSF-L-P

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:29 pm

My Aldebaran is stock and struggles with light baits compared to my tricked Morrum. The stock Morrum struggled in the same way. I think it illustrates how much difference adding the avail parts makes to already good reels. Pretty pointless saying your aldebaran can cast super light baits when it's no longer stock. Ticks me off that the aldebaran and pixy are sold as finesse reels but they are so far short of their potential or actual usefulness.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm a little confused. Your Morrum struggled with light baits until you tricked it out with Avail parts. Now, it works better with light baits. I add some Avail parts to an Aldebaran and it performs better but it's pointless to discuss the results? Sorry, I will need to get a TT member from Canada to explain that one to me.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:23 pm

the hooligan wrote:
Thor wrote:The magnets in the Avail system do take some serious tweaking, depending on your baits and casting style. Even when you determine how many, you can play with polarity combinations and position along the circumference of the magnet holder. My casting is almost always small baits and to get the distance I wanted, the magnets had to go. Yes, a little magnetic control would be nice but it keeps me on my toes and makes me pay attention. No, it doesn't backlash on me, I've done this a time or two.

Maybe im not as skilled, but ive done my best with centrifugal braking. 2-4 pins on with 6lb line and i tend to get the best results. I get the most distance and less overruns/backlash...

Theres so many options with the avail mag systems its almost overwhelming. Ive played with the mag system now on my conquest and bfs xg and keep going back to the centrifugal braking, lol.

I havent used the abus yet, "ltz/ltx" but i have a decent amount of experience now with centrifugal and avail mag brake systems. I have used the ss air, and stock alphas platforms. I have considered trying a megabass hedgehog, but its a big investment if i end up not liking it. The reel that has my attention right now is the ktf pixy... :big grin:

I have been eyeing those Pixy since they released it on the 3rd... I don't like purple but you should pull the trigger :big grin:

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:37 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:My Aldebaran is stock and struggles with light baits compared to my tricked Morrum. The stock Morrum struggled in the same way. I think it illustrates how much difference adding the avail parts makes to already good reels. Pretty pointless saying your aldebaran can cast super light baits when it's no longer stock. Ticks me off that the aldebaran and pixy are sold as finesse reels but they are so far short of their potential or actual usefulness.
In the u.s, an 1/8oz shakeyhead, or weightless senko is considered finesse fishing. All my stock 50 series platforms and pixys can handle that easily. Once you get into the 1/16 range and lighter is where you have to have an aftermarket spool/bearings or its not happening. Theres only a few stock reels that are doing that out of the box , the SS air, hedgehog, ltz/ltx... alphas finesse custom/bfs xg are questionable...

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:47 pm

IAY wrote:
the hooligan wrote:

I have been eyeing those Pixy since they released it on the 3rd... I don't like purple but you should pull the trigger :big grin:
Haha, im taking my time. No rush. Doing alot of research when i decide to add a daiwa/megabass back into the aresanal again...

The ss air is the easy answer, i just dont like the reel and how it palms... I like the alphas platform the best from the daiwa lineup, fits in my hand the best, feels solid. Second would be the pixy. Ideally, i want lightweight, 6.8 gears or faster, and the air spool and the ktf pixy seems to fit the bill :) :)

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:26 pm

Thor wrote:I'm a little confused. Your Morrum struggled with light baits until you tricked it out with Avail parts. Now, it works better with light baits. I add some Avail parts to an Aldebaran and it performs better but it's pointless to discuss the results? Sorry, I will need to get a TT member from Canada to explain that one to me.
You are being obtuse. I compared my tricked morrum to my Aldebaran originally to demonstrate how much better the avail spool and bits made the reel than a standard reel which was supposed to be for casting light baits. So the Aldebaran was just put there as a datum line. I'm sure your tricked aldebaran casts light baits very well, but it's not very helpful as a comparison, unless you are comparing it to a stock reel.

carl-c
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by carl-c » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:31 pm

Blue on that core looks AWESOME !

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:26 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Farnorth wrote:Here is mine.
Aldebaran MG
Livre Handle
Hedgehog /Avail Gunmetal Parts
Yumeya BFS Spool
HedgeHog Air Bearings
Clean and classy
X2 The Livre handle rocks on this reel. This is a heavy hitter, or should I say light hitter. =D>

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:43 am

Tim Kelly wrote:
Thor wrote:I'm a little confused. Your Morrum struggled with light baits until you tricked it out with Avail parts. Now, it works better with light baits. I add some Avail parts to an Aldebaran and it performs better but it's pointless to discuss the results? Sorry, I will need to get a TT member from Canada to explain that one to me.
You are being obtuse. I compared my tricked morrum to my Aldebaran originally to demonstrate how much better the avail spool and bits made the reel than a standard reel which was supposed to be for casting light baits. So the Aldebaran was just put there as a datum line. I'm sure your tricked aldebaran casts light baits very well, but it's not very helpful as a comparison, unless you are comparing it to a stock reel.
A tricked morrum CAN be compared with a tricked aldebaran. Believe it or not once the the spool, bearing, and cast control mechanism is replaced, in respect to casting you essentially have a completely different reel.

Whether stock or modified the Aldebaran has inate benefits in the design. That being a longer distance between spool and levelwind, a lighter reel (I found that lightness is only important to BFS)

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:22 pm

carl-c wrote:Blue on that core looks AWESOME !

you mean D7?

springcreek
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by springcreek » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:29 am

After long wait, I finally pulled the trigger on this one. Exchange rate and google translator helped some. I wish I had taken my Japanese class more seriously during college :lol: . The spool weighs 4.9g without the bearing. All "stock" for now. It will be spooled with 6lb super natural.

springcreek
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by springcreek » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:35 am

Another one of my favorite setup for crappie fishing. Upgraded with Avail BFS trout spool.

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:46 am

springcreek wrote:After long wait, I finally pulled the trigger on this one. Exchange rate and google translator helped some. I wish I had taken my Japanese class more seriously during college :lol: . The spool weighs 4.9g without the bearing. All "stock" for now. It will be spooled with 6lb super natural.
That's Awesome, would love one of those.
I really wanted the alphas version of that. Tried the lottery 3x.
But now I guess I have better.