Show off your BFS Casting Reels

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Show off your BFS Casting Reels

Post by Mcyl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:44 pm

Thor wrote:I applaud your ingenuity but do have one question. Why the heavy duty line guide with 4 pound fluoro? Try some boron nitride for lube.
The LTZ comes with 2 spools, one with 8lb/50m capacity the other 8lb/100m capacity.
I use the deeper spool for much heavier braid which I found could still cast very light. This setup I use straight PE cats pawed onto light hardbodies with a single jig hook. This is also why I upgraded the drag. As with rods… one would be very surprised how light the PHX-682L or X9 can cast yet how much load it can take and keep on hanging….

I changed it up after the original pawl failed and gouged out parts of the original aluminium levelwind shaft.
This reel I was planning to get it painted and dolled up with hedgehog parts…but I kinda like this "results" only tune.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:03 am

Thor wrote:I applaud your ingenuity but do have one question. Why the heavy duty line guide with 4 pound fluoro? Try some boron nitride for lube.
Assuming that he wants a more robust line guide for the longer/harder running species he chases...some SW fishing as well?

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:37 am

dragon1 wrote:
Assuming that he wants a more robust line guide for the longer/harder running species he chases...some SW fishing as well?
That and I think he runs a really thin braid under that flouro. Way to think outside the box.

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:49 am

Mcyl wrote:This should be a bit of a system shock to Y'all, in fact I could think of a common poster here fainting:

Abu Revo LTZ AE-74.
KTF IXA finesse bearings.
heavy duty levelwind and worm drive from Revo inshore G2 (hence removal of front plate.
Revo rocket 9.0:1 Gearset
Polished drag and other internals.
x1.5 drag springs in (() config.
Sanded epoxy coat on handles for grip.
Tungsten Disulfide dry lube.
Spool to frame tolerance further down so that the even 4lb FC can't slip between the spool.

Used approx 2hrs a day, 5days a week every week since may '13. with a PB fish was 23lb
It's my finesse workhorse.
i love this. reminds of the run what ya brung mentality, but total sleeper mode.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:21 pm

white84z wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
That and I think he runs a really thin braid under that flouro. Way to think outside the box.
Not in this pic, but yes it is a setup I do employ. with a 8lb/50m FC capacity I can roughly double that with a 35m x 7lb topshotted onto a very thin (Tasline 8lb dia 0.114mm) line. This way I get optimum casts, line protection from surges and the ability to let fish run if the opportunity presents itself.
However for SW fishing the deeper spool can easily accommodate 150m of light PE such as sunline Castaway.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:28 pm

Derek777 wrote:
Mcyl wrote:This should be a bit of a system shock to Y'all, in fact I could think of a common poster here fainting:

Abu Revo LTZ AE-74.
KTF IXA finesse bearings.
heavy duty levelwind and worm drive from Revo inshore G2 (hence removal of front plate.
Revo rocket 9.0:1 Gearset
Polished drag and other internals.
x1.5 drag springs in (() config.
Sanded epoxy coat on handles for grip.
Tungsten Disulfide dry lube.
Spool to frame tolerance further down so that the even 4lb FC can't slip between the spool.

Used approx 2hrs a day, 5days a week every week since may '13. with a PB fish was 23lb
It's my finesse workhorse.
i love this. reminds of the run what ya brung mentality, but total sleeper mode.
The most difficult mod was to close up the frame to spool tolerance. it involved about 5 layers of epoxy then a mild cut with jewellers rouge. It's gotta be the ugliest BFS reel around but the combo of dry lube, open front end enables quick rinsing.

I'd love to make something attractive yet of the highest performance someday. Currently working on a Scorpion BFS DC.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:32 am

What do you plan to do with the scorpion? I'm assuming remove the DC unit from the spool?

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:07 am

Bootytrain wrote:What do you plan to do with the scorpion? I'm assuming remove the DC unit from the spool?
Fitting a lighter, weaker magnet on and aftermarket spool works.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:08 am

Mcyl wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:What do you plan to do with the scorpion? I'm assuming remove the DC unit from the spool?
Im not familiar with any aftermarket spools for DC reels but keep us updated on the progress. FYI do you know where the "optical eye" is on the scorpion dc?

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:49 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Mcyl wrote:
Im not familiar with any aftermarket spools for DC reels but keep us updated on the progress. FYI do you know where the "optical eye" is on the scorpion dc?
There isn't one that I know if. The magnets spins in a coil generating a current, braking is applied probably by varying resistance across the coils. RPM could be also measured across this.

I am not certain if DC reels are really actively monitoring changes in spool speed or just applying a preset braking profile. I suspect it's the latter. It could be case of a counter with a profile say 6ohms for first 200 revolutions, 3 for next 1000, 8ohms after that etc.
I'm not sure where the whining comes from either

Bantam, can you correct or elaborate??

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:56 am

Here is my arsenal of "light duty" "BFS" reels..

Cardiff 51SDC, Bassart handle and knobs
Conquest 51S, Bassart handle and knobs
Yellow Pixy, ZPI CP201 spool, ZPI handle, Daiwa corks (upgrade to 6.8 gears this winter)
PX Type R, red drag star, Megabass knobs
BBS, Presso spool, 6.3 Steez gears, Steez drag star, RCS handle, Megabass knobs.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:35 am

Good351 wrote:Here is my arsenal of "light duty" "BFS" reels..

Yellow Pixy, ZPI CP201 spool, ZPI handle, Daiwa corks (upgrade to 6.8 gears this winter)
BBS, Presso spool, 6.3 Steez gears, Steez drag star, RCS handle, Megabass knobs.

Sick collection! Is the Cardiff DC worth the money?

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:53 am

Bootytrain wrote:

Sick collection! Is the Cardiff DC worth the money?
Thanks!
Is the Cardiff 51SDC worth the money? Maybe.. I know it puts a big smile on my face every time I use it! :big grin: I love throwing little cranks with it..the DC whine adds to the experience.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 am

Dude! Your modded BBS is one of the most original and off-the-wall, out-of-the-box thinking creations I have ever seen! AWESOME!

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:32 am

Thanks Dragon,
You can read a bit more about the Big Bass Special here: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=40024
Better pics too..