Show off your BFS Casting Reels

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Show off your BFS Casting Reels

Post by Martin Lo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:34 pm

goldrod wrote:How can you tell if your spool is magnesium or not besides soaking it in saltwater for a week?

That's a nice D7, the blue really pops on it.. I like that..
Aluminium tends to be anodised Mg protective costs aren't as lustrous

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:38 pm

goldrod wrote:How can you tell if your spool is magnesium or not besides soaking it in saltwater for a week?

That's a nice D7, the blue really pops on it.. I like that..
thanks, I had the stock parts anodized to match the spool.

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Martin Lo wrote:The rod and reel had to comply with a few parameters.
SW use, vertical & horizontal presentations, ability for hard/rapid casts.
Then it just has to be best it can be.
We've come up with this, a working rod prototype and a reel dubbed ISA.
Here is what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJA8jolbfKg
And here is what it does :
[youtube]HJA8jolbfKg[/youtube]
Thank you Ian and Aaron for making this happen!
Is that a T3 Air spool? It looks like it. Recently I had wondered if the diameter of the spool was right why someone hadn't tried this. Was it a direct fit or did it require modifications? Thanks. Looks great!

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:19 pm

Adaptations were made, and well worth it IMO!

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:14 am

Martin Lo wrote:Adaptations were made, and well worth it IMO!
Awesome. I've got a T3 Air, so I know how easy that spool cast. I'm sure in it's fun in an Alphas.

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:20 am

Aaronb wrote:
Awesome. I've got a T3 Air, so I know how easy that spool cast. I'm sure in it's fun in an Alphas.
I've fished it, mainly due to its smaller frame and perhaps alloy frame. In an alphas it feels more refined. Casting funnily enough...is different.

I wonder of the T3 Air and SS air share the same spool?

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:32 am

How does it hold up against decent size Barra?

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:49 pm

aussiebasser wrote:How does it hold up against decent size Barra?
The rod or reel?

I think that spool will implode in 3 seconds under a decent barra regardless of line class. I've ordered a spare spool, once it arrives I'll start working my way up the species Dale, starting with jungle perch :-D

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:36 pm

Martin Lo wrote:
Aaronb wrote:
I've fished it, mainly due to its smaller frame and perhaps alloy frame. In an alphas it feels more refined. Casting funnily enough...is different.

I'm pretty sure it's the same spool. Of course I could be wrong though. I wonder how it compares to the Zonda finesse spool. I've never used one, but the reviews are great.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:34 pm

My little Morrum 3601 SX. Avail spool and handle with bearings from a guy in Sweden. Much better than my Aldebaran with the light stuff.

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:08 am

Aaronb wrote:
Martin Lo wrote:
Aaronb wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's the same spool. Of course I could be wrong though. I wonder how it compares to the Zonda finesse spool. I've never used one, but the reviews are great.
I've used MB finesse spools with 2 separate Alphas Type Rs on two occasions. They have the ability to cast quite light and behaves like other shallow spools ie rewards the smooth cast.

The Air spool allows the same smooth casts with similar distance, but the AIR brake allows me to cast in any angle, abrupt casts or simply swinging for the fences. It's totally unflappable.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:35 am

Tim Kelly wrote:SNIP
My little Morrum 3601 SX. Avail spool and handle with bearings from a guy in Sweden. Much better than my Aldebaran with the light stuff.
Very underrated reels for finesse. Preferred my Morrums I sold to the Alphas platform for 1/8 - 1/4 total weight.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:27 am

igl00jx wrote:
Tim Kelly wrote:SNIP
Very underrated reels for finesse. Preferred my Morrums I sold to the Alphas platform for 1/8 - 1/4 total weight.

Agreed. I had a pixy I couldn't get on with at all. The avail spool, 4 pin brake and hedgehog bearings made the Morrum a far superior lightweight casting reel. The aldebaran is OK down to 3/16, but much below that it struggles, unlike the tricked morrum. Love the Aldebaran for pitching senkos though!

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:15 am

It's interesting to hear comments like these regarding the Aldebaran. I have been using one now for a couple of years and 1/16 oz baits are a piece of cake. Specifically, F5 Rapalas are great baits for smallmouth and spring can bring some wind that can create problems but the Aldebaran performs beautifully. Mine has bearings, the Avail spool, magnetic control but I pull the magnets out. I also use 4 pound test, mono, so my knots are as strong as possible. Great drag as well with upgraded washers. It replaced my Pixy with a ZPI spool. I do believe that the SS Air is going to be the new winner in this game.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:01 am

Thor wrote:It's interesting to hear comments like these regarding the Aldebaran. I have been using one now for a couple of years and 1/16 oz baits are a piece of cake. Specifically, F5 Rapalas are great baits for smallmouth and spring can bring some wind that can create problems but the Aldebaran performs beautifully. Mine has bearings, the Avail spool, magnetic control but I pull the magnets out. I also use 4 pound test, mono, so my knots are as strong as possible. Great drag as well with upgraded washers. It replaced my Pixy with a ZPI spool. I do believe that the SS Air is going to be the new winner in this game.
Yeah with the right rod the Aldebaran is great for 1/8th and slightly under. Makes me wonder how many brakes people use? Ive found the lighter the weight, I get more distance with at least 4 brakes on.