Show off your BFS Casting Reels

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Show off your BFS Casting Reels

Post by Chicagoed » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:19 am

Derek777 wrote:My two humble reels arent to the level of the previous awesome pieces of eye candy with regards to customization, but I feel that they will stand up to any bfs reel out there right out of the box.

First up, a Daiwa T3 Air 8.6R-TW. This by far is the most amazing reel I have ever had the pleasure of casting. Effortless casting of light lures to incredible distances that I've never experienced before or thought possible. Plus, ergonomically, its a dream. Smooth drag too!

Second up is a Megabass IS73 Competition Carrozzeria Custom Ito with Megabass Honeycomb Baitfinesse Spool. This little reel is a dream as well to cast as well as being major eye candy. I, for one, love the little finesse knobs as well. Originally it was paired up with a Megabass Eiger Northwall, with which I won 2 tournaments directly as a result of that combo, so the MB bfs monkey mojo is strong in this one.
Derek, I've been seriously considering picking up a T3 Air. How far, in yards, can u cast and what is the weight of the lightest bait u throw? I have an MGX, Steez, and An FX68 that I have attempted to use for light finesse casting. My best cast goes out maybe 15-20 yards. I was hoping to get at least a 50 yard cast using a 1/8 oz lure but can't seem to make it work. An insights on the T3 Air would be helpful.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:20 am

LOL just noticed Derek's post is a couple years old. My bad. ](*,)

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:55 am

IMO 50 yards is very far, very very far. I can't even get 50 yards on a weightless senko and it's about 3/8oz. About 38 yards on a medium rod with a T3 1016. I tested it on a football field too. 50 yards is longer than people think. You'll realize it when you're actually on it.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:38 pm

Chicagoed wrote:Derek, I've been seriously considering picking up a T3 Air. How far, in yards, can u cast and what is the weight of the lightest bait u throw? I have an MGX, Steez, and An FX68 that I have attempted to use for light finesse casting. My best cast goes out maybe 15-20 yards. I was hoping to get at least a 50 yard cast using a 1/8 oz lure but can't seem to make it work. An insights on the T3 Air would be helpful.
50 yards isn't going to happen with a true 1/8 oz. or 3.5 grams. 100ft would be a great cast for that.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:49 pm

Wow, that really helps put it in perspective for me. I guess my expectations were too high. So what is an acceptable distance for an above average bfs setup? 80 ft? 100ft?

lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lil_man72 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:07 pm

yes, i'd say with an 1/8oz. jig 80ft. is a good cast and 100ft. with a little help from the wind is possible...
i've just started playing with my 2 bfs reels and throwing an 1/8th ounce crappie jig with a small single tail hula/skirted grub i can reach 80ft... and with the 1/16th ounce jig head with small crappie jig could only get around 45 or 50ft.
those are the 2 jigs in the pic i posted.. i probably wont be throwing quite that small/light of a bait but just wanted to test these 2 out compared to the px-r i've had for a while... they blow the px-r away in ease of casting this small of baits....
the px-r can cast the 1/8th ounce shakey heads with around a 5" finesse worm pretty good as that's the smallest im used to fishing and a few bigger weightless plastics so the ss air and ktf pixy should make it that much easier for me this next season...

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:59 pm

Chicagoed wrote:Wow, that really helps put it in perspective for me. I guess my expectations were too high. So what is an acceptable distance for an above average bfs setup? 80 ft? 100ft?
Depends on the lure really. Most hard lures that weight like the rapala ul minnow don't have weight transfer systems. Maybe a 1/16 jig head with a small trailer or 1/8 rooster tail will be dense enough to come close to those distances.

savacs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by savacs » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:31 pm

Hope it is ok to post this in here.

It's a casting shootout between T3 Air, Aldy BFS and Revo LTZ....

You have to measure a distance to be able to say how much you casted. The 4.3g lure was casted up to 35 meters (a little over 100yds), and it seemed VERY FAR AWAY :)....

http://asavacustom.com/en/casting-with- ... -shootout/

cbream
Angler
Angler

Post by cbream » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:35 pm

Sorry, 35 meters is not over a 100 yards.

lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lil_man72 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:02 pm

yea i think he means feet.... 3 feet to a yard.... i don't think you'll see a bfs reel reach 300 feet with a bait twice that weight...

savacs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by savacs » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:31 pm

Sorry... i ment feet :D My bad

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:06 am

lil_man72 wrote:Image
Oh boy.. I want that KTF Pixy...

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:28 am

This is my first BFS reel, haven't had a chance to fish it yet as I just finished it about 2 weeks ago. Still looking for the "right" rod for it as well.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:45 pm

savacs wrote:Hope it is ok to post this in here.

It's a casting shootout between T3 Air, Aldy BFS and Revo LTZ....

You have to measure a distance to be able to say how much you casted. The 4.3g lure was casted up to 35 meters (a little over 100yds), and it seemed VERY FAR AWAY :)....

http://asavacustom.com/en/casting-with- ... -shootout/
Nice work savacs. One thing I notice with the Aldebaran, when using under 1/8oz, it's better to use more brakes. At least 3 or 4. Overrun will decrease, and distance will increase.

savacs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by savacs » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:31 pm

It worked with 2 blocks for the 2.5g lure, without backlash, but I was casting 2-3 meters less . That's why I activated 1 block and adjusted the tension knob accordingly... to be able to cast 2-3 meters longer.